Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wood or metal?
1 September 2012, 10:57,
Wood or metal?
So, I'm thinking about getting out of here and moving to somewhere with some sun, Shipping containers look great and I think will cost less than a wooden house/cabin, plus a lot less work, Metal will eventually rust and wood could cause probs..look at Spain and the fires.
Transporting a shipping container up a mountain could be a problem, What do I do? any recommendations, pros and cons about wooden and metal houses please Smile
Hope to fix solar panels to the outside of the house and would like house to be raised ..1.for water storage and disposal and 2 in case of flooding as would like a house near a river,stream etc. Also have to consider a cooking area, so maybe 2 shipping containers needed?
1 September 2012, 11:15,
RE: Wood or metal?
(1 September 2012, 10:57)Prepaday Wrote: So, I'm thinking about getting out of here and moving to somewhere with some sun, Shipping containers look great and I think will cost less than a wooden house/cabin, plus a lot less work, Metal will eventually rust and wood could cause probs..look at Spain and the fires.
Transporting a shipping container up a mountain could be a problem, What do I do? any recommendations, pros and cons about wooden and metal houses please Smile
Hope to fix solar panels to the outside of the house and would like house to be raised ..1.for water storage and disposal and 2 in case of flooding as would like a house near a river,stream etc. Also have to consider a cooking area, so maybe 2 shipping containers needed?

Young Lady its time you learned to start doing research, the first book you want is How to live off-grid

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/05538...0553818198

But til you get a copy start here
http://www.off-grid.net/

1 September 2012, 11:26,
Mr R. I have done some research and the more I do, the more confused I get Sad I want as little work as poss lol. Metal container would take a lot of work away compared to a wooden one but wood does look nicer, Plus trying to be green as poss and trees have to be cut for a wooden house. Thanks for the link Smile I will get Mr P to order it for me Smile
1 September 2012, 11:47, (This post was last modified: 1 September 2012, 11:50 by NorthernRaider.)
(1 September 2012, 11:26)Prepaday Wrote: Mr R. I have done some research and the more I do, the more confused I get Sad

So do I, I thought I must be getting old or have Mad Cow disease, but I cant have cos I'm an Aardvark Smile
Ok so when you have read to book and studied the web site the next step is to go and visit the CAT center in Wales to see all the technologies in action Smile ( Center for alternive energy , they built eco houses as well) Or Try the Findhorn foundation up Inverness way they have their own eco village, and I think theres another eco village near Nottingham