Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SD found a superb answer for one of NRs problems
6 August 2012, 22:13,
SD found a superb answer for one of NRs problems
For a few years I've struggled to find what for all purposes would be a simple EDC bow that could be left strung for long periods of time, be used by everyone in my family, be very low cost to a point its almost disposable, A bow that technically could be fired even by a disabled person in a wheel chair or by someone driving a van. also something with enough power to put food on the table but not be so powerful it would be difficult to use or care for.

Eventually I bought a take down recurve bow rated at 30lb draw, its a lovely bow but it cannot be left strung,and is over 5 1/2 foot long.

So I bought some of the lovely little pistol or carbine crossbows using 6 1/2 inch bolts, mainly recurves but one Taipan basic compound was included. These tools are ideal for very close quarters but are not ideal for slightly longer ranges and they can be troublesome at times. I keep mine for vermin control and home security.

But I still had not found a larger bow that anyone in my family group could pick up and use simply. I then bought the larger crossbow that uses 40, 95, and 150 draw limbs, a beast of a machine that was very powerful and accurate, but a bastard to cock without a cocking aid and the cause of my medical troubles since February. and of course so blooming powerful my wife and kids could not cock it.

Problem after problem after comprimise followed and yet that elusive EDC bow remained just out of reach for NR.

Then last year whilst watching daytime TV, I was watching a show where people are shown three houses and have to pick one that was the best. The winner was acreal rural run down dump, but the resident fascinated me as he was heavily into self reliance.

Hanging on the inside of his kitchen door was a small compound bow, the guy just left it there day after day, week in week out. When he wanted meat for the pot he just grabbed this bow and went out bunny bashing.

" I want one of those" cried NR,
" Contact the show " said NRs wife.

Weeks later the best I managed to find out was it was a budget compound bow with a steel wire rather than a polymer serving. I was stumped and the search continued for my idea of an EDC bow.

Cheap
Simple
Reliable
Easy to use
Ambidextrous
Very compact
Requiring little maintenance
and basically because of its price disposable or DIY fixable.

Then this evening NR gets a visit at home by SD who brings with him various bows he has amassed of late. One of them was a little ( only 1 meter tip to tip) compound bow, with a 25 lb draw, ambidextrous fittings, nylon coated steel wire not poly string. Made by Barnett, called the BANSHEE, a four limb two pully, steel wired very basic no maintenance 25 lb draw budget priced bow. You can get em from about £44 pounds.

I picked it up, tried it out, played with it, gave it to my wife who tried out out and annouced she wanted one, then passed it to spoilt brat who tried it out, gave an evil grin and demanded one for his BOB.
This for heavens sake is a budget bow for young or smaller sized people that for my family at least is the absolute ideal EDC bow for bunny and flying rat duty, or security duty, and being a compound bow and not a crossbow means we can get off 4 arrows to one aimed crossbow bolt.

I've ordered two straight away and will order another two or three next month so all three of us have an EDC bow each plus spares.

I need to source extra arrows and try and find a few replacement steel wires for the bow as reserves.

What finally sold me on this little bow you ask?

SD, He told me he had fired at least 80 arrows from this very bow with alarming accuracy, but when I inspect this bow there was NO sign of wear on the string or componants, no wear at all.

Just thought if any of you folks wanted an easy to use low tech EDC bow you may wish to consider the Banshee.
DONT MIX THIS UP WITH THE LITTLE BANSHEE that bow is only 18 lb draw.

6 August 2012, 22:29,
RE: SD found a superb answer for one of NRs problems
wow sounds like everything a prepper could want in a bow!! exactly the sort of thing i'd be looking for as well, superb post NR, thanks to both you and SD for finding such a great bow!
7 August 2012, 00:35,
I think I have one of them somewhere here.
Do not look for a sanctuary in anyone except your self    ཨོཾ་མ་ཎི་པདྨེ་ཧཱུྃ
7 August 2012, 11:28,
i've got a Slazenger bow i bought in a car boot for £25...check your local car boots you never know what you might find amongst all the dross.Big Grin
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
7 August 2012, 12:17,
sounds like a nice thing! i habve never been into bows but at that pricwe i might give it a go , thanks nr
7 August 2012, 12:25,
If its as basic but reliable as SD makes out IE it looked brand new with not a speck of wear after 80 shots I will prolly buy at least 4 of em when I can. More if funds allow, a great EDC tool, simple but powerful enough for security / food duty ideal for beginners.

Also a good basic bit of kit you can barter with.

Just got to source spare wires for em or learn how to make and fit em.

I reccomend new archers do the GNAS courses at clubs in their area OR SD and I may be able to do a few primer lessons at one of the future RZs.

7 August 2012, 12:29,
just been looking at the web sites in my area a couple have an open day in a week or so, a taster course of 3 hrs cost only £20 , might have to have a go and then do there gnas course
7 August 2012, 13:22,
Well worth it tigs, its how my family got into archery about 5 years ago, we did a taster in Peterlee then a six evening course which cost about £25. Dunno what the archery shops are like in South Yorks but up here they wont sell you good kit or expensive kit because they know through experience that if you lash out money on kit now your archery style etc will have changed within 6 weeks. so to save you wasting lots of money they nag you into doing the course.

And they were right.

7 August 2012, 14:27,
ill have to go buy me one of these too!

just found it for 23 quid! Smile

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001F0MCLY/
7 August 2012, 14:30,
(7 August 2012, 14:27)Hrusai Wrote: ill have to go buy me one of these too!

just found it for 23 quid! Smile

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001F0MCLY/

They won't ship to UK.
Do not look for a sanctuary in anyone except your self    ཨོཾ་མ་ཎི་པདྨེ་ཧཱུྃ