Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can we talk about a BASIC UNIVERSAL simple PV kit for preppers.
30 August 2012, 12:22,
Can we talk about a BASIC UNIVERSAL simple PV kit for preppers.
I wonder if Nemesis etc would indulge me, I was thinking that I have not yet seen a spec or parts lists for a very simple , budget PV system that preppers could make / buy etc

Now please forgive me on this cos I am a dinosaur on with leccy powered stuff but I wonder if we could work out a simple basic PV kit list that any of us could buy, assemble and use.

I was thinking along the lines of nothing even remotely fancy just say for example ONE PV Panel, the doofah device that controls its output, TWO batteries and a thingy you plug your PC / Kettle/ Laptop/ Radio/ LED Room light into.

A kit that will possibly only do one simple task at a time if neccessary
A portable basic solar powered generating station if you wish.

Sooooooo I was thinking
What make size, type, power, panel would be a good basic budget alrounder that could charge two batteries up

What control doofah device of what capability do we need (idiot level)

What type and size of batteries do we need

What type size of wiring would we need?

What type of socket / switchgear do we need to plug our kit into ? Fag lighter socket or something different.

I aspire to see a very very simple, very basic, easy to use, run and maintain PV kit design that could be deployed instantly if TSHTF along the line of the Panel gets stuffed outside resting up against the dust bin if needed, or the fence, no fancy mounting systems.

The cable from the panel can be slung through the kitchen window to begin with and plugs into the control doofah.

Then the wiring runs to the two batteries and from their to the user sockets ?

Anyone up for an idiots guide to an ultra basic PV system to help boil a kettle or power a PC during a blackout ?
NR

30 August 2012, 13:27,
RE: Can we talk about a BASIC UNIVERSAL simple PV kit for preppers.

Well, as you mention it, NR. I'm saving for one of these and a deep cycle battery.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/AKT-Solar-charge...42&sr=8-17

As far as I'm concerned, electricity is magic.

Sailing away, not close to the wind.Heart
30 August 2012, 13:33,
Oooh bloody hell thats cool, how did you choose it? size , power etc ,
Whats it do that you chose it against bigger or smaller ones?
Why did you choose MONO Crystaline instead of tothers like poly crystaline, amorphous silicon, triple cell etc

30 August 2012, 13:42, (This post was last modified: 30 August 2012, 13:58 by TOF.)

Now, you see, you're talking Hungarian. I chose it because it's an all in one package that will happily keep a deep cycle battery charged for me to run a simple 12v system from.
Maybe I'm being a dolly though and it won't work. All I want is light, kettle, maybe one of little beer fridges for milk and stuff and to run a battery charger for all those little batteries and my laptop.
Oh meant to say, an American friend has one very similar and he swears by it. He's made a frame rather like a deckchair for it and has attached locking wheels. apparently it's blardy heavy to move around and there's good old Murphy to consider. When he wants to use it, he simply wheels it out, sets it at an appropriate angle and he's generating electricity.
As for choosing it, I based my decision on what I wanted it for, price and convenience. I don't want it to power my home, just a back up system and I'm on a budget. I've seen other systems for hundreds of pounds which is fine if you want a permanent system.

30 August 2012, 13:59,
Gracias denada, Senorita

30 August 2012, 14:10,
That is so overpriced, at least by double the amount.
Do not look for a sanctuary in anyone except your self    ཨོཾ་མ་ཎི་པདྨེ་ཧཱུྃ
30 August 2012, 14:17,
I thought it was OK, where can I buy a ready to go kit like that for £150?

30 August 2012, 14:48,
(30 August 2012, 14:10)Nemesis Wrote: That is so overpriced, at least by double the amount.

Expand on that comment pretty please Smile

30 August 2012, 15:15, (This post was last modified: 30 August 2012, 15:23 by Nemesis.)
(30 August 2012, 14:17)TOF Wrote: I thought it was OK, where can I buy a ready to go kit like that for £150?

£269.99 TOF and then £12.24 UK del, where did you get the £150 price from?
(30 August 2012, 14:48)NorthernRaider Wrote:
(30 August 2012, 14:10)Nemesis Wrote: That is so overpriced, at least by double the amount.

Expand on that comment pretty please Smile

I will do but not yet, I want to see what others offer.

Opps sorry Toff I am multi-tasking reading forum while fixing bow draw weight, I read your reply wrong, will show you later on ok. (London one brain cell and all that)
Do not look for a sanctuary in anyone except your self    ཨོཾ་མ་ཎི་པདྨེ་ཧཱུྃ
30 August 2012, 16:17,
I think TOF was basing her £150 comment on the statement that you could get one for half price, she spent £300 ergo you gould get one for £150.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin