Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Will TSHTF first, or will you become unwell and snuff from bad health?
7 September 2012, 13:44,
Will TSHTF first, or will you become unwell and snuff from bad health?
Okay everyone, get ready for a nasty rant! This is raw honesty and I think some people really need to double check their situation.

Please note this is not directed at anyone in particular. It's just something that is playing heavily on my heart.

The brutal truth is that yes, we all believe something external will happen that will cause a SHTF scenario. But we have no clue of the timescale.

After the sigh of relief post anti-climax of the Olympics (stunned nothing happened!!!) in regards to a SHTF occurrence, I have started to question the likelihood of a SHTF ever happening. Well, yes, I still think something will happen. But after the Olympic non-event, my timescales have been totally reassessed.

Let's embark on a mental exercise.

What is more likely to happen in the next 5 years, heart-attack, diabetes, another deadly illness, cancer, car accident, nuclear war, or something else? Each person will have their own answers, no need to post them, each exercise is for you, the reader, to contemplate.

Now, let's look at the events we can stop, with a simple Y/N answer:
Nuclear War?
Meteor?
Heart Attack?
Car Crash?
Diabetes?
Cancer?
Social Collapse?
etc
(again, no need to post answers)

Truth is, you can't stop any of them....except maybe live in the Andeas to stop a car crash.

What about things you can reduce the likelihood of it occurring?
Meteor....?
Nuclear War?
Social Collapse?
Oil Shortage?
I'd say they are all NO answers...(Social Collapse maybe, but not likely for 1 person to change that much of a society).
How about things like:
Heart Disease?
Diabetes?
Cancer?
Things that effect us internally are usually controllable. I'm not pretending that it's easy. Changing the foods we eat, the way we spend our free time, and things like that, they are all a bit of effort and require a conscious decision and will power.

In a 3-5 year timescale, what current killer has the largest likelihood of occurring? Yes a solar flare is very possible, but you can't stop that. Yes a social collapse is also possible, but it would be really f**king hard to stop that!!! Yes cancer is VERY likely, but you can make is much less likely. Same as diabetes, and a whole host of other illnesses and afflictions that we have allowed ourselves to fall prey to.

In 2 years, if nothing external has damaged this planet into a SHTF scenario, then that's all gravy. Looking back 2 years, we all probably thought something bad would happen in the next 2 years...and it didn't. Maybe in 2 years time we'll be having this same conversation?!?!? Who knows? But maybe the conversation will be from a hospital bed and start with the words "If only I had started looking after myself better 2 years ago...."

I'm sorry if this upsets some people, but it's pure honesty. "It's glandular" and other such excuses don't cut it with me. Laziness isn't a diagnosed medical condition....and thus it is not an excuse/reason.

If nothing happens in 2 years time, externally, what will be your health and fitness be like?
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
7 September 2012, 13:50,
RE: Will TSHTF first, or will you become unwell and snuff from bad health?
And you posted this in the MEDICAL section WHY?

7 September 2012, 13:55,
Because health is a medical issue.
7 September 2012, 14:14,
Naaa its a planning issue yer mad bugger Smile Glad your back with us BTW, did you get bail or do the full sentence ?Smile

7 September 2012, 15:01,
good points S13, health and fitness is an important part of prepping, our body and mind are our 2 most important preps! strong body and filled mind will keep you in good stead.

also diet has some much more far reaching effects than you may realise, effecting gene expression in the body, breaking and forming new connections in your brain, yes some foods can make you dumber, diet effects everything! ideally you should eat like a huntergatherer, nuts, berries and the odd bit o meat Smile

on another topic, is that a trouser snake in your avatar xD
7 September 2012, 15:03, (This post was last modified: 7 September 2012, 15:04 by Scythe13.)
(7 September 2012, 14:14)NorthernRaider Wrote: Naaa its a planning issue yer mad bugger Smile Glad your back with us BTW, did you get bail or do the full sentence ?Smile

I got neither. Been in hiding, so that I didn't get caught haha.
(7 September 2012, 15:01)Hrusai Wrote: on another topic, is that a trouser snake in your avatar xD

It's a guy hanging off a cliff edge, but clearly it needs to be changed....or modified.
7 September 2012, 15:06,
(7 September 2012, 15:03)Scythe13 Wrote:
(7 September 2012, 15:01)Hrusai Wrote: on another topic, is that a trouser snake in your avatar xD

It's a guy hanging off a cliff edge, but clearly it needs to be changed....or modified.

i cant tell you how much i laughed just then lol... well im still laughing

7 September 2012, 15:31,
If I had a trouser snake like that I'm not sure what I would do with it.

Welcome back Scythe.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
7 September 2012, 16:16,
looks like a literal snake coming out some trousers to me lol
7 September 2012, 19:50,
lol, I thought it was a silhouette of a chap wearing a fez.

Scythe, I agree with the overall premise of the thread, but I guess we differ in reference to timescales. Personally I'm leaning towards agreeing with something somebody posted this week (NR I think?) that SHTF in 2008 and will only deteriorate from that point. The only reason that wasn't "the big one" is the bailouts, but all that's done is postpone the inevitable.
We now have entire countries needing bailouts - our solution to countries crippled by debt is to create more debt, and it simply can't last forever. It's like paying a credit card bill with another credit card, eventually the credit runs dry and bankruptcy is the only possible outcome. (Interesting statistic BTW - 1 in 7 Americans has 10 or more credit cards... think about that)
The world is just not operating in a viable manner - if these countries were businesses they would have already gone bankrupt.