Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SURVIVAL PREPS
3 August 2012, 20:24,
RE: SURVIVAL PREPS
i plan on drying meat and making jerky and such like cause it stores well, hunting a few times a week, the more i get, the more i can put aside, try to keep a good stock of as much as possible, rotate every month or so...foraging and hunting will probably be my main sources of food for the first year, as well as raiding abandoned shops and houses, never know what you might find!

i think the most sensible plan is to know as many different ways to gather food as is possible, foraging, the unusual sorts of edible plants that most people wont know, hunting wildlife, farming and rearing livestock, raiding supermarkets, im sure theres more!

as BP said, dont put all your eggs in one basket!...and if you got eggs, look after them xD they'll probably be some of the nicest food about Big Grin
3 August 2012, 21:05,
Space is an issue in the flat I live in, so I could not store 5 years worth of food and supplies. I don't know how long the food I have would last but I am always adding to it. I don't have a garden, there's a field behind where I live and I plan on planting things in the areas hidden by trees, mainly just to test out whether people notice and how well they grow there, but the grounds waterlogged so I don't have much hope for that.
4 August 2012, 00:17,
(3 August 2012, 21:05)Melissa15 Wrote: Space is an issue in the flat I live in, so I could not store 5 years worth of food and supplies. I don't know how long the food I have would last but I am always adding to it. I don't have a garden, there's a field behind where I live and I plan on planting things in the areas hidden by trees, mainly just to test out whether people notice and how well they grow there, but the grounds waterlogged so I don't have much hope for that.

as space is an issue, setting up supply caches would be a perfect alternative for you, find some remote locations, buy some air and water tight boxes and fill them with supplies for emergencies...even if they are mainly for food, always make sure to store at least a small survival kit in every one...money constraints will obviously limit how practical this is, but as i said, this is probably the best solution for a situation where space is limited.

also having hidden gardens is a good idea, take a leaf out of illegal herb growers book, make sure such a garden is away from any foot paths, if possible being surrounded by thorns and nettles is a great deterrent, if the soil is bad use buckets filled with soil, have a large water drum to collect rainwater...sure as hell beats lugging huge bottles of water up there all the time, try not to leave any indication of goin there, no litter, dont trample too much vegetation as this is a surefire indication of throughflow, and remember whilst not all people will, a surprising amount would nick your food, or trash your plants just for the fun of it Smile

if you need a good place to find cheap water barrels, melissa15 posted an excellent website to go to!

http://forum.survivaluk.net/showthread.php?tid=1873

(just spent 5-10 mins searching for that xD these great posts do tend to get hidden Tongue)
4 August 2012, 17:03,
(3 August 2012, 19:01)Armoured Gideon Wrote: BP, I've got so much pasta and rice stored that I'm sure I'll be sick of it after just a couple of months, but it's better than starving. I've stashed plenty of gravy granules and spices to make it taste better and I've got plenty of vitamins to help me stay well!

AG i meant i PHYSICALLY cant eat it...period, rice i'm ok with but pasta is a no no.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.