Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Solar Charger and Light
24 July 2012, 13:40,
Solar Charger and Light
It’s cheap and just maybe worth having for the torch alone, I would not read to much into the product info below, but would suggest that as an emergency device over a period of days should at least give some juice to power a small device long enough to be of use.

Anyone want to argue this feel free because I really don't know myself.

Bright LED light, great for camping, reading and keeping in your car
3 hours of solar charging can provide up to an hour of bright light or a 30 minute charge for your mobile phone or other devices.

1200mAh internal battery charges via the solar panel or via USB to charge your digital devices.

Charges handheld devices whilst having its internal battery charged by its solar cells or USB charge cable.

Ideal for charging mobile phones, MP3 players and more
The solar panels can charge the internal battery in as little as 12 hours or 3 hours when using the supplied USB charging cable.

Overcharge, discharge and short circuit protection.

Includes 5 connectors for the most popular mobile phones.

This portable charging system can power any handheld device anywhere, anytime. That’s not all though, the unit comes with a 60 lumen torch, perfect for reading and camping.

Its internal battery is charged either via the solar panels which take energy from the sun and store it in the battery, or from a computers’ USB port. Should the connector required for your device not be included in the pack, you can use the original USB charging cable supplied with your device.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/solar-charger-an...=298597705

[Image: N03LK_inuse.jpg]
Do not look for a sanctuary in anyone except your self    ཨོཾ་མ་ཎི་པདྨེ་ཧཱུྃ
24 July 2012, 19:06,
RE: Solar Charger and Light
Picked mine up and the item is quite decent, I was expecting crap tbh but it’s not, and the leads that come with it are useful, for the price I would have paid £4.99 just for these leads, of course I cannot offer long term information, only it’s worth the money I paid, just reserved another.
24 July 2012, 20:54,
While I can't speak specifically for this one, a lot of similar devices are a bit of scam in that the "solar" part is very very slow to charge the internal battery and they rely on you using the USB means to charge the battery and 'not notice' that the solar panel is only providing a tiny amount of power. The internal battery then charges your device.

I expect the "12 hours" that the product *can* charge the internal battery in are 12 hours of perfect equatorial sunlight.

It's probably worth £4.99 but I wouldn't have paid the original £24.99 price.
Doctor Prepper: What's the worst that could happen?
25 July 2012, 00:49,
It's the sunshine bit that concerns me. 15 hours is a long time in sunshine time.
.44 watts @ 5.5 volts I've read the spec right. Thats only 80 millamps of current.
To charge a flatish 1200mah cell at a 15 hour rate it could do it, just.

Still I suppose you'd never completely flatten the internal cell and that's what they are relying on.

The USB charge is realistic though with 500–900 mA the generally quoted output of a standard port although I've blown out PC USB ports pulling 500ma for longer than a couple of hours.

60 lumens for a led is roughly 1 watt. 3.7 volt battery, so an hours worth of light, yep.

Looks good on paper and as SKvez says, £4.99 a fair price even if you just stripped it for spares.

25 July 2012, 07:12,
(24 July 2012, 13:40)WetandCold Wrote: It’s cheap and just maybe worth having for the torch alone, I would not read to much into the product info below, but would suggest that as an emergency device over a period of days should at least give some juice to power a small device long enough to be of use.

Anyone want to argue this feel free because I really don't know myself.

Bright LED light, great for camping, reading and keeping in your car
3 hours of solar charging can provide up to an hour of bright light or a 30 minute charge for your mobile phone or other devices.

1200mAh internal battery charges via the solar panel or via USB to charge your digital devices.

Charges handheld devices whilst having its internal battery charged by its solar cells or USB charge cable.

Ideal for charging mobile phones, MP3 players and more
The solar panels can charge the internal battery in as little as 12 hours or 3 hours when using the supplied USB charging cable.

Overcharge, discharge and short circuit protection.

Includes 5 connectors for the most popular mobile phones.

This portable charging system can power any handheld device anywhere, anytime. That’s not all though, the unit comes with a 60 lumen torch, perfect for reading and camping.

Its internal battery is charged either via the solar panels which take energy from the sun and store it in the battery, or from a computers’ USB port. Should the connector required for your device not be included in the pack, you can use the original USB charging cable supplied with your device.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/solar-charger-an...=298597705

[Image: N03LK_inuse.jpg]

Hi W&C

For the price this looks a really splendid little device.

Paul's right that the output is fairly small. In fact will be minimal in winter months, but as a charger to drop into a BOB its really neat.

I've been on the look out for a device to keep my low power walkie talkies topped up. USB charge output is also completely compatible, so these are perfect. My home brew Garden Lantern conversion works of a fashion, but I needed something less Heath-Robinson for the bag. These look perfect.

I ordered mine this morning :-) I'll let you know how it performs for my intended usage.

Thanks for the heads up on this.

LS
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

25 July 2012, 12:56, (This post was last modified: 25 July 2012, 12:57 by Nemesis.)
Hello LS I made a video last night I was so damn tired I made it to long and had to cut the life out of it, so I did not bother linking it, due to cutting it to bits, but I will now so you can get a better look at it.

I intend to drain the solar charger to zero and drain a device the same, and then see how it performs on just solar recharge and not a usb charge or a usb cheat if you like.

25 July 2012, 14:47,
(25 July 2012, 12:56)WetandCold Wrote: Hello LS I made a video last night I was so damn tired I made it to long and had to cut the life out of it, so I did not bother linking it, due to cutting it to bits, but I will now so you can get a better look at it.

I intend to drain the solar charger to zero and drain a device the same, and then see how it performs on just solar recharge and not a usb charge or a usb cheat if you like.

Thanks W&S the little video is really useful.

Great little light from thatthing too!

LS
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

25 July 2012, 19:00, (This post was last modified: 25 July 2012, 19:03 by Hrusai.)
great video WnC ill have to get one of these myself now after seeing that! am very impressed with that light as well as the assortment of cables, i agree that those are worth a fiver on their own!
on a side note, under the youtube video theres some buttons, next to the one that looks like a flag theres one that look a bit like a clip board.....click it and it'll give youtube's "interactive transcript"...basically what youtube thinks WnC is saying xD....its rather funny Tongue
25 July 2012, 21:58,
(25 July 2012, 19:00)Hrusai Wrote: great video WnC ill have to get one of these myself now after seeing that! am very impressed with that light as well as the assortment of cables, i agree that those are worth a fiver on their own!
on a side note, under the youtube video theres some buttons, next to the one that looks like a flag theres one that look a bit like a clip board.....click it and it'll give youtube's "interactive transcript"...basically what youtube thinks WnC is saying xD....its rather funny Tongue

I don't remember saying all that but hey I must off lol.
25 July 2012, 22:31,
xD my favourite part is

"what would i pay for the elderly on direct"
"briefly tina"

either that or

"complete your guy"
"naked manhatten"
"aussie"
"aka four items we'll see you can charge you for"
"and um.. i'll show you the lion"