Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Making contact by FM radio
2 September 2011, 19:03,
Making contact by FM radio
We talk about using CB or Ham radio for making contact with other groups after a major event but what about the 'normal' 88MHz to 108MHz FM band? Transmitting on this band before a major event requires a rather expensive licence but after a major event there are going to be a lot more people with FM radio receivers than CB or Ham units. 'It is my understanding' (note legal weasel phrase) that it is legal to own an FM transmitter without a licence, it's using it that requires the licence.
Doctor Prepper: What's the worst that could happen?
2 September 2011, 19:50,
RE: Making contact by FM radio
Interesting. I've not seen any transmitters that specifically target those frequencies only although I thought that Ham radios can be adjusted to those frequencies.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
8 September 2011, 00:33,
i think i know of one but need to check it out first
to win the war, you must be willing to die
8 September 2011, 09:44,
Grumpy,

Back in the days before CB came legal we had a technician in our club who modified the US FM/AM radios to do all sorts of things. It was based on a top range model that had 120 channels, AM/FM and there was also a base unit called the Jumbo. I had the portable version.
Skean Dhude
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
8 September 2011, 10:11,
my dad had a hi gain 5 and use to talk all over europe
i think it's in his loft somewhere?
8 September 2011, 12:20,
Dig it out and see if you can find the rest of it for your supplies.
Skean Dhude
10 September 2011, 00:40,
my dad reckons everthing is still up there with a few other rigs, he used to be into his cb's a lot.
he's more of a horder than me.
mine for the taking if i can find it
10 September 2011, 09:39,
and while you are up there see what else is around.
Skean Dhude
14 September 2011, 06:02,
If we assume that in an event the power grid goes down, how much electricity would you need to power an FM radio and create a strong enough signal ? could you run it off of an ordinary car battery or would you need to use a generator of some type?
There's no Justice, There's Just Us.

14 September 2011, 09:27,
Radios don't need that much power but transmitters do require a lot more than receivers. They will run quite comfortably off a car battery for some time but obviously you need to conserve the power or replenish it. Get a hamster in a wheel or better yet a pedal bike with a generator attached.
Skean Dhude