Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1200 miles with Handheld CB radio
27 July 2012, 10:54,
1200 miles with Handheld CB radio
An interesting video that demonstrates that 3 Watts of power is sufficient to make single bounce vice communications on CB.

The video is of Amateur 28Mhz frequencies, but CB 27 MHz will perform just as well if conditions are right.

see:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTyuOe22x...re=related
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

27 July 2012, 12:15,
RE: 1200 miles with Handheld CB radio
holy crap on a cracker, that was awesome, as someone who doesnt know jack about radio im impressed xD....if i get some long distance communication for my BOB i'd be looking at getting something just like that!
27 July 2012, 12:53,
is that right LS because looking in to ham radio in big way
just read alas Babylon ,so im going to get more salt!!!!
27 July 2012, 14:37,
well after seeing that i'd love to look at getting what that guys got!

would be invaluable for all of the SUKnet crew to co-ordinate post SHTF
27 July 2012, 14:59, (This post was last modified: 27 July 2012, 15:06 by Lightspeed.)
(27 July 2012, 12:53)Barneyboy Wrote: is that right LS because looking in to ham radio in big way

Hi BB

Probably its genuine. Of course its very simple to rig a youtube video....

Its intriguing, but why would you as a prepper want to talk to someone 1200 miles away from you? I posted it to show what is possible with low power. This was under ideal conditions, it is very much an extraordinary event, but is entirely feasible.

The radio being used is now legal to operate in many European contries. Indeed you can purchase it in the UK from several sources. it can be configured to operate on Ham and CB frequencies. UK government is again being slow in implememting the latest EU directives in this respect, but I expect they implement them eventually.

With a foundation license under your belt you could legally operate that exact same equipment immedately.

(27 July 2012, 14:37)Hrusai Wrote: well after seeing that i'd love to look at getting what that guys got!

would be invaluable for all of the SUKnet crew to co-ordinate post SHTF

Hi Hrusai

There's a whole load of discussion on this section about what might work for us ( as an SUK group)

The clip shows what is called "skip" operation, where the signal is bounced off the ionoshere hundreds of kilimeters over our heads. The snag is that the normal range of that sort of radio is say 10 miles with a decent fixed antenna..... everything between the 10 mile radius and the place where the skip signal is returned to earth, hears absolutely nothing of your transmission.

Look up NVIS as this is the mechanism that should be viable for range up to 200 miles. Snag is that in the current environment a radio amater operating license is required to permit legal transmission on the frequences required for this technique. There is considerable debate on this whole issue in our community.

LS
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

27 July 2012, 15:12,
i must admit ive skipped over the majority of radio talk on SUKnet simply because its a bit intimidating xD im literally a complete beginner at that stuff, which is odd cause i understand electromagnetic waves and particle physics well enough Tongue

as im sure there are probably people in a similar boat, is there an idiots guide to radio stuff floating about?
27 July 2012, 15:22,
(27 July 2012, 15:12)Hrusai Wrote: i must admit ive skipped over the majority of radio talk on SUKnet simply because its a bit intimidating xD im literally a complete beginner at that stuff, which is odd cause i understand electromagnetic waves and particle physics well enough Tongue

as im sure there are probably people in a similar boat, is there an idiots guide to radio stuff floating about?

Its true it is complex. It can also be expensive.

For these reasons there has been insufficient prepping in this area until now ( see Northern Raders views on this)

There's a Radio Comms Article in the Communications section of the main site. its a long article was was written with the intention of demystifying the subject.

Hope this helps.

LS
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

27 July 2012, 15:27,
time to read everything on suknet and my personal library methinks....mind if i pm you with any questions i cant work out?
27 July 2012, 15:31,
(27 July 2012, 15:27)Hrusai Wrote: time to read everything on suknet and my personal library methinks....mind if i pm you with any questions i cant work out?

That's fine. :-)

LS
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

27 July 2012, 15:36,
because when or if the SHTF wood like to talk to people and find out wots going on and to keep in with you guys i think hams the way to go
just read alas Babylon ,so im going to get more salt!!!!