Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anyone have this tape?
3 September 2012, 17:40,
Anyone have this tape?
I haven't noticed anyone mention it on here before so I thought I'd suggest it as I used to use it when I worked as an aerial rigger/sattelite engineer its called self amalgamating tape basically its a non-adhesive rubber tape that forms a water tight bond to itself ie wrap it around a pipe that has a hole (the tape stretches so make sure you stretch it tightly around what your sealing) in it hold your hand around it for a few seconds (the heat from your hand will help it bond to itself quicker) then no more leak. It can also be used to wrap around joins in cables (such as aerial cables) to make a waterproof seal, I personally have never found any rust inside a connection sealed this way and neither had anyone I worked with and you can get a 10m roll from b&q for £2.48 (tower self amalgamating tape 10 metre - if you want to search for it on their website) hope this is of some use to someone
3 September 2012, 17:58,
RE: Anyone have this tape?
Bought two fresh rolls of Am tape off Amazon only last week, I use it all the time, sealing cables, improving the grips on bows etc.

3 September 2012, 18:04,
Bows... Now there's an idea! That would also stop them from breaking so easily as well as it would hold it together if it started to crack/split/whatever until you can grab your next one or repair it (the bow not the string obviously Big Grin )
3 September 2012, 19:33,
Standard part of my radio gear.

prep88,
Self amalgamating tape has little tensile strength.
It's more a sealing tape and lovely for making non slip grips.

3 September 2012, 19:47,
(3 September 2012, 18:04)Ukprepper88 Wrote: Bows... Now there's an idea! That would also stop them from breaking so easily as well as it would hold it together if it started to crack/split/whatever until you can grab your next one or repair it (the bow not the string obviously Big Grin )

A bit iffy on its own for bow repair, few repairs last very long but one i saw still going a few weeks later involved a crack or fracture in a flatbow that had not gone right through.
The owner opened the crack slightly by bending it and pushed apoxy resin into the gap.
He then bound the fracture with dental flossing thread an coated that in a fine amount of epoxy again.
Then he bound it in amalgamating tape and sealed it all in under a length of shrink rap.

3 September 2012, 23:01,
Yeah got some
Smile
4 September 2012, 23:53,
Yes, is good on handles & can be unwrapped with care and reused elsewhere.
"How far back in time do you think our future will be?"
5 September 2012, 17:01, (This post was last modified: 5 September 2012, 17:03 by Prepper1.)
Similar idea to that tape is an old inner tube off a bike or car or truck or whatever, cut into 1-2cm wide strips of the longest lengths you can, are ideal for wrapping tightly around burst pipes etc... I used one on a burst radiator pipe in a car, lasted years... similar to a bungee cord but flat.
Added to that if you spread rubber glue on the repair as you winding the rubber strip around it becomes an amorphous blob of sealed rubber.
I tried to be normal once.... Worst two minutes of my life...
5 September 2012, 19:57,
TL, if you can unwrap it then you are not stretching it enough to make it bond or amalgamate. As a sparky I've got odd bits of it in most bags and boxes around the place.
5 September 2012, 20:40,
Thankyou for that. That is one of my areas too. The reason for not wrapping round handles too tightly, is so you can get measured amounts off again later as the situation & need arises. It makes an excellent grippy handle and is also available for reuse elsewhere. It is what I have bound over the paracord which is wrapped round the steel handle of my Utility camp tool, as shown in the projects thread. TL
"How far back in time do you think our future will be?"