Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Russian wheat harvest fears pushing up prices
8 August 2012, 12:05,
RE: Russian wheat harvest fears pushing up prices
I think I'm going to HAVE to find a way of long term preserving flour so that weavils dont ruin it. Poor bloody farmers up here are getting robbed blind most nights by thieving chavs from the towns.

8 August 2012, 12:27,
(8 August 2012, 12:05)NorthernRaider Wrote: I think I'm going to HAVE to find a way of long term preserving flour so that weavils dont ruin it. Poor bloody farmers up here are getting robbed blind most nights by thieving chavs from the towns.

Flour should last for several years after expire date ,biggest issue is bugs, oxygenation, and moisture.

put it in the freezer for a few days to kill anything, bring to room temperature then store it in an oxygen delpeted container that lets no sunlight in at a regulated temperature preferably slightly below room temperature.

Freezing kills living organisims
You can use oxygen absorbing packets, or dry ice to remove the oxygen.

If you can get it into a big mylar bag, you can also throw in some diamitacious earth on the bottom of a bucket below the bag to absorb moisture in the container.
diamitacious earth

Bay leaves are known to help with bugs - they dont like them, so you can layer them in the flour. Its not a perfect solution though.

If you plan on rotating it rather than long term storage, store it in several smaller bags so you dont risk the entire load
8 August 2012, 12:47, (This post was last modified: 8 August 2012, 12:55 by Prepaday.)
Don't get me started on fish grrrrrr x The amount they throw away back into the sea. mostly dead because they can't exceed a certain weight....Bloomin waste of good fish.
I'm just waiting on another cough, cough "ACCIDENTAL" oil spill to drive the price of fish up now...
Asda are doing propa rice crispies, sugar puffs and shreddies at £1 a box, I have 5 of each, stored away, tempted to buy some more today. May as well stock up on bread crumbs and noodles too. Asda are doing Worcestershire sauce at £1 a bottle so best get some of those also, Blimey, how many products use malt/barley coz I suppose those crops are in danger also?
11 August 2012, 10:11, (This post was last modified: 11 August 2012, 10:16 by NorthernRaider.)
OK another Cautionary folks as reported last week about the Russian grain problems it now appears the Americans are in the same mess

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/e37a491a-e2e1-...z23E8P3Ga8

(7 August 2012, 14:42)NorthernRaider Wrote: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-...grain.html

A working link

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/us-drought-thre...59955.html
Key points

Bread makers have braced themselves for a possible repeat of 2010, when failed harvests and export bans sent grain prices soaring, the Grocer said.

There have already been sharp price increases for domestic milling wheat suitable for bread making. The UK milling wheat price shot up by 40%, to £246 per tonne, in a month.

The feed wheat price has also risen by 28%, to £192 per tonne.

Another risk factor is a potential export ban on wheat from Russia and the ex-Soviet states, the Grocer reported. Russia inflated world wheat prices two years ago by implementing an export ban because of a poor projected harvest, it said. And speculation was rising this week that a ban could return this year, the magazine added.

11 August 2012, 12:25,
Bread prices set to soar? What's new.
The supermarkets will make a few more millions and I'll eat less bread.
Hope they don't start putting up rice prices though.

11 August 2012, 14:57,
I have a friend who was a baker and he has told me, that he has used flour that was ten years old and it still produced excellent bread. Store with diatmaceous earth and steel wool on the top on a piece of cardboard. Seal container with Duck tape. Kenneth Eames.