Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Foraging Fuel
10 September 2012, 17:31,
RE: Foraging Fuel
I'm getting a little bit confused! i have been told this scenario is for 3-6MONTHS duration only, but then i read remarks about post apocalyptical life and bugging out and scavenging.....sorry i think i've lost the plot>> surely if only for a 3-6 months period would'nt we sit tight at home and wait it out? i dont see the point of moving all my supplies for a measly 6 month "hiccup"!!Big Grin
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
10 September 2012, 18:36,
also if i'm to "acquire" some tyres and wheels from an agricultural source...as has been suggested...fuel too, i am likely to get blasted with a shotgun by an angry farmer if this is only a short term "downturn".....
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
11 September 2012, 05:54,
(8 September 2012, 14:37)Paul Wrote: Not without fuel!
(8 September 2012, 09:27)NorthernRaider Wrote: Add nail varnish remover ( acetone) to improve the cetane rating, DO NOT try and improve the OCTANE rating you will blow up your engine.
Folks add various stuff to bunker oil or veggie oil to make it run better in diesels, Parafin to stop it or ordinary diesel from waxing up, Acetone to make it burn better with less laquering, even a pint of petrol into a tank of diesel if its waxed up in the cold.

OK, I just need to know how much in the mix?

Anyone know if HDI modern motors can take this witches brew or should I keep on looking for an old banger?

i have heard that some of the new diesel engine really dont like veg oil or even biofuels ( a step back in my books) i have pre 08 ones all run amazingly on a mix or even just pure veg oil never had a problem what so ever , as for the mix i have never been that accurate with it , its between 1 in 5 and 1 in 8 and as for adding ethanol its about 1 in 10 but remember the oil has to be heated to thin it before adding the ethanol
11 September 2012, 08:30,
The more they tune the engines for better economy andfuel consumption the finer the tolerances are and the more likely they will get gummed up by veg oil or biodiesel. They don't really want you using it despite it being better for the environment.

Older diesels are better.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
11 September 2012, 09:24,
thats so true ! i wonder if oil companies have bought in to car companies!!
11 September 2012, 14:11,
(10 September 2012, 17:31)bigpaul Wrote: I'm getting a little bit confused! i have been told this scenario is for 3-6MONTHS duration only, but then i read remarks about post apocalyptical life and bugging out and scavenging.....sorry i think i've lost the plot>> surely if only for a 3-6 months period would'nt we sit tight at home and wait it out? i dont see the point of moving all my supplies for a measly 6 month "hiccup"!!Big Grin

oh i give up! i think i'll just go and lie down in a dark corner, this place is getting more like" unwanted knitting patterns" every day, even down to my comments being ignored.
12 September 2012, 00:12,
Short term...I'm staying at home, It won't affect me, got plenty of stock and don't have a car Smile
12 September 2012, 08:52,
(12 September 2012, 00:12)Prepaday Wrote: Short term...I'm staying at home, It won't affect me, got plenty of stock and don't have a car Smile

depends on the event.....if power goes off or the toilets back upBig GrinBig Grin
12 September 2012, 09:31,
Power going is fine and thanks to this site I know where to buy a toilet bung Smile
12 September 2012, 11:30,
(7 September 2012, 18:06)bigpaul Wrote: so i will be going down the Donkey cart route

Get that donkey towing a little car - mini or something. Offers more protection than just a cart. Plus it'll keep you warm and dry