Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
gas mask as part of prep ??
11 August 2012, 14:42,
gas mask as part of prep ??
Any one got a gas mask as part of prep ??

I'm thinking they would be good for getting out of house fires etc, any one expecting a gas attack ?

Any feed back on this type of mask, or recomendation of others

http://www.surplusandadventure.com/shop/...masks.html
11 August 2012, 15:01,
RE: gas mask as part of prep ??
(11 August 2012, 14:42)ukphil Wrote: Any one got a gas mask as part of prep ??

I'm thinking they would be good for getting out of house fires etc, any one expecting a gas attack ?

i got a pack of N95 disposable masks..thats about as far as i am going along that route!
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
11 August 2012, 15:08, (This post was last modified: 11 August 2012, 15:15 by Hrusai.)
(11 August 2012, 15:01)bigpaul Wrote: i got a pack of N95 disposable masks..thats about as far as i am going along that route!

even if your considering better masks than simple n95's its worth stocking up on the n95's anyway, they can make for great bartering items, and are very lightweight, i plan on buying about 20, caching alot of them, but keeping about 4 or 5 in a medical kit, they're small and light enough to not make much of an impact Smile

but as for gas masks and other cbrn preps have a look at this thread

http://forum.survivaluk.net/showthread.php?tid=2204

paul has a good mix of different things to cover various eventualities, theres also a bunch of good info in there, and some links to various items

like this http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001RTG...B001RTG84A

a nice full face respirator, changeable filters, large enough for those with glasses and beards to wear comfortably.

personally i'm leaning toward half facepiece respirators so i can use whichever goggles i wish to, and also so if i need eye protection but not breathing protection i can do so without wearing a full face mask Tongue
also i'd recommend reading the table of codes and what they mean on this wiki page

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Respirator#...espirators
11 August 2012, 15:27,

Ditto again BP, I HAVE FFP2 masks.

However, I am intrigued, when would one have the need for a full out mask that filters everything?

Sailing away, not close to the wind.Heart
11 August 2012, 15:48,
(11 August 2012, 15:27)TOF Wrote: Ditto again BP, I HAVE FFP2 masks.

However, I am intrigued, when would one have the need for a full out mask that filters everything?

well in some cases chemical warfare, depending on the chemical released, some chemicals would just be hazardous if breathed in, whereas others can be absorbed through the skin....but to me the biggest event for a full face mask would be nuclear fallout, all those radioactive particles, but you'd need a full disposable suit as well...you dont wanna be getting any of those particles on clothes that you rely on as you'll be getting too much radiation by wearing them, and its all cumulative...and if you breath them in, well forget about living Tongue

okay quick physics lesson, bear with me though, i wont go into massive detail!

so radiation comes in 3 types, alpha beta and gamma;

gamma penetrates a long way but isnt very damaging...you typically need lead to stop it.

beta radiation penetrates less than gamma and can be stopped by a thin sheet of aluminium or some such metal and is a bit more damaging than gamma.

alpha radiation typically cant go much further than a few centimtres of air but if it hits you its very damaging.

so if theres bits of radioative material in the air, and you breathe it in, alpha radiation will do alot of damage to you very quickly...beta not as much, and gamma the least

essentially the 3 types differ depending on whether or not they are coming from outside your body or inside (being swallowed or breathed in)
when outside gamma will be the worst, and alpha the most safe, but once inside, it reverses and alpha is the worst.

if you remember that russian spy being poisoned with polonium-210 he didnt need very much at all, because it was ingested and polonium is primarily a beta and alpha radiation emitter making it safe to have inside an envelope, but once swallowed highly deadly.

hope that helps TOF Smile
11 August 2012, 16:07,
i'm not prepping for all out nuclear war..if that happens i dont think we've got much of a survival rate, a dirty bomb over one of our wonderful multi cultural havens(cities) is another matter, i think where i am is probably far enough away from any major city, so i'll just prep for flu and stuff.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
11 August 2012, 16:09,

Yes I have gas masks and that one you linked is bit over priced, I am about to buy some more, I have a good price setup.

I will pm you in a week or so with details.
Do not look for a sanctuary in anyone except your self    ཨོཾ་མ་ཎི་པདྨེ་ཧཱུྃ
11 August 2012, 18:09,
Full mask or half mask with close fitting goggles would be of benefit in a house fire. Smoke and fumes will sting your eyes as well as your throat and lungs making you effectively blind. Try leaving your chip pan on till it catches fire and you will see what I mean. (Got a deep fat frier now. Much safer).
11 August 2012, 18:18,
(11 August 2012, 18:09)Dorset Lad Wrote: Full mask or half mask with close fitting goggles would be of benefit in a house fire. Smoke and fumes will sting your eyes as well as your throat and lungs making you effectively blind. Try leaving your chip pan on till it catches fire and you will see what I mean. (Got a deep fat frier now. Much safer).

been there(the chip pan fire i mean) done that!Big Grin
12 August 2012, 12:26,
(11 August 2012, 16:09)Nemesis Wrote:

Yes I have gas masks and that one you linked is bit over priced, I am about to buy some more, I have a good price setup.

I will pm you in a week or so with details.

thanks