Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Merry bloomin xmas
2 August 2012, 12:51,
RE: Merry bloomin xmas
winter solstice, May Day, Summer Solstice, Harvest time most of the good events were Pagan in origin.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
2 August 2012, 15:16,
im just looking forward to the thought of having a child and giving them a hand crafted knife on their 10th nameday Smile....sod all the stupid flashy toys and crap, presents should be functional or just nice, like a hankerchief full of wild strawberries, or something thats a treat or simple tools and the like Smile

hmmm guess we'll all be goin back to paganism then! (although they had the right idea more than another other religions, Buddhism not withstanding)
2 August 2012, 15:18,
(2 August 2012, 15:16)Hrusai Wrote: im just looking forward to the thought of having a child and giving them a hand crafted knife on their 10th nameday Smile....sod all the stupid flashy toys and crap, presents should be functional or just nice, like a hankerchief full of wild strawberries, or something thats a treat or simple tools and the like Smile

hmmm guess we'll all be goin back to paganism then! (although they had the right idea more than another other religions, Buddhism not withstanding)

"we'll all be going back to Paganism then!" we never left it, mateTongueBig Grin
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
2 August 2012, 17:07, (This post was last modified: 2 August 2012, 17:08 by Skvez.)
RE: Merry blooming xmas
It has been observed time and time again that people cut off from a calendar loose track of the days even when they are trying to mark them off.
When there is no schedule to the day it's very easy to forget whether you marked a day off or not already today. You can remember doing it but was that today or yesterday?
You really need a scheme where you move a marker from "Night" to "Morning" to "evening" to "Night" again where it's easier to see whether you've moved it to Morning already today.
Of course this still isn't fool-proof as it's easy to forget to move it from "Morning" to "Evening" and too many graduations of the day becomes a burden to update.

There is a reason why Stonehenge was made (to track the time of the year), despite the huge effort it took to create.

(2 August 2012, 09:36)Prepaday Wrote: Xmas, Birthdays. Valentines day, Pancake day, Easter, Halloween, Firework night, All far to commercialized and costs a blooming fortune.
They are only as expensive as you choose to make them.
Doctor Prepper: What's the worst that could happen?
2 August 2012, 17:20,
(2 August 2012, 17:07)Skvez Wrote: It has been observed time and time again that people cut off from a calendar loose track of the days even when they are trying to mark them off.
When there is no schedule to the day it's very easy to forget whether you marked a day off or not already today. You can remember doing it but was that today or yesterday?
You really need a scheme where you move a marker from "Night" to "Morning" to "evening" to "Night" again where it's easier to see whether you've moved it to Morning already today.
Of course this still isn't fool-proof as it's easy to forget to move it from "Morning" to "Evening" and too many graduations of the day becomes a burden to update.

There is a reason why Stonehenge was made (to track the time of the year), despite the huge effort it took to create.

(2 August 2012, 09:36)Prepaday Wrote: Xmas, Birthdays. Valentines day, Pancake day, Easter, Halloween, Firework night, All far to commercialized and costs a blooming fortune.
They are only as expensive as you choose to make them.
post collapse time or days wont matter much, if you want to mark the days off have a wooden board and mark it once each day( mark it as soon as you get out of bed then you wont forget and you wont get confused) remember the old rhyme 30 days hath September, april, june and november, all the rest have 31 except february ALONE which has 28 days clear, 29 each LEAP year.
2 August 2012, 17:21,
personally i think having a journal will come in very handy, at least until you settle down in your BOL, having a way to keep track of the days till that time would be hard, but once your there, if you have a record of how long it took, you can carry on from there in a more permenant manner, thats one of the main reasons i plan on buying some notebooks and such like, as well as buying a novelty ring that actually has some function

http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/e56d/?srp=2

it is certainly a novelty, but once you get used to using it, it should be a valuable asset, better than watches or other such things, as it has no batteries Smile
2 August 2012, 17:27,
I will make a sun dial...Not much use in the winter though Smile
2 August 2012, 17:31,
(2 August 2012, 17:20)bigpaul Wrote: post collapse time or days wont matter much, if you want to mark the days off have a wooden board and mark it once each day (mark it as soon as you get out of bed then you wont forget and you wont get confused)
As I said this seems like it would work in practice but has been shown time and time again that it doesn't work reliably. Cast-aways who are rescued are almost always at least a few days out date-wise from where they thought they were.
People get up to go to the toilet then decide to have another little nap, then can't remember whether they've marked 'got up today' already or not (because they "got up" more than once today).
Doctor Prepper: What's the worst that could happen?
2 August 2012, 17:32, (This post was last modified: 2 August 2012, 17:38 by bigpaul.)
(2 August 2012, 17:21)Hrusai Wrote: personally i think having a journal will come in very handy, at least until you settle down in your BOL, having a way to keep track of the days till that time would be hard, but once your there, if you have a record of how long it took, you can carry on from there in a more permenant manner, thats one of the main reasons i plan on buying some notebooks and such like, as well as buying a novelty ring that actually has some function

http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/e56d/?srp=2

it is certainly a novelty, but once you get used to using it, it should be a valuable asset, better than watches or other such things, as it has no batteries Smile

sundial/sunring is only any good if we have some SUN, you know what the weather is like in this countryBig Grin i've got a collection of notebooks(i find hard backed ones the best) and i'm always adding to my collection...reminder to self, must get a box to keep them inTongue
(2 August 2012, 17:31)Skvez Wrote:
(2 August 2012, 17:20)bigpaul Wrote: post collapse time or days wont matter much, if you want to mark the days off have a wooden board and mark it once each day (mark it as soon as you get out of bed then you wont forget and you wont get confused)
As I said this seems like it would work in practice but has been shown time and time again that it doesn't work reliably. Cast-aways who are rescued are almost always at least a few days out date-wise from where they thought they were.
People get up to go to the toilet then decide to have another little nap, then can't remember whether they've marked 'got up today' already or not (because they "got up" more than once today).

oh well, if your going to mess up my system by going back to bed thats your problem...lazy sod...get up! you've got work to do!!Big GrinBig Grin
OH has said you could try marking the phases of the moon thats 28/29 days or( is that?) nights.
2 August 2012, 17:50,
hah! the moon would probably be more reliable...guess its back to lunar months too then xD

well yes a sunring may be of limited use, but they will work even in reasonably bleak conditions Tongue

hah! yeah your not gonna survive very well by spending all your time sleeping Tongue when u wake ur awake, whenever that is, gotta go out and catch some bunnies Big Grin

well there are alot of natural cycles that would mean you could keep up with the time and date reasonably...from the sun, to the moon, to tides, to all sorts of things, sure they wont be particularly accurate but it shall provide you with some source of measurement, and some is better than none ^^