Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mounting PV panels in gardens ( For nemesis)
29 August 2012, 20:35,
Mounting PV panels in gardens ( For nemesis)
If I wanted to mount 4 PV panel in my garden on a sou sou west mounted frame should I use rigid framework like Dexion/ Angle iron/ scaffolding or would something with a bit more give like treated 3 x2 PSE timber be better or acceptable?
NR

29 August 2012, 22:44,
RE: Mounting PV panels in gardens ( For nemesis)
Start at the beginning

Have you found a good price for the panels, and what watt per panel you thinking of getting?

If you would sooner reply by pm, no problem.
Do not look for a sanctuary in anyone except your self    ཨོཾ་མ་ཎི་པདྨེ་ཧཱུྃ
29 August 2012, 22:49,
Hell No. Keep it here if you don't mind. I'm thinking of the same.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
30 August 2012, 02:50,
(29 August 2012, 22:49)Skean Dhude Wrote: Hell No. Keep it here if you don't mind. I'm thinking of the same.

Sure here are some of my thoughts:

I was looking around tonight and the price of panels has come right down, I found 250watt "one" panel for £158 that’s very cheap, and save space, that one panel equal 3 of mine and I am still 10 watt less, then I am seeing 100 watt ones for like £109, this was always going to happen and it is good to see, in time we all can have quite large off grid setups.

I will tell you why I mounted mine on a pole, because I wanted something I could turn to face morning sun and afternoon sun I just flip the bar and over they go.

I also have the advantage of being able to mount on my truck which I am looking to buy now, if I need to get out of dodge so to say, I used scaffold because of the weight I did not want to see my panels one morning blown all over the neighbourhood, but I have since purchased small all metal scaffold that will be fitted to my BOV, in advance of any problems we might face.

The brackets will fit both the fat scaffold bar and this smaller steel bar, and the brackets I used are cheap car exhaust ones. (very strong)

Again reason for the bar over say a wood build, one height mine are way up in the sky and two, carrying two people could easy carry the four panels on the bar, like you would carry a dead deer kind of thought.

What matters?

Location: how close will the panels be to the battery bank, allow for the wire run both power loss and expense the further the distance.

Height: how high you go is how much the materials cost will matter, higher equal more money, scaffold is cheap.

What high objects could block sun, a tree for example, or house shadow so on.

You want to keep them batteries protected in winter, build a box for them, a lot do not need a vent, but a small hole won't hurt, just like a torch batt, they will lose power in the cold.

Do you want everyone to see them, I am afraid this is twofold problem, one if you have them to low you run risk of easy theft and chance of less sun getting to them, two if you have them to high you run risk of more knowing you have them, a flag beacon if shtf.

I would go high because I have cctv and a yard dog, plus very low crime rate area I live, I also went with the scaffold because I cemented the poles in the ground 3 foot plus, it won't be easy to steal mine.

Wild life might be a problem, chewing cables and such.

I feel I am telling you guys what you already would know
30 August 2012, 04:35,
@Nemesis just an idea but couldn't you run the cables down the inside of the scafold to protect it?
30 August 2012, 04:59,
(30 August 2012, 04:35)Ukprepper88 Wrote: @Nemesis just an idea but couldn't you run the cables down the inside of the scafold to protect it?

That would work for some but not for me, my bar has 4 panels connected to it and one free standing, the wires are run from a roof into a water proof box then into the building so is well protected, no wires in reach of anyone or thing, other then birds.

30 August 2012, 08:58, (This post was last modified: 30 August 2012, 09:04 by NorthernRaider.)
(30 August 2012, 02:50)Nemesis Wrote: I will tell you why I mounted mine on a pole, because I wanted something I could turn to face morning sun and afternoon sun I just flip the bar and over they go.

Oh you fiendishly clever genius.
(29 August 2012, 22:44)Nemesis Wrote: Start at the beginning

Have you found a good price for the panels, and what watt per panel you thinking of getting?

If you would sooner reply by pm, no problem.

My back gardens northern most 6 ft fence gets hit from dawn til 4 pm with direct sunlight, and scattered light after that, it faces south.

Nup not looked any further at the subject

Cheers but it appears our noble lord SD wants this one on the forum Smile
That again is exactly the sort of info and wisdom we need, a clear, concise and common sense approach.

30 August 2012, 16:46,
This subject is of great interest to many of us. I'm looking at setting up an array myself. One that can be folded away into a trailer when not in use or to disguise it. Each panel could have a PV panel attached. plus the roof, hinges at top open up into a star and rotate around a single pole. batteries and electrics in trailer. I can visualise it but can't describe it.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
30 August 2012, 22:14,
Silly question guys an gals.

Not had any experience with PV panels etc - taken on the basis that the panels work best when angled at the sun - won't this act as a very big heliograph ? I know the post is in regards to a garden based setup , but a lot of us are thinking of using these at our BOL too ?

Query -
You might miss a small wind turbine type power gen device with a casual glance through a tree line , but you won't miss the flash off a PV ? perhaps a form of shield / surround to cut-out the flash from more angles could be req'd ?

Maybe just a point to be aware of when hoisting these things up - do they give off a glare when in direct alignment Nemesis ?
Trying very hard not to be paranoid.....and it aint getting easier.
30 August 2012, 23:13,
(30 August 2012, 22:14)The Local Ned Wrote: Silly question guys an gals.

Not had any experience with PV panels etc - taken on the basis that the panels work best when angled at the sun - won't this act as a very big heliograph ? I know the post is in regards to a garden based setup , but a lot of us are thinking of using these at our BOL too ?

Query -
You might miss a small wind turbine type power gen device with a casual glance through a tree line , but you won't miss the flash off a PV ? perhaps a form of shield / surround to cut-out the flash from more angles could be req'd ?

Maybe just a point to be aware of when hoisting these things up - do they give off a glare when in direct alignment Nemesis ?

This build is more of an anti-theft, and to protect the equipment, but also allow for some thought regards shtf, i.e. neighbourhood knowing in advance you have solar, could mean later on when/if the country went tits up, could make their way to your home because of panels, and also some thought into a speedy removal of kit.

But for this build it is more so to stop local chav from nicking them.

Glare of course there will be glare, in fact the strip inside the resin is almost mirror like, and then you have the frames, mine are aluminium, although now you can get colour ones, I would have to say if your BOL is a woodland then you are advertising your whereabouts, with solar panels, and in many other type terrains.

But then you already knew that you are more qualified then me to discuss this tactical side of it all.