Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Learn to close it all up
3 April 2012, 19:04,
Learn to close it all up
Hi Everyone.

This might be a total noob post, but it's one that a lot of people probably overlook. I know that, because I am one of those people haha.

Today I have managed to increase my free space in my BOB by 50% simply by learning to close up my sleeping mat properly. So much for my blackbelt in origami.

The same is true with tents. Who here has ever had a tent that simply refuses to get back into the bag you got it out from?.....Yes, me too.

But it comes back to a few things. Bad planning, over estimating our own abilities, and lack of practice.

I was once told practice makes perfect. I was later told imperfect practice makes imperfect perfection (which I kind of liked).

So, the reason for this post is to get other people thinking, but also to get us all practicing.

How efficiently and quickly can you repack a poncho, sleeping bag, tent, inflaitable sleeping mat, waterproof jacket, map, space blanket, emergency tube tent/shelter or anything else like that?

If you're answers are similar to mine (very inefficiently, zip burstingly crammed in, and after a few attempts each taking longer than the last) then maybe it's time to get practicing like I will be over the next week.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
3 April 2012, 20:34,
RE: Learn to close it all up
My ex took the Army cadets very seriously lol, we used to pack our holiday bags military style.
3 April 2012, 22:28,
Customs would like that Big Grin
4 April 2012, 09:27,
I don't just mean, learning to pack your BOB's and that kind of thing. I mean, learn to pack sleeping bags and other things that have a small carry/holding case.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
4 April 2012, 17:21, (This post was last modified: 4 April 2012, 17:22 by Prep Girl.)
It's all in the folding, I have quite a large tent I air it regularly no problem getting it back in the bag.
Or the rolling as the case maybe
5 April 2012, 14:06,
I also have problems closing my stuff up. I'm not a packer. I could pack up the car and it would be full and then the missus would come along and repack it so you could get the same in again.

Some people are simply better than others at some things. I usually get the tent back in but the blow up mattresses, pillow, etc. I just can't do.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
5 April 2012, 17:59,
Just like you Skean Dhude my wife can pack things very neatly. Before we were married if I went on holiday I used a large suitcase and got all my stuff in (only just mind you) then my wife took to packing our things when we are going away, she gets everything in to one suitcase (Hers and mine) I have watched her pack many times now and still I have difficulty in following what she is doing so I just leave it up to her now. (Well that's my excuse...lol)
“From now on it is only through a conscious choice and through a deliberate policy that humanity can survive.”
Pope John Paul II
16 July 2012, 16:55,
Opposite here for me.
I can get double the amount into a bag or suitcase that SWMBO can.

But , I still let her pack it all anyway.... Big Grin
Trying very hard not to be paranoid.....and it aint getting easier.