Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sodium Nickel battery (new technology)
3 August 2012, 14:23,
Sodium Nickel battery (new technology)
GM has opened a new facility to manufacture a Sodium Nickel battery which will be interesting to preppers.

More durable than Lead-Acid.
Can be deep discharged further than Lead Acid without damage.
Can be charged faster than Lead Acid
Designed to be deeply discharged at least 3,500 times

http://www.technologyreview.com/news/428...-the-grid/

Doctor Prepper: What's the worst that could happen?
3 August 2012, 14:32,
RE: Sodium Nickel battery (new technology)
Wow!

Looked like an intersting develeopment, especially when I got to the bit about Sdium Chloride and Nickel being the main components....that's salt-water and 10p pieces right????

Snag is the reaction that generates electricity takes place at 300 degrees C OOFFF!!!

72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

3 August 2012, 14:38,
LS,

Yes even with thermal insulation there will be some heat loss meaning the battery has to use some of its power to keep itself hot so they wouldn't be efficient for long term power storage.
However I see it as being very useful for storing the solar power produced in the day and the wind produced in the night for use as required throughout the day (typically lighting in the evenings). With short charge/discharge cycles like this I see the technology being very useful to preppers.
Doctor Prepper: What's the worst that could happen?
3 August 2012, 14:57,
(3 August 2012, 14:38)Skvez Wrote: LS,

Yes even with thermal insulation there will be some heat loss meaning the battery has to use some of its power to keep itself hot so they wouldn't be efficient for long term power storage.
However I see it as being very useful for storing the solar power produced in the day and the wind produced in the night for use as required throughout the day (typically lighting in the evenings). With short charge/discharge cycles like this I see the technology being very useful to preppers.

You must be literally o the money with that though Skvez.

AS a buffer storage of excess energy from uncontrollable generation sources its ideal.... and US firms are anxious to get to the front of the PV power generating queue.
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580