Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I NEED POWER!
13 July 2012, 12:17,
I NEED POWER!
Right, I've decided that I need a backup power supply. This is the one department I'm lacking in (unless you speak to the wife).

The Choices:
- Genny
- solar panels and battery array
- giant 00111001 sized hamster wheel

The Generator:
I've been looking at these for a while, maybe I'm mistaken, but to get one to power my household goodies I'm gonna need a big diesel gen, 4.5kv or something in that range. But these are out of my price range.

Solar Panels:
Ok, so these are great, free power from the sun etc, and batteries to save all that lovely power - but it ain't always sunny, and they're quite expensive, especially when you get to the batteries etc.

Hamster wheel:
I'm too lazy

The Compromise:

So I may be wrong here (or just plain stupid) so please correct / ridicule / generally abuse me if I am indeed being retarded, but I'm thinking that I could get a smaller petrol genny, just a wee little one, and use that to charge an array of leisure batteries. That's got me an immediate source of power (I'm in a hurry to get this up and running) with the disadvantage that I need fuel to run it. But I should be able to add in solar panels and a charge controller at a later date?

Whaddya think? Is this a viable option to get me a backup power supply ASAP with the view to move it to a more sustainable source in the future?
13 July 2012, 12:38,
RE: I NEED POWER!
Solar Panels, or wind or turbine depending on location, with a genny to back it up and keep it topped up if necessary. Make sure your genny will run on alcohol though. Long term planning. Thats what I'm looking at.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
13 July 2012, 12:40,
(13 July 2012, 12:38)Skean Dhude Wrote: Solar Panels, or wind or turbine depending on location, with a genny to back it up and keep it topped up if necessary. Make sure your genny will run on alcohol though. Long term planning. Thats what I'm looking at.

What kind of genny runs on booze? Apart from that bird down the local...

Got any links please sir?
13 July 2012, 12:58,
I have a book on it. I was more thinking of taking an existing diesel genny and modding it to run on alcohol. Of course easier said than done. I'm looking for an old genny somewhere where I can play.
Skean Dhude
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
13 July 2012, 13:09,
Pretty sure I posted an article linking to a web site where you can get basic PV kits from £400 only yesterday, unless my meds have me hallucinating.

13 July 2012, 13:45,
NR, We need to find a project for you to do from your bed. Any suggestions?
Skean Dhude
13 July 2012, 14:13,
Deflowering virgins ? Smile

13 July 2012, 14:49,
(13 July 2012, 14:13)NorthernRaider Wrote: Deflowering virgins ? Smile

i dont think your back is up to that!!!TongueBig Grin
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
13 July 2012, 19:05,
blahahaha....anyway thats my job xD
13 July 2012, 22:19,
Not read all the thread but for your info solar only needs day light not sun of course nice sunny day is good stuff but daylight will recharge your batts, solar and a small generator is good setup.
Do not look for a sanctuary in anyone except your self    ཨོཾ་མ་ཎི་པདྨེ་ཧཱུྃ