Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
prep kit for travelling
25 July 2012, 01:52,
prep kit for travelling
so basically i'm planning a trip to amsterdam at the moment (no not for the coffee shops) and i need to do it on a very low budget, so im only going to be taking a single bag with me, one that i can take in the cabin on the airplane... so no knives!

But as every prepper should i'd like to take some emergency equipment with me, but im at a loss as to what i should take with me, the main items ill take is going to be clothing and a camera, as well as passport, money lighters and cigarettes, as well as a small bag with a few toiletries. im only going for 10-14 days so i dont need much.

But i will need a survival kit of sorts,

obviously there will be some tinder and a firesteel,

a few metres of string, both for tinder and general cordage use,

a compact fishing kit (fishing line, a few hooks(well paper clips, hooks arent allowed apparently), and a weight or 2....ive only done fishing once so im not that knowledgeable on the matter, but i think that should suffice)

an emergency bivvy bag (the kind that packs really flat and has that shiny mylar on the inside)

a few water purification tablets,

a tampon,

a small roll of tape,

a small sewing kit,

some matches,

and a couple of non lubricated condoms.

thats all i can really think of, so any more suggestions would be appreciated....also if anyones been to Amsterdam and have any recommendations of places to go or places to stay, or even just general travelling tips, i'd love to hear them!

**SIDE NOTE**
whilst checking a few regulations on carry on luggage i found out that your allowed knitting needles!

"Knitting needles are permitted in your carry-on baggage or checked baggage."

how crazy is that?? any terrorist with some hand to hand combat training could easily take over an air craft with a knitting needle! in my mind a knitting needle is probably more dangerous than a knife, after all a stab will do more damage than a slash will, granted it wont look as horrific, but it'll puncture organs and do some damage. whilst i think alot of aircraft restrictions are ridiculous and overkill, i cannot believe that something like a knitting needle is permitted Tongue
25 July 2012, 07:28,
RE: prep kit for travelling
Your mistake is thinking that the rules make sense. Just remember it is a show to make everyone feel safe and you will be OK.

My take ciggies, they are much cheaper over there without all the tax. You should be bringing a load back and remember the rules. It can only be for you so mixing and matching brands is bad.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
25 July 2012, 09:22,
(25 July 2012, 01:52)Hrusai Wrote: so basically i'm planning a trip to amsterdam at the moment (no not for the coffee shops) and i need to do it on a very low budget, so im only going to be taking a single bag with me, one that i can take in the cabin on the airplane... so no knives!

But as every prepper should i'd like to take some emergency equipment with me, but im at a loss as to what i should take with me, the main items ill take is going to be clothing and a camera, as well as passport, money lighters and cigarettes, as well as a small bag with a few toiletries. im only going for 10-14 days so i dont need much.

But i will need a survival kit of sorts,

obviously there will be some tinder and a firesteel,

a few metres of string, both for tinder and general cordage use,

a compact fishing kit (fishing line, a few hooks(well paper clips, hooks arent allowed apparently), and a weight or 2....ive only done fishing once so im not that knowledgeable on the matter, but i think that should suffice)

an emergency bivvy bag (the kind that packs really flat and has that shiny mylar on the inside)

a few water purification tablets,

a tampon,

a small roll of tape,

a small sewing kit,

some matches,

and a couple of non lubricated condoms.

thats all i can really think of, so any more suggestions would be appreciated....also if anyones been to Amsterdam and have any recommendations of places to go or places to stay, or even just general travelling tips, i'd love to hear them!

**SIDE NOTE**
whilst checking a few regulations on carry on luggage i found out that your allowed knitting needles!

"Knitting needles are permitted in your carry-on baggage or checked baggage."

how crazy is that?? any terrorist with some hand to hand combat training could easily take over an air craft with a knitting needle! in my mind a knitting needle is probably more dangerous than a knife, after all a stab will do more damage than a slash will, granted it wont look as horrific, but it'll puncture organs and do some damage. whilst i think alot of aircraft restrictions are ridiculous and overkill, i cannot believe that something like a knitting needle is permitted Tongue

Hi Hrusai,

I travel a lot on short haul around Europe. Be careful about carrying that pack with you as hand luggage, mainly because the security control Nazis will immediately see you as having different to the norm and you'll have a very high chance of the old "random" full search.

