Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Do they know?
5 September 2012, 14:38,
Do they know?
Do your friends and family know that you are making preparations?
If yes, are they also preparing or are they choosing not to?
Can you imagine them knocking on your door to ask for help, maybe taking it by force out of desperation or hinting to the mob about the "greedy hoarder who isn't giving his fair share" when times are hard.
In a scenario when not many are left, like a pandemic, I can imagine this not being a major issue, if it strikes quickly enough.
However if something like hyperinflation or a solar flare happens, unless you have bugged out quickly enough or have maintained OPSEC, how would you deal with this?
Woe to those who add house to house and join field to field, Until there is no more room, So that you have to live alone in the midst of the land!
Isaiah 5:8
5 September 2012, 14:45,
RE: Do they know?
only one who knows is sister in law and she thinks WTSHTF "i will share with my neighbours and they will share with me" !! boy is she in for a shock!!! apart from that no one knows, especially the neighbours as they are all sheeple and as thick as two short planks.Big Grin
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
5 September 2012, 14:49,
None of my family know but I do make a point to emphasize that the price food is going up like mad and tell them to buy extra of everything. My lass says she has but maybe she is just trying to shut me up?
5 September 2012, 15:29,
Wife knows, she's on board. Actually told me that I need to buy more preps yesterday!
Don't talk to any of my family as they're 'orrible, so they can fend for themselves. Plus they don't know where we live.

Friends who are not in the MSG know nothing. The only one who does know is the mother in law, but she's nuts anyway and lives 150 miles away.

Somehow someone finds out and wants a share? Well there's not just me to contend with, there's a group of us.

Got a bad feeling that our baby-sitter knows what we're upto, cause the wife let slip about her EDC. She and her husband are both unemployed (through choice) and have 2 children AND want another one. I've told the wife under no circumstances are they to know what we have - to be honest I don't even like them in the house. I know for a fact should anything happen then they'll be round ours like a shot. Thankfully though, we won't be there, neither will any of my preps Smile
5 September 2012, 15:39,
People at work think i'm a hoarder, but i've already told them if they even look at me wrong when it hits the fan and there sitting in a pool of there own piss i wont be afraid to hurt them, to disable there means of attacking me and taking what is mine, my brother knows and he is a prepper but to be honest he's a t**t (brotherly love at its best) and my girlfriend knows, she's trying her best to prep and store food and whatnot but her parents are the sort that will look to god to save them... other than that nobody else knows, i have my BOB stashed in my wardrobe and at a moments notice i can whip it on and be out the house, id say 5 minutes, due to getting changed into my bugout clothing, i also have my EDC which i take with me to work and its a 30 minute walk from work to get home so all in all, not too bad, but i haven't told a soul my bugout route, because im getting my girlfriend (who lives down south at the moment) and bugging out yet again to a more safe location...

But in all honesty i would harm someone without hesitation, you have to protect whats yours, and if its your BOB which is vital to your survival you wont want anybody else taking that away from you.
5 September 2012, 15:42,
(5 September 2012, 15:39)Cestrian Wrote: People at work think i'm a hoarder, but i've already told them if they even look at me wrong when it hits the fan and there sitting in a pool of there own piss i wont be afraid to hurt them

Work?! You mean school don't you Rolleyes
5 September 2012, 15:51,
i work nights and have done since i was 18 thanks Tongue fyi im 27 now
5 September 2012, 15:57,
(5 September 2012, 15:51)Cestrian Wrote: i work nights and have done since i was 18 thanks Tongue fyi im 27 now

Sorry, that might have come across as a bit harsh. If anyone who worked for me gave me that little snippet though they'd be out the door before they'd finished the sentence! You must have very accommodating work colleagues Smile
5 September 2012, 15:59,
they are, im too honest for my own good sometimes but they all know im honest and they all know there place, plus the managers keep me around because im a bloody hard worker and get the job done
5 September 2012, 16:11,
(5 September 2012, 14:38)Tibbs735 Wrote: Do your friends and family know that you are making preparations?
If yes, are they also preparing or are they choosing not to?

What I did with various members of my family is to raise the issue twice with them over a period of time, usually when some significent story or event occurs such as that bastard of a winter we had two years ago. I often use such a reference to enquire " did you get snowed in and run out of stuff to eat, or did you have extra set aside for a rainy day" Then six months later I would enquire" Winters coming again have you made any preps incase its another bad one" and if their replies are negative both times I write them off and exclude them from my preps.