Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Silva Keyring Compass Review
23 October 2012, 08:25,
Silva Keyring Compass Review
Hi Everyone.

Got a quick review for you all.

The Silva Keyring Compass (link at the bottom of the post).

This is a nice little piece. A nice sized compass and a small thermometer underneath. The keyring is a little large including the carabiner but all in all, it's not overly sized.

So far the keyring has been bumped around loads and it's managed to not depolarise or reverse polarity. With all the bumping around, dropping, and being attacked by retarded cats (2 of them), it's all still held together very well. My last compass keyring broke a few times, but was still pretty good.....when not in pieces haha. This one is good, and it's all still one piece.

The compass is big enough to have a good view or where the arrow is pointing for North. Unlike the smaller button compasses, this one won't need a magnifying glass, or even glasses, for those of you that don't have great vision.

Sturdy construction, as already described. I'm hoping to get out in the woods with it clipped to the outside of my bag. That'll be the best test of how well it's built. But for pocket and keyring dropping levels of abuse, it holds out well enough.

The thermometer isn't the easiest to read, and with it's super small scale, you'll get an estimate of the temperature, give or take about 3-4 degrees. It's not the most accurate. But having said that, it's a fun little feature, and can be good to mark temp drops. Again, my last keyring was a more accurate thermometer, bigger and easier to read; but in the woods you're not going to have much use from the thermometer.

The only down side, other than the oversized carabiner (woo, free small carabiner for something else), is that the compass is very sensitive. If you keep the keyring on your keys when trying to use the compass, it will nearly always tell you which way your largest key is facing. As long as you take it off the keyring....well it's been accurate for me.

All in all, I'd say this is a 4 out of 5 good quality item. Yes I would recommend it.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Silva-Keyring-Co...151&sr=1-1
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
23 October 2012, 08:36,
RE: Silva Keyring Compass Review
Nice little bit of kit, I have the model 28 but would not turn that find of yours down
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Silva-36694-Micr...91-0977415