Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Target Shooting
12 July 2012, 14:16,
Target Shooting
I've been going to my local rifle range for a couple of months now.
I'm not the best shot in the world by a long way, but I'm not crap either. Been changing my stance / grip etc to try and find the best firing position. I drink a lot of Red Bull, so I've tried to knock that on the head before I go to the range to see if that helps with my aim at all. No, still not consistent enough for my liking. Tried many, many things, and whilst I am improving, I don't feel I'm getting better as quickly as I should.

I've got a bit of a bad back at the moment (probably the wife kicking me whilst I sleep) so I took a couple of valium to ease the pain, then went off to the range...

I was half expecting to be all over the place, but the opposite happened. Much tighter groupings, bullseyes on the first shots, even on my last target when I went a bit "Rambo" and pumped 30 shots at it as quick as possible (semi auto) I was still better than I have been previously.

I know people say drugs and guns don't mix, but they certainly help with your aim Smile
12 July 2012, 14:19,
RE: Target Shooting
Oh I wish I could spend a few hours coaching you, I could get you doing 25 mm groups at 50 yards in half a day.

12 July 2012, 14:20,
dont mess with that valium mate it will grab you before you no it its bad siht
just read alas Babylon ,so im going to get more salt!!!!
12 July 2012, 14:21,
No coffee, tea, coke or energy drinks when your shooting and you must learn to load and reload without your aim or eye moving off target, you should olny squeeze the trigger halway through an exhale when your body is calmest.

12 July 2012, 14:22, (This post was last modified: 12 July 2012, 14:27 by 00111001.)
(12 July 2012, 14:19)NorthernRaider Wrote: Oh I wish I could spend a few hours coaching you, I could get you doing 25 mm groups at 50 yards in half a day.

Coaching would be greatly appreciated. People in the club are friendly and all, but they just say "practice more" - which in essence is correct, but if my technique is shit to start with practicing the shit technique isn't going to make me a better shot!

(12 July 2012, 14:20)Barneyboy Wrote: dont mess with that valium mate it will grab you before you no it its bad siht

Thanks for the warning.

I used to get the 50mgs tabs when I first knackered my neck. The doctor told me I'd only need to take one a day and I'd be pain free and able to move. Lying turd - after 2 months I was taking 8 a day and still going off to the pub for a few beers.

The one's I have now are just the 10s. I was gifted them by a friend. I'm going to build up a stockpile of them for after TSHTF, but I do have a certain penchant for diazepam.

I think it was the muscle relaxant effects that helped my aim. Cause of my neck I can get muscle spasms which cause the muscles in by back and shoulders to tighten, which isn't any good when you're trying to hold the rifle steady!
12 July 2012, 17:39,
Drugs and Alcohol and guns dont mix, there is bound to be an accident and someone will get shot, even sober people carrying loaded guns over a fence have ended up with someone shot....usually in the backside, never point a gun at anyone else, even if you think its unloaded. guns arent toys..dont treat them as such.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
12 July 2012, 17:56,
(12 July 2012, 14:22)00111001 Wrote: Coaching would be greatly appreciated. People in the club are friendly and all, but they just say "practice more" - which in essence is correct, but if my technique is shit to start with practicing the shit technique isn't going to make me a better shot!

Absolutely right.
"Practise makes perfect" is seriously misleading. I prefer "practise makes permenant". Practising with bad form is just going to ingrain those bad habits into your mind-muscle connection and will make it 10x harder to correct your form later down the line.
This is true of pretty much any sport/technique that has a "textbook" approach.
12 July 2012, 20:24,
Digital.
I'm stunned that the only thing your local gun club membership said was "practice more".
Do you seriously belong to a gun club where there is NO ONE who can coach you?
Are there are no NRA qualified coaches there ????????
Crikey man, I hope you don't pay range fees as well.

Drugs, stimulants, and a quote of "I do have a certain penchant for diazepam" which I sincerly hope you are joking about. I hope you don't wash them down with beer and then go shooting.

I'm curious, did you tell them at the range you'd popped a valium?
If you did and they didn't stop you shooting I'd love to know the name of the range.

12 July 2012, 22:02,
Paul,

I'm with you there. All the clubs I've gone too even as a visitor have had people who can help you improve. I don't know why you are staying there if they can't even do that.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
13 July 2012, 09:04,
(12 July 2012, 20:24)Paul Wrote: Digital.
I'm stunned that the only thing your local gun club membership said was "practice more".
Do you seriously belong to a gun club where there is NO ONE who can coach you?
Are there are no NRA qualified coaches there ????????
Crikey man, I hope you don't pay range fees as well.

Drugs, stimulants, and a quote of "I do have a certain penchant for diazepam" which I sincerly hope you are joking about. I hope you don't wash them down with beer and then go shooting.

I'm curious, did you tell them at the range you'd popped a valium?
If you did and they didn't stop you shooting I'd love to know the name of the range.

There are coaching sessions, but they only run when there are enough people signed up. I'm waiting on a prone coaching session, and a full bore safety certificate session.

I didn't tell anyone that I'd taken a painkiller? It's hardly a psychotropic substance.

Re: Beers & shooting: We're having a open evening at the club in August: BBQ, Beers & shooting. Only rule is don't get completely pissed and dick around.