Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Compound Bow Selection Guide ( article)
8 August 2012, 17:39,
Compound Bow Selection Guide ( article)
http://www.huntersfriend.com/bowselection.htm

8 August 2012, 20:16,
RE: Compound Bow Selection Guide ( article)
(8 August 2012, 17:39)NorthernRaider Wrote: http://www.huntersfriend.com/bowselection.htm

cheers NR great to have all these resources and articles to help beginners get into archery Big Grin
8 August 2012, 20:34,
I just spoke with the guy at our local archery club we used to be members of, he told us we are welcome back but only with Recurves or Flat Bows cos compounds have a terrible habbit of going straight through the target boss!!!

8 August 2012, 20:37,
Compound Bow Dangers
Bows aren't the benign things some folk think they are.
One little mistake in drawing a bow and releasing off line can be dramatic.
Strings and cables can jump cams and all that energy can literally explode in your arms.

Then of course there is an inadvertent dry fire i.e. NO ARROW.

The string and / or cables could break or jump the tracks, cams warp, axles break (or at least bend), limbs crack or split, and limb bolts shear.

You need an arrow fitted before you draw a compound bow in fact any bow. Its task (apart from destroying the target) is to absorb the energy from the bow in a controlled way.

An approximate safe arrow weight for a compound bow is about 5 grains per pound of draw weight i.e.
50lb draw 250gr 16 grams 1/2 oz
75lb draw 375gr 24 grams 8/10 oz
100lb draw 500gr 32 grams 1 oz

Just think about it.
Bow goes boom and your eyes bear the brunt. Not good.
8 August 2012, 20:39,
Dats why i wear my shooting spercs

8 August 2012, 20:39,
(8 August 2012, 20:34)NorthernRaider Wrote: I just spoke with the guy at our local archery club we used to be members of, he told us we are welcome back but only with Recurves or Flat Bows cos compounds have a terrible habbit of going straight through the target boss!!!

:o WHOA ive always over looked compound bows as i always though they were too complicated and have too much to break and go wrong, but i never realised they were that damned powerful!! thats insane...lately i find myself totally reconsidering my stance on compound bows Smile

ill have to start looking for my local archery club, i think theres one a few miles away Tongue

EDIT: and now reading pauls post i think i may've been right to doubt them xD...but ill just do some more research Smile