Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anyone used potato flakes
6 September 2012, 16:00,
Anyone used potato flakes
I have seen a 25kg bag of potato flakes for sale, the packaging says that when added to water it makes approx 100kg of potato, any thoughts
6 September 2012, 16:02,
RE: Anyone used potato flakes
Hotel sized bag, good fuind but i think once they are opened they have to be used within a week, so you either have to repack and reseal the flakes into smaller packs, or perhaps buy smaller packs to set aside??

6 September 2012, 16:05,
(6 September 2012, 16:00)Jan Wrote: I have seen a 25kg bag of potato flakes for sale, the packaging says that when added to water it makes approx 100kg of potato, any thoughts

how much is it my friend
just read alas Babylon ,so im going to get more salt!!!!
6 September 2012, 16:57,
Sorry i didn't see a price, and it may of been a 12.5kg bag, but rumplers.co.uk have a bag for £28.75,
I was in a chinese supermarket in liverpool where I spotted the bags.

Thanks for the info NR, Ive got mylar bags and OA's, do you reckon they'd be okay repacked this way
6 September 2012, 18:03,
Jan,

Last time I was there there was a lot more than potato flakes. Rice, pasta, funny looking bits, funny looking animal bits, and other funny looking bits. Anything else worth the trip?
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
6 September 2012, 22:04,
It was just a quick mooch whilst in the area but yes, loads of different spices in approx 500g or 1kg bags, Allied Mills flour in 20kg sacks/bags, not sure if its any good for bread though, will be going back in a week or so to spend a few quid and will let you know more.

Do you reckon the potato flakes are worth the effort, the BBE/use by date was april 2013, will they be okay sealed in mylar bags with OA's

Cheers Jan
6 September 2012, 23:41,
Yes they are worth it. It may be worth making sure they are really dry before you seal them in. Where about do you go in the area. I'm a bit out of touch now and I want to revisit the area.
Skean Dhude
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
7 September 2012, 18:07,
Thanks for the info SD, I went to W H Lung Building/Blackstone St, Liverpool L5 9TZ, off great howard st, there are others but this the only one i know
8 September 2012, 18:26,
OK. Thanks for that. I don't recognise the name but I'll go there in the next few weeks.
Skean Dhude
10 September 2012, 11:05,
they're good for adding to soup/stew etc to thicken it up.