If you don't mind all of your gear being scrutinized in public that's fine. Personally I do everything possible not to draw attention, so avoid such situations.

A few years ago i noticed I was being routinelely given the full-random search treatment when travelling in USA. Eventually I challenged them, and found out taht it was my "strange" european footwear taht was catching attention. As soon as I purchased a pair of US business shoes the random checks stopped completely.

It would be a whole lot less troublesome to carry a full BOB or GHB in hold luggage, with just a minimal kit in your cabin luggage.

LS
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

25 July 2012, 19:05, (This post was last modified: 25 July 2012, 19:06 by Hrusai.)
damn thats ridiculous, i cant believe footwear would bring that upon you! tis most bizarre Tongue

thing is i wont have any hold luggage, just my cabin stuff, its my first time travelling on my own so im travelling very light.

hmm well any ideas for a "stealth" kit? stuff that can be useful but dont look useful?
thanks for all the great info btw Smile .... as a smoker i really should of thought of that about cigarettes before xD dunno how that slipped my mind!
25 July 2012, 21:26,
(25 July 2012, 19:05)Hrusai Wrote: damn thats ridiculous, i cant believe footwear would bring that upon you! tis most bizarre Tongue

thing is i wont have any hold luggage, just my cabin stuff, its my first time travelling on my own so im travelling very light.

hmm well any ideas for a "stealth" kit? stuff that can be useful but dont look useful?
thanks for all the great info btw Smile .... as a smoker i really should of thought of that about cigarettes before xD dunno how that slipped my mind!

Hi H

Because you are young and that this is your first time travelling alone, I'm going to make a huge assumption that you are not an experienced traveller ( forgive me if I'm wrong.)

Really as a fist timer, you should make it easy on yourself and travel exactly within the stupid airline and homeland security prescribed rules.

My advice to you is thae same as to the younger members of my family.

Ultimately your biggest risks are from being robbed or getting stranded in NL due to airline problems.

Make sure that you take out travel insurance that will cover lost/stolen possessions.

Take two photo copies of your passport, carry one with you, separated from your main passport and cash. Leave the other with someone you can trust in UK. and remember to take their tel number with you.

Change your money into Euros before you get to NL and separate it in three. One small anmount in a wallet purse and the two larger amounts searated and stashed where they cannot be easily taken from you. In lieu of a GHB extra hard cash will cover most eventualities.

Make sure you know how to get home if airlines have a problem. How to get to hook of holland to catch a ferry back to Harwich? What about trains to Calais etc etc.

Travel light and enjoy the experience!!!

Have fun

LS

72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

25 July 2012, 21:38,
Dunno why someone under 25 and who is a prepper as well is flying to Amersterdam ???, Sense says student rail card and a lot less crappy inconvenience.

http://www.16-25railcard.co.uk/buy-16-25...r-railcard

http://www.raileurope.co.uk/Default.aspx...tAod5TcAEQ

http://www.interrailnet.com/

25 July 2012, 22:20,
well im half slovene so ive been to slovenia every year of my life till i was 13-14, but always with my parents, so i kinda know what im doing but i wouldnt say im experienced by any measure, so you're spot on in that respect Smile

travel insurance was definately going to be something i'd get when looking at ryanair flights it was 70 quid for a return with travel insurance!

