Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tinned fish
25 July 2012, 14:38,
Tinned fish
I was thinking of adding tinned fish to my stores!
We all know of its benefits but I was wondering how long you can store it for?
I want to get some tins of sardines that are in sunflower oil. but if they are going to go rotten I wont bother.
"Some men just want to watch the world burn!"
25 July 2012, 14:45,
RE: Tinned fish
(25 July 2012, 14:38)Armoured Gideon Wrote: I was thinking of adding tinned fish to my stores!
I want to get some tins of sardines that are in sunflower oil. but if they are going to go rotten I wont bother.

how are they going to go rotten? unless the tin is compromised.(and rotate,rotate,rotate!)Big Grin
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
25 July 2012, 14:54,
This stash is to be hidden away behind a false wall and I wont be able to rotate it (the fish not the wall)
I don't want to stash it there if the whole room is going to be smelling of rotten fish in 5 years time!
25 July 2012, 14:58,
(25 July 2012, 14:38)Armoured Gideon Wrote: I was thinking of adding tinned fish to my stores!

I've got tinned Tuna in brine, Mackeral fillets in brine and the same in tomato sauce, stuff like that gets rotated through the normal food stocks regularily so its never more than a year old.

25 July 2012, 15:41,
I've got lots and lots of tinned fish. Used to go to CostCo on a weekly basis and buy a big slab of tuna cans etc. Had some of them over a year and still fine to eat.
25 July 2012, 16:05,
But does anyone know what will happen if they are sealed away for over 5 years?
25 July 2012, 16:06, (This post was last modified: 25 July 2012, 16:08 by 00111001.)
(25 July 2012, 16:05)Armoured Gideon Wrote: But does anyone know what will happen if they are sealed away for over 5 years?

They'll stay where you put them?

Nothing will happen. Might taste a bit metallic after 5 years sat there, but as long as there aren't any dents / dings in the tin then all is well.
If you want stuff to stash in the wall cavity then personally I'd go for the mountain house freeze dried stuff (or make your own), vacuum seal it and then stash it.

25 July 2012, 16:09,
thanks for that 001111001.

I guess in a worst case scenario I could always take the wall down and re build it again.
25 July 2012, 16:13,
(25 July 2012, 16:09)Armoured Gideon Wrote: thanks for that 001111001.

I guess in a worst case scenario I could always take the wall down and re build it again.

If you're definitely going to be putting tins inside the wall, then get some lengths of guttering down pipe. You could have a little hidden door at the top of the pipe so you can put cans in, and then an opening behind the skirting board where you can slide them out. That way you can rotate your stock nice and easy.

Obviously the pipe goes in the cavity. You may want to feed them in from the bottom until the pipe is nearly full, or you could risk damaging the can by dropping it down from the top.
25 July 2012, 16:28,
Brilliant idea! I was thinking of putting a wardrobe in front of the wall to distract the eye from the fact that the room is shorter on the inside than it should be, maybe I could position a painting/picture over the hole that the tins will eventualy drop in from.