Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
rice storage
14 July 2012, 19:48,
rice storage
hi all just a quick one has any one kept rice in plastic milk containers and if so whays the rotation and do you add anything etc

cheers
b/d
14 July 2012, 20:47,
RE: rice storage
Don't try this with used milk containers though. It's almost impossible to wash out the milk proteins from the plastic. (info from other prepper sites)
We keep 24 x 1kg bags of rice in their bags straight from the shops, in a simple cardboard box, in the spare bedroom wardrobe.
Our stock rotation is 1 bag a month so we get through the lot in two years with never a problem in 5 years.

14 July 2012, 20:54,
cheers mate well ive come across 10 kg rice and i was thinking of storage as i dont want 10 kg open and may not be used for a week or so ?

b/d
14 July 2012, 21:15,
I buy my white rice in sealed plastric containers of arounf 5KG (A) cos they are dirt cheap and (B) they last for ages, Dont buy brown rice as the oils in it turn sour and ruin the rice after a few months.

17 July 2012, 11:50,
(14 July 2012, 21:15)NorthernRaider Wrote: I buy my white rice in sealed plastric containers of arounf 5KG (A) cos they are dirt cheap and (B) they last for ages, Dont buy brown rice as the oils in it turn sour and ruin the rice after a few months.

Agree with Paul,

Avoid the milk containers.

But we keep rice in airtight containers large tuperware type things. Its important to keep rice dry. Damp makes it deteriorate quickly.

Second advantage of airtight containers is that the smell of the rice is kept in and doesn't attract rodents.... and if rodents do arrive the plastic boxed offer a little bit more protection to the cotents.

Interesting about brown rice NR, I didn't know that. Thanks for the tip.

LS

72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

17 July 2012, 18:02,
this would work, holds 25 letre, handle to transport......

http://www.amazon.co.uk/25-Litre-Plastic...66&sr=8-37
17 July 2012, 18:08,
Could this work for flour and oats?
17 July 2012, 18:14,
im guessing it would, i know it does oats, not sure about flour
17 July 2012, 18:22,
(17 July 2012, 18:08)Jan Wrote: Could this work for flour and oats?

Re flour. In another thread it has been recommended to store whole grains for long term storage to mill yourself.
In the case of flour keep a stock in store as flour has a limited shelf life, I keep about 20-30lbs in their original paper bags and store them in large airtight containers then rotate them out as I need them. I think NR does the same. HTHWink

Sailing away, not close to the wind.Heart
17 July 2012, 19:10,
Thanks for the update, cheers Jan