Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Speaking of PORTABLE base station aerials ??
5 August 2012, 17:41, (This post was last modified: 5 August 2012, 17:45 by The Local Ned.)
RE: Speaking of PORTABLE base station aerials ??
Handhelds seldom have built-in SWR metres in my experience mate.

What you mentioned is the signal rf output ( when you key the mic ) and the incoming signal strength ( when the other contact replies ).

Its good to see this side of the comms discussion continuing.

Powerful man portable setups using certain bands are viable...this has already been discussed , and in some detail earlier in the comms thread.

Its heartwarming ( at least to me ) NR , because by asking those kind of questions - it shows you are getting there in terms of your knowledge in how radio works - think outside the box and ask questions.

Yes - manpack CB , using mobile sets ( not walkie talkies ) can be done.
Bear in mind - you're still limited to 4W , and even though basic half-waves for CB ( 18ft ) can be quickly done using wires as mentioned , its manpackable , but not really portable.mapck a mobile CB in a rucksack with frame and you can transmit while on the hoof using a standard dv27 , or a K40 type antenna - roughly between 8 and 8ft...a 1/4 wave remember.

Manpack using other equipment such as PMR is also viable - with a FULL WAVE antenna ( 2 +1/2ft ) on a 'mirror mount' stuck on the frame of a 'ruckstool' instead of the smaller rubber duck types - i.e the Nagoya NA771 using 4 or 5W should be just as good , less noticeable and easily dismissed as an aerial for FM music....you cant do that with a DV27 sticking out over your head. As for groundplanes - the entire frame of the 'ruckstool' is at least twice as long as the 70cm antenna , so no probs there ( hopefully ) , with a CB - you will need 9ft at least of metal to act as a groundplane , which entails other wires etc.

Each band , each antenna - all has their flaws , their strengths and weaknesses , finding which one is right for each of you wont be an easy task - just stick with it.

** Beware of fake antennas , a lot of the far east stuff is fake , the net is full of contrary opinions regarding chinese antennas in particular. **
(5 August 2012, 17:41)The Local Ned Wrote: Handhelds seldom have built-in SWR metres in my experience mate.

What you mentioned is the signal rf output ( when you key the mic ) and the incoming signal strength ( when the other contact replies ).

Its good to see this side of the comms discussion continuing.

Powerful man portable setups using certain bands are viable...this has already been discussed , and in some detail earlier in the comms thread.

Its heartwarming ( at least to me ) NR , because by asking those kind of questions - it shows you are getting there in terms of your knowledge in how radio works - think outside the box and ask questions mate.

Yes - manpack CB , using mobile sets ( not walkie talkies ) can be done.
Bear in mind - you're still limited to 4W , and even though basic half-waves for CB ( 18ft ) can be quickly done using wires as mentioned , its manpackable , but not really portable.Manpack a mobile CB in a rucksack with frame and you can transmit while on the hoof using a standard dv27 , or a K40 type antenna - roughly between 8 and 9ft...as 1/4 wave remember, but with a dodgy SWR probably.

Manpack using other equipment such as PMR is also viable - with a FULL WAVE antenna ( 2 +1/2ft ) on a 'mirror mount' stuck on the frame of a 'ruckstool' instead of the smaller rubber duck types - i.e the Nagoya NA771 using 4 or 5W should be just as good , less noticeable and easily dismissed as an aerial for FM music....you cant do that with a DV27 sticking out over your head. As for groundplanes - the entire frame of the 'ruckstool' is at least twice as long as the 70cm antenna , so no probs there ( hopefully ) , with a CB - you will need 9ft at least of metal to act as a groundplane , which entails other wires etc.

Each band , each antenna - all has their flaws , their strengths and weaknesses , finding which one is right for each of you wont be an easy task - just stick with it.

** Beware of fake antennas , a lot of the far east stuff is fake , the net is full of contrary opinions regarding chinese antennas in particular. **

Edit - noticed some mistakes.

Trying very hard not to be paranoid.....and it aint getting easier.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Speaking of PORTABLE base station aerials ?? - by The Local Ned - 5 August 2012, 17:41