if i get robbed so be it, the travel insurance should cover it, i've got the police phone numbers and the theft line saved, i was planning on printing out all vital information like that and laminating it, then keeping 2 copies of that on me at all times, one in my wallet, and another around my neck
i was also planning on having a copy of my passport on a memory stick that'll be always around my neck

as for the leaving a copy in england i hadnt thought of that at all! so ill be sure to leave a copy with my parentsSmile

as for money, i've found a really good place which will give me a better conversion rate than any major banks or other places, hopefully maximising my spending money Smile....im going to make sure whenever i go out for the day i leave all my money at the place im staying, and only take a small amount with me (im budgeting on a per day basis with an extra 50 euro contingency, which ill leave in a secure place at all times)

and thanks to NR's suggestion im now looking into rail cards to cut down on expenditure, which was a great idea! so that should cover travel down to the hook of holland where i can get a ferry Smile

hopefully i should be ok xD....do you guys think its even worth taking much in the way of survival equipment? or just rely on my knowledge and hope for the best? as a prepper im unsure because whilst i dont think its very likely anything will go wrong, the idea is to plan for the eventuality it will, but again im not going for long and need to travel very light TongueP i spose if im in dire need of a blade i can always buy a cheap one there and then either throw it away or simply mail it back home before i leave Tongue
26 July 2012, 07:24,
(25 July 2012, 22:20)Hrusai Wrote: well im half slovene so ive been to slovenia every year of my life till i was 13-14, but always with my parents, so i kinda know what im doing but i wouldnt say im experienced by any measure, so you're spot on in that respect Smile

travel insurance was definately going to be something i'd get when looking at ryanair flights it was 70 quid for a return with travel insurance!

if i get robbed so be it, the travel insurance should cover it, i've got the police phone numbers and the theft line saved, i was planning on printing out all vital information like that and laminating it, then keeping 2 copies of that on me at all times, one in my wallet, and another around my neck
i was also planning on having a copy of my passport on a memory stick that'll be always around my neck

as for the leaving a copy in england i hadnt thought of that at all! so ill be sure to leave a copy with my parentsSmile

as for money, i've found a really good place which will give me a better conversion rate than any major banks or other places, hopefully maximising my spending money Smile....im going to make sure whenever i go out for the day i leave all my money at the place im staying, and only take a small amount with me (im budgeting on a per day basis with an extra 50 euro contingency, which ill leave in a secure place at all times)

and thanks to NR's suggestion im now looking into rail cards to cut down on expenditure, which was a great idea! so that should cover travel down to the hook of holland where i can get a ferry Smile

hopefully i should be ok xD....do you guys think its even worth taking much in the way of survival equipment? or just rely on my knowledge and hope for the best? as a prepper im unsure because whilst i dont think its very likely anything will go wrong, the idea is to plan for the eventuality it will, but again im not going for long and need to travel very light TongueP i spose if im in dire need of a blade i can always buy a cheap one there and then either throw it away or simply mail it back home before i leave Tongue

Hi H

Sounds like you've got it covered.

I spent a LOT of time in Slovenia, pre breakdown of the Yugoslavian state. I love the place and the people, and even became quite fluent in Slovene for a while. You are very lucky to have family there. (I think i'd prefer to bug out in the Slovin forests rather than UK!!!)

Clearly you are well travelled. You'll be fine in NL I'm sure.

Have a good trip

LS
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

26 July 2012, 08:14,
good to get a second appraisal! especially from someone so well travelled.

i must admit im rather surprised you've even heard of slovenia! usually when i say im half slovene i just get asked if im a doctor who alien xD....it truly is a beautiful country! i wish i spoke more of the language, theres only 2 million speakers Smile but hey i can order a pint, i got the important stuff covered Big Grin hopefully ill be going back there soon, havent been for 5 years
Sad

cheers for the good luck dude Smile....ill make sure to take lots of pics and stuff for when i get back Big Grin
26 July 2012, 09:38,
Don't take anything risky with you, just buy it there if you think you need it (such as a knife) then if you want to keep it stick it in the post. Stick your parents name and address on the envelope, just in case. There may be a delay in getting anything through the post at the moment due to the monumental waste of money that is the olympics, as they're heavily checking inbound post (domestic should be okay though)