Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Speaking of PORTABLE base station aerials ??
5 August 2012, 12:04, (This post was last modified: 5 August 2012, 12:07 by Lightspeed.)
RE: Speaking of PORTABLE base station aerials ??
OOps,

here's the attachment

LS
(5 August 2012, 12:02)NorthernRaider Wrote: Hmmm mega price variations in the Syrio GL27s price

http://www.nevadaradio.co.uk/cb/cb-anten...irio-gl-27 £26

http://www.thunderpole.co.uk/medium-cb-a...tenna.html £ 50

This kind of antenna would be durable and I expect would perform well. It may snag a few branches along the way though.

I don't know how the mounting rotates on that one. Mine has a hand locking knob that you loosen off, click the antenna to the desired orientation, then retighten the lock knob.

LS

Attached Files
.docx   UKS Manpack v1.docx (Size: 74.22 KB / Downloads: 5)
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

5 August 2012, 12:12, (This post was last modified: 5 August 2012, 12:15 by NorthernRaider.)
I hate you Smile, That is the ideal set up for a portable CB or 10 meter Base station that will alow reasonable signal propagation and ensure security.

Its absolutely ideal.

(5 August 2012, 12:04)Lightspeed Wrote: OOps,

here's the attachment

LS
(5 August 2012, 12:02)NorthernRaider Wrote: Hmmm mega price variations in the Syrio GL27s price

This kind of antenna would be durable and I expect would perform well. It may snag a few branches along the way though.

I don't know how the mounting rotates on that one. Mine has a hand locking knob that you loosen off, click the antenna to the desired orientation, then retighten the lock knob.

LS

So Sir, I repeat my question " Why cannnot I simply buy a Syrio GL 27 NGP aerial and screw it to the floor in my loft or to the fascia board outside me office window , That way I get
Low profile
Good aerial mounting height
No effing ground plains to confuse or baffle me?

Shirley this NGP aerial though a comprimise in output capability, is ideal for VERY quick set up of base stations in homes or in the field ?

5 August 2012, 12:39,
(5 August 2012, 12:12)NorthernRaider Wrote: I hate you Smile, That is the ideal set up for a portable CB or 10 meter Base station that will alow reasonable signal propagation and ensure security.

Its absolutely ideal.

(5 August 2012, 12:04)Lightspeed Wrote: OOps,

here's the attachment

LS

LS

So Sir, I repeat my question " Why cannnot I simply buy a Syrio GL 27 NGP aerial and screw it to the floor in my loft or to the fascia board outside me office window , That way I get
Low profile
Good aerial mounting height
No effing ground plains to confuse or baffle me?

Shirley this NGP aerial though a comprimise in output capability, is ideal for VERY quick set up of base stations in homes or in the field ?

NR, it'll probably work either way you choose. Outside in the open and as high as you can get it will give yu best results. BUT, like Paul has previously posted best results will ve with a full size dipole or inverted V set inside the eaves of your home.

I'm PMing you with a note.

LS

72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

5 August 2012, 12:45,
Gracias, one more Q if I may, even though many of these twigs are advertised as not needed SWRing do you consider it good practise to do it anyway, and Sir do you reccomend leaving the meter in line permenantly?

5 August 2012, 12:51,
(5 August 2012, 12:45)NorthernRaider Wrote: Gracias, one more Q if I may, even though many of these twigs are advertised as not needed SWRing do you consider it good practise to do it anyway, and Sir do you reccomend leaving the meter in line permenantly?

Always check SWR for yourself, do nottrust the blurb ( good SWR doesn't mean the antenna is working well, just that it is presenting a correct 50 ohm load. A 50 ohm resistor SWR's 1:1 but it doesnt transmit well. It has been known for antenna manufacturers to stick big resistors into their antennas to ensure excellent SWR figures!

Some ofthe pre tuned antennas may be difficult to re-tune as they are sesigned to be left alone.

A seeing SWR the whole time is a good odea, but it can rob power and sometimes causes TV interference. A lot of good quality modern rigs have internal SWR meters taht can be left engaged permanently. This is good practice as yo are always monitoring the condition of your whole antenna system ( eg plugs coax and antenna)

As always not a definitive yes no answer but hopefully you can make your own choices based upon it.

LS
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

5 August 2012, 13:01,
Ta muchly mate, I'll order and SWR meter when I get chance

5 August 2012, 13:02, (This post was last modified: 5 August 2012, 13:08 by Lightspeed.)
This is the telescopic manpack antenna in the diagram I attached earlier:

http://www.wsplc.com/acatalog/ATX-WPL_Wa...L-259.html

Its more fragile than the whip you found, but folds down to a more manageable size...another dilema to sort out for yourself :-)

LS
(5 August 2012, 13:01)NorthernRaider Wrote: Ta muchly mate, I'll order and SWR meter when I get chance

Are you sure there isn't one built into that new rig of yours? I haven't time to check the spec, but its possible??

LS
(5 August 2012, 13:02)Lightspeed Wrote: This is the telescopic manpack antenna in the diagram I attached earlier:

http://www.wsplc.com/acatalog/ATX-WPL_Wa...L-259.html

Its more fragile than the whip you found, but folds down to a more manageable size...another dilema to sort out for yourself :-)

LS
(5 August 2012, 13:01)NorthernRaider Wrote: Ta muchly mate, I'll order and SWR meter when I get chance

Are you sure there isn't one built into that new rig of yours? I haven't time to check the spec, but its possible??

