Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Selco/SHTF school
26 August 2012, 18:54,
Selco/SHTF school
Has anybody paid for this "course"? I'd love to hear a review from one of you guys and I can't remember seeing it mentioned on here before (yes I tried the search function).

For anybody who hasn't heard about it, this chap Selco lived through urban war in the Balkans for a year, with no food/water distribution, electricity or ROL. Gangs ruled the streets whenever the city wasn't being shelled.
I've read a lot of the free articles on the site and they are well worth reading, and I'm on the fence about whether to get the paid materials. If I wasn't so broke it would probably be a no-brainer, because this guy has experienced many of the scenarios we talk/think about hypothetically.

In fact, just in writing this I've convinced myself Big Grin
I'll give you guys a review later tonight or tomorrow (thank god for bank holidays!), but would still be interested to see if anybody else has checked it out?
26 August 2012, 19:19,
RE: Selco/SHTF school
I fundamentally object to people charging for information that could save lives, I wont pay for stuff except for expert info found in some books like Archery or Fire arms expertise etc.

26 August 2012, 19:32,
(26 August 2012, 19:19)NorthernRaider Wrote: I fundamentally object to people charging for information that could save lives, I wont pay for stuff except for expert info found in some books like Archery or Fire arms expertise etc.

I understand where you're coming from and do agree, but there's not many free resources from people who have genuinely lived through war-torn SHTF hell as a civilian and can talk intelligently about it from a prepper/survivalist POV.
Plus I'm buying it primarily as prepper "entertainment", and any useful knowledge in there will just be an added bonus.

For torrent fans, you can find it on isohunt for free of course, but there are very few seeds and slow DL time so it would've taken me 1-2 days to download it.
26 August 2012, 19:38,
HN have you check around first to see if any of the yanks put it on an E reader system any place, they are buggers for doing that.?

26 August 2012, 19:47,
(26 August 2012, 19:38)NorthernRaider Wrote: HN have you check around first to see if any of the yanks put it on an E reader system any place, they are buggers for doing that.?

It's mostly audio/video stuff from the looks of it.
There's about a dozen articles that I'm sure you could find for free elsewhere, and a few prepping checklists, but looks like pretty standard stuff, nothing groundbreaking.
It's his personal experiences etc. I want to hear more about, and that's the stuff in the audio/vids
26 August 2012, 20:01,
Ok just trying to save you dosh Smile

26 August 2012, 20:37,
(26 August 2012, 19:47)HunterNurturer Wrote: It's his personal experiences etc. I want to hear more about, and that's the stuff in the audio/vids

Nice find very interesting, just had a quick read and I want more, if a link is found pm me.
Do not look for a sanctuary in anyone except your self    ཨོཾ་མ་ཎི་པདྨེ་ཧཱུྃ
26 August 2012, 22:09,
I'm with NR here.
You want to know what it's like living rough? Where to scrounge meals from, keep clean, get teeth fixed, how to beg, who to avoid?
Save money and You tube "living on the streets" or "living rough".
There's hours of material from real people sharing their experiences.
I know a lot of it sounds weird and sometimes unlikely but from personal experience in London, I know that a lot of it is true and they tell it the way it is.
You're going to have to trust me here.
The reality is pretty disgusting and dangerous and a lot of what they say on tape has been edited for "niceness".

Save your money for prepping mate.

26 August 2012, 23:02,
(26 August 2012, 20:01)NorthernRaider Wrote: Ok just trying to save you dosh Smile

Much appreciated Smile

(26 August 2012, 22:09)Paul Wrote: I'm with NR here.
You want to know what it's like living rough? Where to scrounge meals from, keep clean, get teeth fixed, how to beg, who to avoid?
Save money and You tube "living on the streets" or "living rough".
There's hours of material from real people sharing their experiences.
I know a lot of it sounds weird and sometimes unlikely but from personal experience in London, I know that a lot of it is true and they tell it the way it is.
You're going to have to trust me here.
The reality is pretty disgusting and dangerous and a lot of what they say on tape has been edited for "niceness".

Save your money for prepping mate.

It's not so much the finding food/water stuff I wanted it for, but the entire set of struggles and events put together ie. not just where to scavenge food, but he had secret entrances/exits to his own home and abandoned neighbouring homes as temporary BOLs to avoid gangs etc.
I'm interested in what he has to say about the formation of gangs and other crime in a WROL situation, which this completely was. There's an interview with a woman who was a single mother at the time, and she had her house raided so many times by theives and people claiming to be the police etc. that she just left the doors unlocked because "locked doors just made them angry".
Some other good stuff about trading, home security, the lead up to SHTF etc.

From what I've read/watched/listened to so far, is it worth $29 based purely on the educational info? Probably not considering the wealth of free info out there for preppers/survivalists/bushcrafters (for a pre-internet prepper it would have been worth a lot more though).
Is it worth it for the combination of education, entertainment, insight and food for thought? Almost certainly IMO
27 August 2012, 14:58,
Just read the "Survival Guide" pdf that accompanies the audio and vids and found it quite interesting. He point out some errors that I think a lot of us make, and also makes some interesting observations about groups, their make up, psychology, skills and trade amongst other things.

Some of it you will have read many times over in various survival books but other parts I hadn't really considered too much.

The whole package would seem to be worth a read/listen/viewing in my opinion. Would I pay for it ? if I had the spare funds then probably yes.
You have the right to hold any beliefs you want. You do not have the right to have those beliefs automatically respected