Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Welding???
23 August 2012, 21:54,
Welding???
I know very little about welding but am planning on doing a course in the near future (as soon as I have saved up) and I just wanted to double check that welding would be possible post shtf? Because from what I remember its just basically gas cannister to blow torch via a tube so no electrics involved but just wanted to double check

P.S. I will be getting the right equiptment to weld with and I'm not asking how to make do with something makeshift post shtf as I do plan on living Big Grin

Thanks -Ukprepper88
23 August 2012, 22:06,
RE: Welding???
Gas welding using Oxy aceteline will still work until you run out of gas, but electric welders like the cheaps ones from machine mart or B & Q can often be ran off batteries or gennies.

23 August 2012, 22:18,
I'd probably go for gas anyway, I could be wrong but I think they'd be better for joins that have to hold under pressure?
23 August 2012, 22:20,
(23 August 2012, 22:18)Ukprepper88 Wrote: I'd probably go for gas anyway, I could be wrong but I think they'd be better for joins that have to hold under pressure?

I honestly have no idea myself, I'm told Mig and Tig welding provides to least impurities in a weld, but thats all I know, but please go and learn how to weld its a very valuable skill that could be priceless in the future.

23 August 2012, 22:28,
Mig and Tig does ring a bell but its definately something I want to learn as I say I'm just saving up for a course now but just thought I'd double check I'd actually be able to use it post shtf (cos it'd be pretty useless survival skill if I couldn't Big Grin ) then I'd need to stock the safety equiptment and spares too :- masks, gloves etc
24 August 2012, 19:12,
It all depends what materials you are wanting to "join". Gas is fine for welding or braizing mild steel, or silver soldering non ferris metals such as copper or brass. The working temperature of finished job is also a considderation. For metals such as aluminium or stainless steel then TIG is the best option. you can use MIG for alli and stainless but you need different gas mixes than for mild steel. Gas welding is also only suitable for relatively thin materials. Thicker stuff needs to be electrically welded. Arc (stick) welding is probably the best general purpose method and can be done using a portable generator or welding generator directly driven by a small engine. Some mobile workshops have one driven off a PTO.
25 August 2012, 10:15,
Haynes do an 'Automotive Welding Manual' ISBN 1 85960 201 0 which has a lot of useful info about all types of welding and cutting.
25 August 2012, 22:36,
It'll probably be steel Dorset Lad but I'll definately have a look at that manual in the mean time... Thanks
25 August 2012, 23:14,
If you are welding steel and we are talking about PSHTF, then don't forget the old ways, that could be undertaken without the magic electrickery stuff, ie, forge welding. Simple low tech and v.v.strong.. Also, rivets are a majorly superb fastener of all hard materials. Ships, tanks, bridges, planes, guns, xbows, cooking equipment, you name it, it can be rivetted. Rivetting can be superior to welding (not inc high tech modern stuff) as it allows some movement under thermal expansion/contraction and also under physical forces. The rivets themselves are soft metal and can be made quite easily. It is a fast and efficient process and can be done without a power source, other than human muscle power or some expedient rig up. It is also easy to maintain and replace any damaged rivets or steel sections. A sharp chisel will remove unwanted rivet heads to free them for removal. Old nails or bolts or any other suitable soft metal can be annealed in a fire to make it malleable for use as a rivet.
Why go to all the hassle & trouble of welding PSHTF, when rivetting could be the tried & tested alternative? Regards, TL.
"How far back in time do you think our future will be?"
26 August 2012, 00:12, (This post was last modified: 26 August 2012, 00:15 by Ukprepper88.)
TL I was thinking long term post shtf infrastructure rebuilding most things will probably end up going back to steam (at least initially) such as steam locamotives, traction engines, power generation... Traction engines etc were originally built compleately riveted and from cast iron are now built/repaired/restored using a combination of welds and rivets for safety hopefully restoring the original parts but when they were missing or needed to be replaced we'd normally use steel. You currently have to have a boiler safety certificate to be able to steam a traction engine in public ie steam fairs, museums etc which are gained by testing the boiler upto double capacity (not to mention a class 2 HGV license to drive a traction engine on the roads among other regulations) although obviously post shtf safety certificates will be useless I'd still rather use the way that is considered safest, then obviously as we no longer have the infrastrcture of the 1860's onwards each part is going to have to be individually made, more than likely from steel, as scrap steel will be more readily availble than cast iron so if that's the way we are headed I am thinking being able to weld will be alot more helpful in helping to rebuilding infrastructure and being able to build a traction engine, locomotive etc is going to probably be a sort after skill Big Grin
So yes I'll also be looking into forge welding but if the modern means are availible then I may as well learn to use them too Big Grin