Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DOG bowls
8 August 2012, 13:10,
DOG bowls
I was recently trying to think about getting something slightly bigger and more user friendly than 58 pattern mess tins which are by default as comprimise because their first design criteria was to fit in a 58 pattern webbing pouch.

A food container that is stainless steel for hygiene, lack of rust, easy to clean, big enough to actually get a camp wet shave with, or a wet wipe over with, big enough to hold enough stew or camp mix of beans n bangers to feed three, can be plonked onto a camp fire, stored in a rucksack or stored in a BOV.

Then this am I went to the local pet shop to buy more dog food and on the shelf for only £3 each were some really good quality stainless steel round dog bowls of about 1.5 litre capacity !!!!

They look ideal and much better than the plastic ones I use now.

8 August 2012, 13:21,
RE: DOG bowls
You can put these dog bowls on a fire to cook with? How do you lift bowl on and off the fire? Might go and buy a few Smile
8 August 2012, 13:24,
Yup steel bowls esp good quality pressed bowls are ideal for camp cooking stews etc, I usually use a bit of wood to slide the bowls in and out of the fire but one friend got an over sized fork and bent the inner of the 3 tines down 90degrees and uses it to grab his bowl with.

8 August 2012, 13:31,
I will ask my local pet shop if they have these bowls, If not might just buy some dried black peas anyway, Can't beat em with some salt, pepper and vinegar..nom, nom.
8 August 2012, 13:47,
Just make sure they are pressed steel not rolled and welded, there should be no seams or lips or welds, the bowls are just pressed into shap from a single piece of flat stainless by a big hydrolic press.

8 August 2012, 15:20,
(8 August 2012, 13:47)NorthernRaider Wrote: Just make sure they are pressed steel not rolled and welded, there should be no seams or lips or welds, the bowls are just pressed into shap from a single piece of flat stainless by a big hydrolic press.

I've got a couple for the pup. They take a lot of abuse, little 'un picks it up and smashes it against the wall, chucks it out the window, jumps up an down in it. Still looks like new. I didn't get mine for £3 though, more like £8 Sad But then I was retarded enough to go to pets at home.
8 August 2012, 17:46,
£3 for S/S dog bowls is rediculously cheap!Big Grin
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
8 August 2012, 20:20,
wow great alternative use for a dog bowl! brilliant idea NR Big Grin will have to look into getting some Smile
8 August 2012, 22:50,
(8 August 2012, 13:21)Prepaday Wrote: You can put these dog bowls on a fire to cook with? How do you lift bowl on and off the fire? Might go and buy a few Smile

You can get an aluminium "pot lifter" on Ebay for a couple of quid in the hiking or hiking section. They're very lightweight