Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Quick help please check my maths
7 September 2012, 11:56,
Quick help please check my maths
trying to work out what size arrow heads I need, I reckon the shafts on my cheapo SMK / Barnett/ Armex arrows are 1/4 wide so what size tips do I need to slip over to expoxy on. I'm hopeless at maths

1/4 = 2/8th or 4/16th so do I need 5/16 or 11/32 th ??
HuhHuhHuhHuh

7 September 2012, 11:59,
RE: Quick help please check my maths
5/16th is a tight fit. 11/32 will be looser and float more when setting. as 4/16 = 8/32.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
7 September 2012, 12:01,
(7 September 2012, 11:59)Skean Dhude Wrote: 5/16th is a tight fit. 11/32 will be looser and float more when setting. as 4/16 = 8/32.

Hmmm what would you use?

7 September 2012, 15:14,
I'd go for the tight fit even if it meant the heads may need to be forced in place as when they will have less flex. If they become damaged and have to be removed you have may damage the shaft but then you can have a loose fit.

HOWEVER : That is my viewpoint as an engineer. Maybe the heads need replacing frequently and glue is easier to remove than a tight and glue fitting. If someone has a better opinion then I'd go with that.
Skean Dhude
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
7 September 2012, 15:44,
They are steel tips machined from mild 7 or 8 mm rod I reckon, I think the tips are threaded and fibreglass has a nasty habit of cracking when you thread it so I'll probably drill out the threads and araldite them into place. Theoretically if I buy 31 inch target arrows i can keep lopping off the head and fitting a new one till I get down to 28 inches???

I've ordered a packet of the lightest steel parallel points i could find, will be an interesting experiment cos they will be far heavier than the original soft alloy tips??????

7 September 2012, 16:18,
Heavier has advantages for impact and distance. You can keep cutting them down but if they are threaded it may be better to glue on a threaded adapter.
Skean Dhude
11 September 2012, 12:02,
Got the 5 /16 to blooming big ,

11 September 2012, 14:03,
(11 September 2012, 12:02)NorthernRaider Wrote: Got the 5 /16 to blooming big ,

if wooden "arrows" you can buy a taper tool, if metal you can buy an adaptor...adaptor is £1.15each.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
11 September 2012, 14:30,
The tips I got are only 43 pence each, if I buy adaptors ( if i could find them) adding another £1.15 to the price I may as well buy ready made, I'm wondering if i can expoxy them on?

12 September 2012, 07:42,
Don't know but would smaller size heat up over flame, put on shaft and cool down with good grip. Think you said metal tip but don't know what your shaft is made from.
Only using scientific principles
JohnBig Grin

(11 September 2012, 14:30)NorthernRaider Wrote: The tips I got are only 43 pence each, if I buy adaptors ( if i could find them) adding another £1.15 to the price I may as well buy ready made, I'm wondering if i can expoxy them on?