Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Microwave used as Faraday cage?
20 August 2012, 12:48,
Microwave used as Faraday cage?
I have just read that a microwave can be used as a Farady cage. I have a spare one in the cupboard. Can I just stash my batteries in there and shut the door?
20 August 2012, 12:51,
RE: Microwave used as Faraday cage?
Basically yes but its always prudent to seperate everything with a rappings of cling film

20 August 2012, 12:54,
Do I need to stick a copper pipe onto it and stick it in the soil of my garden? I have googled how to make one using what I have in the house and keep getting conflicting messages, Do I need to seal the gap up on the microwave door?
20 August 2012, 13:23,
You don't need to earth it but I also do just as an extra.

I have several old microwaves I use as Faraday cages. I also wrap the contents in tin foil as well. I wouldn't use cling film as it generates static.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
20 August 2012, 13:31,
(20 August 2012, 13:23)Skean Dhude Wrote: You don't need to earth it but I also do just as an extra.

I have several old microwaves I use as Faraday cages. I also wrap the contents in tin foil as well. I wouldn't use cling film as it generates static.

yeah but dont wrap batteries in foil , my old mum put a load of batteries in to a foil lined bag, when she came to use them they had all discharged!!!
20 August 2012, 14:27,
What would I wrap the batteries in then? Smile condom? lol, they seem to be the in thing on here lol.
20 August 2012, 14:58,
Test the microwave first before relying 100% on it. Stick your mobile phone in there, then call it. If your faraday cage is working as it should your phone will not ring.
20 August 2012, 15:07,
Just tried that, The phone rang...now what?
20 August 2012, 15:09,
(20 August 2012, 15:07)Prepaday Wrote: Just tried that, The phone rang...now what?

You don't have a faraday cage there unfortunately - you have an old microwave...

If it's not blocking even the wavelength for communications - it won't block an EMP.
20 August 2012, 15:13,
I didn't wrap phone in foil and my microwave is red so kinda modern, I know there is an electrical fault with my microwave, it doesn't heat up.....I'm gonna take my phone to the shop and stick it in all the microwaves and dial my phone lol.