Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
slash and stab resistant clothing
23 July 2012, 08:25,
slash and stab resistant clothing
so with knife crime on the increase there are now companies that manufacture products aimed at protecting the common man from such knife attacks, and this is one such company, their clothing is abrasion and slash resistant and some of it is even "bulletproof" and allthough expensive, for the protection afforded the prices really arent bad!....personally im think of buying some to run some tests on, and whilst they are stab resistant, i happen to know of some materials that i can use to reinforce these clothes so that they are stab resistant (look into fluid armour and shear thickening fluids, basically oobleck (cornflour and water) on steroids xD

http://www.bladerunner.tv/

anyway such clothing would be invaluable in many many situations, everything from wandering through the wilderness, to animal attacks, to violent crime, to motorbiking (coming off the bike) and lots of other things! so you guys might wanna look into this sort of stuff ~Smile
23 July 2012, 11:27,
RE: slash and stab resistant clothing
Have you looked at the stuff stretch armstrongs used to be or still are made from...

A novel application of rubber is in Stretch Armstrongâ„¢ marketed by Cap Toys (originally manufactued by Kenner Toys) and Drastic Elasticâ„¢ from Just Toys, Inc. These consist of action figures approximately 15 inches high that can be stretched up to four or five feet in length. According to a representative from Cap Toys, the skin of the Stretch Armstrongâ„¢ figure is composed of rubber latex. The body is filled with a material made from a boiled corn syrup with some moisture removed so that it forms a gel with some flow characteristics and with some memory properties. Thus, when stretched and released, the figure returns to its original shape by elastomeric recovery of the rubber skin.

Boiled corn syrup as a bullet catcher ??
maybe just strap a load of stretch armstrongs over you...TongueTongueTongue
I tried to be normal once.... Worst two minutes of my life...
23 July 2012, 11:34,
Bladerunner stuff is very cool. Scythe has a few items I think. Just remember that it is not stab resistant, just slash. So if I slashed at you with a knife you'd probably be okay, but should I stick it in you then you'll get stuck. And I'd make a hole in your lovely expensive top.
23 July 2012, 11:39,
this stuff may be neccessary in a grotty, crime ridden inner city ghetto, but in a rural situation? useful for your bug out route out of the city i suppose.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
23 July 2012, 11:44,
(23 July 2012, 11:39)bigpaul Wrote: this stuff may be neccessary in a grotty, crime ridden inner city ghetto, but in a rural situation? useful for your bug out route out of the city i suppose.

It would appear that most people who are attacked with a blade / stabbed are:

1) Stabbed more than once
2) Attacked in the leg / groin then head then torso. So a slash resistant hoody no good if I go for your thigh
3) Generally get a beating too

I prefer offence rather than defence. These items do have a place, but for £70 I could kit myself up to resist slightly more than someone and their mate Stanley. I do like the look of the razorwire hoody though...
23 July 2012, 11:50,
better to move from the city....if you are able, i left the city 13 years ago and have not been involved in any events since that would need this sort of gear, so like i say its neccessary for the city dweller or the bugging out city dweller but once out of the city you wont..probably-cant say never....need it.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
23 July 2012, 11:52, (This post was last modified: 23 July 2012, 11:55 by Hrusai.)
well im planning on treating the kevlar with a shear thickening fluid which will make it stab resistant as well, im doing some research into body armour, and i found this military liquid armor project and ive been looking into it and finding sysnthesis methods for it and all sorts so i want to run my own tests and such like and if i can make it work then ill have a nice one of a kind stab and slash resistant hoody or shirt Big Grin

and yes i know rural crime not so much but i do want to travel the world and see places and live in cities so such clothing would be useful if someone tried to mug me Tongue not to mention the fact that when getting in a scuffle when someone has a knife its a big advantage to have something slash resistant, because even a good fighter may still get clipped by a blade whilst fending off the attack, so as much as i agree with binary on the offence rather than defence i think that having an item such as this would be very useful and prevent any nasty accidents Smile

and post SHTF it can be very useful, not to mention the fact that when scrabbling through dense vegetation you can get prickled or cut by plants, so even in a wilderness this sort of futuristic material is useful! and imagine if you got attacked by a wolf xD if wearing normal clothes you'd get really cut up, but with this you can stay stronger for longer giving you a much better chance of survival.

so yes this is mostly for an urban enviroment, but it does have its strengths in the wilds!
i apoligise for how horribly american this is, but it does show the strength of reinforcing kevlar with a sheer thickening fluid!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYIWfn2Jz2g

and heres another one showing how a bag filled with this stuff can protect against a hammer blow!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GagzssoU1yo&feature=plcp
23 July 2012, 13:19,
The material is one of a class of similar materials that have been used for applications as diverse as body armor and rehabilitative exoskeletons. The material that d3o uses is a mixture of a viscous liquid and a polymer; once the d3o material has been synthesized, it is poured into a mold according to the application. When at rest (or when gently flexed), the molecules within the material can flow past one another. When a sudden deformation is applied, the molecules lock, forming a shield.

http://www.technovelgy.com/ct/Science-Fi...ewsNum=553
I tried to be normal once.... Worst two minutes of my life...
23 July 2012, 13:25,
yup Smile...im talking about the shear thickening non newtonian fluids more than the magnetorheological types, its a simple and effective solution, if you wanna try it out, just mix cornflour n water and you got a non newtonian fluid, pour it like a liquid, punch it like a solid