Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What I’m looking for in an EDC bow
8 August 2012, 10:57,
Exclamation  What I’m looking for in an EDC bow
What I’m looking for in an EDC bow
© NR 2012

Y’know that trusty old air rifle or shotgun you keep by the door or in the lobby that you just like to grab and use without messing around assembling, adjusting etc.
You know the one, it’s the thingy that you keep forgetting to clean or adjust but when you load it to drive off those pesky pigeons it never fails to do the job. It’s that gun that is normally draped across your shoulder as you go out hunting, nothing fancy, nothing high tech, nothing that requires jiggery pokery it’s just the old EDC gun that is there when you need it.

Well I know it sounds fanciful but I’m trying to find the same in a small compact bow.

What I am looking for has the following criteria to full, I’ve discounted Recurve Bows, Flat bows etc because of the length and the higher draw weights needed to make it worthwhile.

Compact (can be fired from kneeling, side saddle, stooped, indoors etc)
Simple (The less parts the less to go wrong)
Easy to use even for novices
Ambidextrous (anyone needs to be able to use it including south paws)
Steel wire not polyester string (durability and tougher)
Light weight (You may have to carry it all day if you Bug Out)
Low maintenance (apart from a drop of oil and wipe down it must be as ready for duty instantly)
Suitable for Teens, Women and Men
Inexpensive (Disposable if necessary) Cheap enough to bulk buy for whole family?
Durable (needs to be left strung indefinitely)
Suitable for wheelchair use or for shooting from van / camper
Enough power to bring down game at 30 yards (90feet)
Easy to repair and parts available.
Can be added as attachment to most rucksacks.

AND it’s fun enough to use that members of your family will WANT to do a bit of archery practise with it.

Anyone care to join in the debate and search for a basic preppers EDC bow?

8 August 2012, 16:34,
RE: What I’m looking for in an EDC bow
I think your asking too much in that list, only thing I can think that would meet most of that list is a sling bow. (Power would let it down)

I have for a while had my eye on a Martin Jaguar Takedown Recurve Bow, I saw a bloke on another prepping type forum (yank) explain why he likes the bow and how small it can be made when taken down, I think he even carried it in a DIY plastic tube type system.

Still the problem is size and it’s not for sale in UK, we will have to order it in.

Found another fellow that made a small edc carry, if you don't want to watch all the video, fast forward to near the end he shows it as a edc carry, even the arrows are joinable.

Do not look for a sanctuary in anyone except your self    ཨོཾ་མ་ཎི་པདྨེ་ཧཱུྃ
8 August 2012, 16:42,
On the subject of Take Down bows SD brought a tiny little bow in a box from Armex when he dropped by, it could easily like in a small rucksack.

But I think I can get pretty close to what i want out of that Banshee (I hope) I accept its comprimise after comprimise but its better than throwing stones, The Banshee does everything on my list except for the 90 ft range. I'll have to wait till one comes before i can work out a practical usuable range. Failing that back to looking

8 August 2012, 16:52,
I won't comment on the Banshee until others have watched the video and made a judgment around that.
8 August 2012, 17:29, (This post was last modified: 8 August 2012, 17:34 by NorthernRaider.)
(8 August 2012, 16:52)WetanCold Wrote: I won't comment on the Banshee until others have watched the video and made a judgment around that.

Well SD and I have examined it physically for quality and he has put 80 arrows downrange from it and there is zero wear on any of it. Maybe just a tad underpowered at 25 lb draw, but I reckon over 35 will be to much for many preppers who are not avid archery buffs.

Cant speak for your accuracy skills though but I noticed your family members laughing at the two then went off to the left Smile, Eee I shouldnt be so cheeky to my hero Smile
(8 August 2012, 16:34)WetanCold Wrote: I think your asking too much in that list, only thing I can think that would meet most of that list is a sling bow. (Power would let it down)

Very very similar to my full sized take down recurve, and the main problems are
(A) the length assembled, its never going to be as compact at a compound, but to be fair they are far simpler
(B) cannot be left assembled and strung for long periods of time
© Cannot easily use seated or from vehicle.

Gosh what a set of deep reaching subjects we are going over, radios, power supplies, CBS, PV panels and bows.

8 August 2012, 18:05,
(8 August 2012, 17:29)NorthernRaider Wrote: Cant speak for your accuracy skills though but I noticed your family members laughing at the two then went off to the left Smile, Eee I shouldnt be so cheeky to my hero Smile

No that was me laughing I have been known to do it from time to time Smile, but at least I am constant lol, they were quite close to each other, ok I was aiming centre target but we won't get into that.

In my defence the red nocks were lose on the bow string, (something to think about) and it was both the red nock arrows that went AWOL.
8 August 2012, 18:50,
Found this for you mate

http://www.archeryworld.co.uk/acatalog/Cartel_Bows.html

8 August 2012, 19:17,
I like these little Turkish Bows.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_T80CyJyBkc

Sailing away, not close to the wind.Heart
8 August 2012, 20:42,
(8 August 2012, 19:17)TOF Wrote: I like these little Turkish Bows.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_T80CyJyBkc

just my style TOF i've been looking at handmade mongolian bows for aaages, they're amazing!

great video too, never bothered to find any videos of them actually firing yet, guess thats my evening sorted^^
8 August 2012, 21:41, (This post was last modified: 8 August 2012, 21:43 by Nemesis.)
Look up SMK NOVA less then £40 25/40lb
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SMK-NOVA-25-40...5ae8733f1e