Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
It's going to be an expensive month (again)
12 August 2012, 12:35,
It's going to be an expensive month (again)
Rule 1, Don't drop your rifle. Rule 2, see rule 1, Rule 3, see rule 1 & 2
I could go on but you'll know where I'm coming from.

And yes I did give myself a good slap! BlushBlush

Propped up my rifle against the back of my mates pick up and without thinking closed the tail gate.
One clatter later and a dent appeared on the scope tube. Confused
Then, as always, we shot a 3 pellet group to prove our weapons.
What accuracy? Huh All over the shop.
One rattle later and the scope tube showed up a dislodged lens.

Nothing I could do there and then but as my rifle hasn't got iron sights, I'm more than a bit annoyed. I attached my standby single point and the evening wasn't a total disaster as we were only ratting. Shy

So, new scope costs what £20 up.
It'll probably be another SMK 4Mag 30:30 as I like cheap and cheerful. Big Grin

Then I got thinking.
Most PCP rifles have only got scope mounts.
So what do you do about fitting an emergency iron set like a clone Magpul set or something like that.
Rear sight's no problem, how would you DIY accurately mount a foresight? Huh
It's not like I've got a military clone with loads of weaver rails Dodgy , just a 1/2" (12.7 mm) diameter barrel with a SAKS silencer hanging off the end. Smile

I'd appreciate your thoughts on what you would do preferably without a trip to a proper gunsmith.

12 August 2012, 13:13,
RE: It's going to be an expensive month (again)
I've had this dioscussion before because of my own stupidity as well, I believe its paramount that you have back up iron sights on your rifle esp in a survival situation, Mounting a forsight for folks like us should be using the slip on or over barrel for sight mount. as for the rear sight more and more guns, sights , scopes etc are now being fitted with Pictainny or weaver rails instead of the old dovetails. every crossbow or rifle i have usually gets converted to P rail, and I've just noted in the new SMK catalogue they are now selling loads of P rail kit, including a P rail flip up rear sight.

Now as an option if fitting a forsight on the tip of the barrel is unpractical you could try mounting a lazer as a back up, OR you could mount a long piece of P rail and mount a rear and interim sight , a comprimise i know but better than nowt.

I actually once made a jerry rigged for sight for my old air sporter with a cable tie, and after that a hose clip !!!¬

12 August 2012, 14:32,
Thanks for your input NR.
Problem I've got is the 2" diameter of SAKS.
It sits on a 1/2" / 28 thread adapter so no room for a slip on foresight.

Do you know of a iron foresight that clamps on a 1/2 " barrel something like a CB mirror mount does on a truck? I can't find one on a quick trawl on the internet. Any thoughts?

12 August 2012, 23:19,
You can just buy a stick on fibre optic sight from any decent gun equipment supplier. Those long fibre optic tube thingy ones are most excellent and widely used by many I know. TL.
"How far back in time do you think our future will be?"
13 August 2012, 08:19,
Good idea, I'll look into that.
With a Magpul style peep rear sight that may be all I need.
Even better, it's going to be indestructible.