LS

This might be worth a try, see attachment

A solid state LED SWR indicator. Small, simple, and very few moving parts. built into a solid little metal box and maybe you won't be able to break it NR.

http://www.qrpkits.com/swrindicator.html

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

5 August 2012, 13:17,
Neat aerial and flexable band range, great for those in the group heading along the CB/PMR/Ham route, Ill stick with something simple and fixed for 10 and 11 meter like a GL 27 or thunder.

No SWR meter in the H520 as far as I am aware, it says in the blurb " a digital 10 - bar S/RF/MOD meter and 4 bar battery indicator ??

Interesting gadget for monitoring SWr, its more food for thought.
NR

5 August 2012, 17:41, (This post was last modified: 5 August 2012, 17:45 by The Local Ned.)
Handhelds seldom have built-in SWR metres in my experience mate.

What you mentioned is the signal rf output ( when you key the mic ) and the incoming signal strength ( when the other contact replies ).

Its good to see this side of the comms discussion continuing.

Powerful man portable setups using certain bands are viable...this has already been discussed , and in some detail earlier in the comms thread.

Its heartwarming ( at least to me ) NR , because by asking those kind of questions - it shows you are getting there in terms of your knowledge in how radio works - think outside the box and ask questions.

Yes - manpack CB , using mobile sets ( not walkie talkies ) can be done.
Bear in mind - you're still limited to 4W , and even though basic half-waves for CB ( 18ft ) can be quickly done using wires as mentioned , its manpackable , but not really portable.mapck a mobile CB in a rucksack with frame and you can transmit while on the hoof using a standard dv27 , or a K40 type antenna - roughly between 8 and 8ft...a 1/4 wave remember.

Manpack using other equipment such as PMR is also viable - with a FULL WAVE antenna ( 2 +1/2ft ) on a 'mirror mount' stuck on the frame of a 'ruckstool' instead of the smaller rubber duck types - i.e the Nagoya NA771 using 4 or 5W should be just as good , less noticeable and easily dismissed as an aerial for FM music....you cant do that with a DV27 sticking out over your head. As for groundplanes - the entire frame of the 'ruckstool' is at least twice as long as the 70cm antenna , so no probs there ( hopefully ) , with a CB - you will need 9ft at least of metal to act as a groundplane , which entails other wires etc.

Each band , each antenna - all has their flaws , their strengths and weaknesses , finding which one is right for each of you wont be an easy task - just stick with it.

** Beware of fake antennas , a lot of the far east stuff is fake , the net is full of contrary opinions regarding chinese antennas in particular. **
(5 August 2012, 17:41)The Local Ned Wrote: Handhelds seldom have built-in SWR metres in my experience mate.

What you mentioned is the signal rf output ( when you key the mic ) and the incoming signal strength ( when the other contact replies ).

Its good to see this side of the comms discussion continuing.

Powerful man portable setups using certain bands are viable...this has already been discussed , and in some detail earlier in the comms thread.

Its heartwarming ( at least to me ) NR , because by asking those kind of questions - it shows you are getting there in terms of your knowledge in how radio works - think outside the box and ask questions mate.

Yes - manpack CB , using mobile sets ( not walkie talkies ) can be done.
Bear in mind - you're still limited to 4W , and even though basic half-waves for CB ( 18ft ) can be quickly done using wires as mentioned , its manpackable , but not really portable.Manpack a mobile CB in a rucksack with frame and you can transmit while on the hoof using a standard dv27 , or a K40 type antenna - roughly between 8 and 9ft...as 1/4 wave remember, but with a dodgy SWR probably.

Manpack using other equipment such as PMR is also viable - with a FULL WAVE antenna ( 2 +1/2ft ) on a 'mirror mount' stuck on the frame of a 'ruckstool' instead of the smaller rubber duck types - i.e the Nagoya NA771 using 4 or 5W should be just as good , less noticeable and easily dismissed as an aerial for FM music....you cant do that with a DV27 sticking out over your head. As for groundplanes - the entire frame of the 'ruckstool' is at least twice as long as the 70cm antenna , so no probs there ( hopefully ) , with a CB - you will need 9ft at least of metal to act as a groundplane , which entails other wires etc.

Each band , each antenna - all has their flaws , their strengths and weaknesses , finding which one is right for each of you wont be an easy task - just stick with it.

** Beware of fake antennas , a lot of the far east stuff is fake , the net is full of contrary opinions regarding chinese antennas in particular. **

Edit - noticed some mistakes.

Trying very hard not to be paranoid.....and it aint getting easier.
5 August 2012, 19:01, (This post was last modified: 5 August 2012, 19:26 by NorthernRaider.)
Good stuff Neddy, with one correction though all UK market CBs are set at 4 watt huge numbers are multi band standard and can very easily be increased in power often by snipping one wire or bridging two doofahs. Theres hundreds of videos on You Tube about power mods for CBs sold in the UK. Smile
Eg Many of the Intek models can be very quickly set up to put out 20 watts and a few 40 watts on both 10 and 11 meters
Ned the info needs to be got out and in a simple, efficient and reliable methods that a new or even last minute member of the prepper community can acess the iformation they need quickly and get on the air without any faffing about, IE Plug and Play broadcasting basically. I ask questions to get the replies on the forums and into the archives and then those who want rigs etc can make choices simply Smile.

Its still all grossly fiddly for me though Smile I'll wait until someone brings out something like the PMR 446 Intek 50 50 with a BNC aerial socket already fitted, Still not bothering with CBs though but the info is useful to have.