Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Any prepper CYCLISTS here?
24 August 2012, 18:55, (This post was last modified: 24 August 2012, 18:57 by NorthernRaider.)
Any prepper CYCLISTS here?
Any well experienced cyclists on this forum, I've just noticed a bloody great big hole in our info on what where, when, why and how about types of bug out bicycle and kit. The little pannier linky posted today just reminded me we need to investigate bikes, accessories, mods, upgrades etc for building a good bug out bike.

Any takers to produce an article the way Nemesis has on Archery or LS has done on radio telecoms ????
Found some links will publish em in the Transport Section

24 August 2012, 19:05,
RE: Any prepper CYCLISTS here?
will talk to my dad, although he doesnt cycle much anymore he used to be a competetive cyclist back in the day Smile spent his saturdays cycling well over 100 miles!
24 August 2012, 19:31,
That would be handy Hrusai, my knowledge of cycling basically ended when I got to the age of 12. Got his and hers mountain bikes in the garage but they rarely see the light of day.
You have the right to hold any beliefs you want. You do not have the right to have those beliefs automatically respected
24 August 2012, 19:51,
(24 August 2012, 19:31)IB1 Wrote: That would be handy Hrusai, my knowledge of cycling basically ended when I got to the age of 12. Got his and hers mountain bikes in the garage but they rarely see the light of day.

get em out and go for a ride, great fun to do, and a great way to get/keep fit!

plus if you dont use them much its good to keep familiar with them, if TSHTF you never know what a situation will call for!

but yeah as soon as i see my dad i'll ask him to write an article for us, no promises though Tongue
24 August 2012, 20:01,
They're well maintained, I get them out every couple of months or so and give them the once over, oiling the chains, greasing cables, and pumping the tyres up etc. They were mostly used for cycling to a pub overlooking the sea in the distant past when we still had a couple of quid left over at the end of the week, unfortunately those days are long gone.

I've got no excuses for not using them more though, especially in the summer
You have the right to hold any beliefs you want. You do not have the right to have those beliefs automatically respected
24 August 2012, 20:06,
(24 August 2012, 20:01)IB1 Wrote: They're well maintained, I get them out every couple of months or so and give them the once over, oiling the chains, greasing cables, and pumping the tyres up etc. They were mostly used for cycling to a pub overlooking the sea in the distant past when we still had a couple of quid left over at the end of the week, unfortunately those days are long gone.

I've got no excuses for not using them more though, especially in the summer

well i talked to my dad and he said that although his knowledge is pretty outdated and his time is very limited he might write a short article about it when he has some free time (although he's pretty damned busy so not sure how long that'll be Tongue

but ill talk to other people i know as well, see what i can come up with, because as NR said, its one of the few areas we are lacking experts in!

heh better maintained than my bike, although its the same bike i had when i saw 13 lol, barely fit on it o.O

if i had a better/fitting bike i'd use it more than i do now Big Grin

XXXXXX
24 August 2012, 21:13,
We need an expose on modern bicycles, equipment, costs etc with the prepper in mind, EG puncture proof tyres etc from the Green Tyre Co in Middlesbrough, cos if TSHTF we bloodywell dont want to be fixing punctures when we should be fleeing for our lives.

24 August 2012, 22:03,
Im trying to find some cheap paneers and bags at the moment. Not used a bike for years, just got one recently and it almost killed me after a few miles. Need more practice
24 August 2012, 22:13,
(24 August 2012, 22:03)Metroyeti Wrote: Im trying to find some cheap paneers and bags at the moment. Not used a bike for years, just got one recently and it almost killed me after a few miles. Need more practice

Aldi were doing some a while back.

25 August 2012, 09:18,
we bought a couple of modern 1 year old bikes a while back off a cycle hire place, these are for exercise but are also our bug out bikes if the roads are blocked and we cant use the car. got a couple of old panniers at a car boot for £2 !
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.