Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Survivor dilemma
31 July 2012, 10:36,
Survivor dilemma
On another thread Prepaday just made a very good observation:

<<Seems some preppers are just out for themselves? This may be fine during the disaster but what happens when communities need built up again...what is going to change?>>

Preppers are solitary, secretive and highly self-reliant. Those of us that survive long term, will likely be very strong minded and strong willed and not a little self serving....... beyond the stores and plans they make ahead of time, that's why they will survive.

Rebuilding society, enven regrouping individuals such as these into small communities will be a very painful. Power struggles will be inevitable, even though an underlying need to co-operate is understood.

72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

31 July 2012, 10:41,
RE: Survivor dilemma
if someone has survived either on their own or in a very small group they may find it hard to trust anyone else(someone they do not know...you know the old adage...if you dont know them and havent worked with them...dont trust them...i think that will go double after THE collapse.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
31 July 2012, 10:54,
Like everything else it will settle down. It has too because no one will have everything they need. They will need medical help, labouring, advice, eggs, produce.

We will just be very careful about it.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
31 July 2012, 11:22,
Preppers will have skills they can offer to fledgling communities trying to rebuild, but it does not mean preppers should become parts of communities or communes.

31 July 2012, 12:54,
(31 July 2012, 11:22)NorthernRaider Wrote: Preppers will have skills they can offer to fledgling communities trying to rebuild, but it does not mean preppers should become parts of communities or communes.

You're right NR,

but I feel that there are a lot of Alpha male types ( and I count myself in that) that will have a natural tendancy to try and lead..... bolsterd by the fact their ideas and methods have been validated by thier continued existence.

Its natural that people with valuable knowledge and skills will levereage their position to obtain privileged places in any emerging society...... and that road could easily lead to personal and intercommunity conflict.

My eyes were shielded from this possibility, but thanks to Prepaday's observation, i'm starting to think it through in some detail.... hence opening this thread.

LS
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

31 July 2012, 13:09,
then there are others..like me...who dont trust people NOW in the good times and will be hesitant to approach strangers post collapse, with a pre event population of 1300 my area might not have enough people left to form a group of any size.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
31 July 2012, 13:37,
Good instint BP.

Strangers represent danger already.

After the dige die out after a major event, ANYONE who's still around have to be treated with the utmost caution..... how was it that they survived? Through their own efforts or by raiding others?

Me' I'm planning to lay low and watch for as long as possible before making any contact with unknown people.

72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

31 July 2012, 13:43,
(31 July 2012, 13:37)Lightspeed Wrote: Good instint BP.

After the dige die out after a major event, ANYONE who's still around have to be treated with the utmost caution..... how was it that they survived? Through their own efforts or by raiding others?

Me' I'm planning to lay low and watch for as long as possible before making any contact with unknown people.
my thoughts exactly!Big Grin

31 July 2012, 13:55,
(31 July 2012, 13:43)bigpaul Wrote:

..........maybe won't be seeing you then!!!

Stay grey my friend Wink
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

31 July 2012, 14:11,
(31 July 2012, 13:55)Lightspeed Wrote:
(31 July 2012, 13:43)bigpaul Wrote:

..........maybe won't be seeing you then!!!

Stay grey my friend Wink
probably not..unless your bugging out in this direction?Big Grin