Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sumat fishy
20 August 2012, 08:31,
Sumat fishy
I want to take up fishing...here is the score....I am a woman, 5ft 2 and never fished before. I have no idea what rod to use, I want to go fishing on the river. Any have any suggestions for a really good rod for beginners. Looking at buying a yo-yo reel, seems kinda simple and no sitting around waiting Smile
Also any ideas on baits? Is a worm from the garden o'k?
Sorry for being dim and girlie but I have to ask as I don't know Smile
20 August 2012, 09:22,
RE: Sumat fishy
Prep wise I went to THE GREAT OUTDOORS store and bought a couple of their telescopic self contained fishing kits and some hooks sand weights, Ideal for the BOBs but I cannot give you advice on technique save advise you briefly join a club or go and chat with the anglers along your river bank.

20 August 2012, 10:36, (This post was last modified: 20 August 2012, 10:36 by Tigs.)
you could also try fish traps
and speed hooks
20 August 2012, 11:46, (This post was last modified: 20 August 2012, 11:53 by TOF.)
I'm also a woman, 5'3" and I've fished for many years. I use both a Rod and Reel and a Pole. Mainly an 11ft Pellet Waggler or a 6ft Spinning Rod, and a couple reels. I also use a 8 ft Pole(mind out of the gutter please, NR et al).
There really is no simple way to fish legally, it's either of the above and skill or luck. As regards bait.... oh God don't even go there! Worm, sweetcorn, luncheon meat, bread, cheapo cooked sausages, cheese and loads more. Maggots, worms and bread are pretty much a universal bait.
The most basic kit I've fished with is a 7ft telescopic Whip (see above NR et al) a couple rigs and a box of bait.

Also, I think you might find using Yo-Yo reels on rivers an lakes in this country is illegal, as are nets and in some areas, fish traps.

Sailing away, not close to the wind.Heart
20 August 2012, 12:50,
Thuderflashes in bottles is my prime way of survival fishing, BOOM and everything with gills for 20 feet floats to the surface Smile

20 August 2012, 13:12,
to fish legally on a river you will need to buy a fishing licence.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
20 August 2012, 13:18,
@B.P...Not WTSHTF Smile Free for all fishing..yay Smile
20 August 2012, 13:21,
(20 August 2012, 13:18)Prepaday Wrote: @B.P...Not WTSHTF Smile Free for all fishing..yay Smile
i meant if you are starting fishing NOWBig Grin yes post TSHTF ALL bets(and rules) will be off!!Angel
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
21 August 2012, 18:31,
(20 August 2012, 12:50)NorthernRaider Wrote: Thuderflashes in bottles is my prime way of survival fishing, BOOM and everything with gills for 20 feet floats to the surface Smile

Now that's my kind of fishing! None of this waiting around hours for the chance of a nibble.

Or if you want to go more low profile, I'd use snares or traps. Even if it ultimately has a lower success rate it'll be a much more efficient use of time
21 August 2012, 18:34,
Snares or traps for fishing? enlighten me Smile