Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Modifying shop bought arrows
7 September 2012, 08:07,
Modifying shop bought arrows
Got to thinking last night after watching Nemesis reprofiling arrowhead video on YT and then buiggering up one of these target arrows I have here.

They are the cheapest decent arrow costing about £15 for 6, Composite shafts, nylon fletching but soft round very iffy round headed target tips that are only about1mm thick. If you grind em to sharpen them the end falls off.

So I thought why not use the good bits shaft, fletchs and nock and cut off the crap target head and epoxy some decent steel field heads onto the shafts???

I cannot think of any major drawbacks can you?

So where can I get shome decent steel or brass decent pointy field arrow heads from that fit 1/4 inch 6.5mm shafts?

7 September 2012, 08:51,
RE: Modifying shop bought arrows
I had the same happen with my field tips and a grinder.
A little rework on some brass screws with my grinder and I fabricated new field points BUT when I miss (which I do a lot of the time) if they contact stone or brick they "bend" well.

I tried to make my own broad points but my welding skills i.e. putting steel blades onto an M6 bolt (at least I think it was M6) wasn't that good so it didn't work.
I tried silver soldering them. That worked until they hit wood.
Shrapnel or what!
I compromised after that and bought a set of four times 4 bladed broad heads.
Way I see it if I can't bring something down in 4 shots, it ain't going to happen.

7 September 2012, 09:02, (This post was last modified: 7 September 2012, 09:04 by NorthernRaider.)
I'm not after broad heads or stuff like that just good solid metal pointy tips that will slide over the ends of thse 1/4 shafts and be expoxied into place.
Over I think I will try in time to assemble 30 GP arrows for each of us in our house at the moment, thats 90 arrows so I need to keep costs down and the arrows need to be multi functional ergo the ordinary pointy tip bit Smile

7 September 2012, 11:06,
http://www.merlinarchery.co.uk (arrows, arrow points, broadheads etc)Big Grin
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
7 September 2012, 11:57,
(7 September 2012, 11:06)bigpaul Wrote: http://www.merlinarchery.co.uk (arrows, arrow points, broadheads etc)Big Grin

Why thank you kind Sir, thats exactly the sort of thing I'm looking for, muchas gracias.

7 September 2012, 13:34,
(7 September 2012, 11:57)NorthernRaider Wrote:
(7 September 2012, 11:06)bigpaul Wrote: http://www.merlinarchery.co.uk (arrows, arrow points, broadheads etc)Big Grin

Why thank you kind Sir, thats exactly the sort of thing I'm looking for, muchas gracias.

Da Nada! have used them in the past and got good service.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
11 September 2012, 14:47,
Well I'm struggling to find a way to modify budget target arrows with their soft tips by trying to fit steel field points onto the budget arrows fibregalls shaft but the 5/16 arrow heads are really a good 2 mm to wide, so now i want to find out if WOODEN arrows can be fired from lower powered compounds ??

12 September 2012, 11:26,
OK I've made 5 arrows out of the glass fibre cheapo target arrows, I cut off the point of the target head but left the chrome body of it still in place IE I only cut off the pointy bit not the whole target head.

I then ran an 8 mm drill bit inside the 5/16 parallel field heads about 12 mm to remove the threading.

I lightly sanded the remaining target arrow head to provide a course surface for the expoxy.

I then mixed a small amount of Araldite rapid and coated the roughed up surface then slip on the drilled out field target heads, I ensured they were flush fitted and temporarily secured them in place to allow the expoxy to set.

Bingo A very sharp, very pointy steel field head attached to a budget arrow.

I'll try em out later and let you know how they perform from the Banshee.

12 September 2012, 12:39,
NR,

Did you by any chance take pictures of the process?
It might make a nice "how to"
Doctor Prepper: What's the worst that could happen?
12 September 2012, 13:14,
Not pics of the process but of the end result
http://www.flickr.com/photos/43478117@N00/7979249079/