Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Just finished reading alas Babylon have a few questions RE food
8 August 2012, 23:30,
Just finished reading alas Babylon have a few questions RE food
I've just finished reading alas Babylon and I was wondering what the best way would be to store your frozen foods after/during a situation where there is no power in the book they salted the meats so I was wondering if this can be done with all meats like sausages or mince and liver and kidneys (valueable extra food from slaughtered animals after SHTF)?

what about frozen veg... I was thinking maybe in jars in a brine solution (salt and water?)?
The next question is RE quality vs quantity post I'm thinking that starting off I should go for quantity then as I use the food (rotation) replace them with quality? Because this way I would be able to initially have a store in place quicker than if I just start of going for quality after all when TSHTF I'm only gonna have what I've already got so surely it would be best to get it in place ASAP?

CACHEING - obviously due to my age I don't own a BOL and I don't have a garden at the moment (looking for a place with one in budget at the moment) so where and how can I cache food... Obviously if I go and start digging up the moors then I'm gonna get in trouble lol

and one last thing how can I stock up for my whole family as obviously rotation is going to be hard as I don't live with my family so it'll just be being rotated by me so how would I go about doing that?

Thanks for taking the time to read this I know its a long post[/quote]
9 August 2012, 08:51,
RE: Just finished reading alas Babylon have a few questions RE food
From the top...

There is information available about storaging and preserving, salting, drying, etc. You need to use as many as you need for both meat and veg.

I'm not in favour of caching in areas you do not control. Simply dig a big hole in your garden and bury your carefully prepared and wrapped preps in it. No perishables. If no garden then consider false walls, roof, etc. Perhaps consider renting somewhere secure, what about relatives?

Rotation is difficult but rotate what you can and most tinned foods will last a few years anyway.

You can only do so much and your situation makes it difficult.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
9 August 2012, 12:26,
Thanks SD are the articles on this site? If not I'll google them
I did think about storage but came to the conclusion that they could get raided, might be hard to get to post SHTF if I take all from storage then I could be raided if I leave it in people could get suspisious as to why I'm going to storage during a disaster and realise I have something of value in there etc so I decided on cacheing some first... Family live a fair distance away so I only visit infrequently and they are planning on moving down here within 1-2 years so it'll be easier when they do but no set date yet that being said I will definately be looking into your ideas I did find a few indoor cacheing ideas on survivalblog so plenty of ideas just just thought I'd get some advice from people more knowledgeable than me on this

Thanks SD your advice has been greatly appreciated
9 August 2012, 22:41,

From the top, no, you can't salt down offal and sausages. Best way of preservation of these is to make pate or similar with the offal and preserve the sausages as you would Rillettes. However, both these methods are short term. Before the freezer, when an animal was slaughtered, the offal was generally eaten first, because it's so difficult to preserve and it goes off quickly.
Consider dehydrating the veg and fruit. Although you can salt fresh veg and use fermentation method too. like these.

http://www.1900s.org.uk/1900s-preserving-beans.htm

http://www.wildfermentation.com/vegetabl...plified-2/

I have moved away from relying on freezing as a preservation method, for that very reason, you could lose an awful lot of your stores with a power cut.
It doesn't matter that you can't rotate out quickly, as long as you do rotate, you can have a large stock of an item.
Some things can take me up to 2 years to rotate out, others a few weeks. Try not to rely on one particular type of food storage.

Sailing away, not close to the wind.Heart