Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trapped by world and UK events
8 September 2012, 14:33,
RE: Trapped by world and UK events
Up here "" Holiday Parks"" are the in thing now, people buying winterised statics and log chalets that they can live in for 11 1/2 months each year without paying Council tax, they start at around £22K with an annual ground rent of about £1600.

We aint got any canals though but I have also come across what is called " Full Timers" IE people who live FT in motorhomes migrating tween southern Spain in the winter and the UK in the summer.

I did meat some full time canal boaters on the GU canal at Hatton Locks.

I suppose if we want to avoid being taxed to death living within THE SYSTEM we have to be more transient and live outside the system??

8 September 2012, 17:49,
I met up with professional camper van folk in the 80's.
All they did was travel from job to job.
It seemed that every trade was covered.
Would have liked to have joined them but somehow the little tent I owned didn't seem appropriate.

They had it sussed though.
Any post, forwarded for general delivery or "poste restante" as it's sometimes called.
Some had accommodation addresses so no problems with "no fixed abode" labels.
Camp sites for a couple of weeks and move on or, job permitting, they just set up life in the works car park.

Pity I chickened out.
If I could have brought a van then, I'd probably have never settled down.

8 September 2012, 17:55,
(8 September 2012, 17:49)Paul Wrote: I met up with professional camper van folk in the 80's.
All they did was travel from job to job.
It seemed that every trade was covered.
Would have liked to have joined them but somehow the little tent I owned didn't seem appropriate.

They had it sussed though.
Any post, forwarded for general delivery or "poste restante" as it's sometimes called.
Some had accommodation addresses so no problems with "no fixed abode" labels.
Camp sites for a couple of weeks and move on or, job permitting, they just set up life in the works car park.

Pity I chickened out.
If I could have brought a van then, I'd probably have never settled down.
i knew people like that on building sites..usually irish...they travelled from building site to building site......i tried to do it in the 90's when i had a big Ex SWEB(electric company) van with a friend of mine who was a groundworks labourer.....but we just couldnt get any work.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
8 September 2012, 23:11,
(8 September 2012, 11:01)NorthernRaider Wrote: I believe that in the next few years any Brit with any sort of savings or pension is going to see them reduced or raided by the government, but its going to be compounded big style by indirect taxation which i think will go up much higher, I reckon VAT will go to a min of 25%, Fuel duty is assured to rise alarmingly but stuff like Stamp Duty, Inheritance tax, Council Tax etc is going to be ramped to to a level it will ensure no one dares protest or dissent cos they dare not get fined. Hopefully for some maybe Wales and Scotland will go independant thus giving a possible safe haven for some of us. But for most of us I fear for our survival purely cos of the cost of living.

Interesting about Scotland going it alone... IMHO, the British establishment will never allow it. Have you seen the amount of strategic military facilities in Scotland? The nuclear submarine base and support bases, the arsenals (including one south of Greenock where all our Tomahawk cruise missiles are stashed), the secret SAS base near Loch Lomond, the marines base near Arbroath? I'm working on a 2012 UK map of strategic nuclear targets and Scotland is just bristling with them, especially the greater Glasgow area.
9 September 2012, 09:00,
CFM just think how chuffed southern TORY MPS would be if they could annouce the opening of new military bases, depots, dockyards and the jobs they would created, Also consider whyt have they been opgrading places like Corsham and the south coast dockyards??

9 September 2012, 12:23,
Naah. All you'd get from the Southern toffs is NIMBY if nuke became local to them.
As that's where most of the money is so I can't see the Tories upsetting them.
Look out Thames Estuary though, loads of space for a nuke sub servicing bay.

9 September 2012, 15:36,
(9 September 2012, 12:23)Paul Wrote: Naah. All you'd get from the Southern toffs is NIMBY if nuke became local to them.
As that's where most of the money is so I can't see the Tories upsetting them.
Look out Thames Estuary though, loads of space for a nuke sub servicing bay.

a lot of the nuke sub servicing is done at Devonport!!
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
9 September 2012, 23:02,
The south coast is bristling with primary targets also, Devenport naturally being one of them. there are also key radar installations to scan the SW approaches and dispersal airfields for the RAF Typhoons to operate from in an emergency. And of course, greater London is rich in primary targets (MI5, MI6, etc., etc). But during the Cold War, Glasgow was reputedly the number one target.

Even Northern Ireland has a probably primary target (the MI5 office on the east of Belfast) and a scattering of secondary targets.

Back to the rest of the UK, the Isle of Mull and the Shetland islands look best in terms of avoiding fallout... Tom Selleck (American actor) is rumoured to have bought a retreat residence in the extreme, remote north of Shetland (just FYI).
9 September 2012, 23:07,
(8 September 2012, 23:11)cryingfreeman Wrote:
(8 September 2012, 11:01)NorthernRaider Wrote: I believe that in the next few years any Brit with any sort of savings or pension is going to see them reduced or raided by the government, but its going to be compounded big style by indirect taxation which i think will go up much higher, I reckon VAT will go to a min of 25%, Fuel duty is assured to rise alarmingly but stuff like Stamp Duty, Inheritance tax, Council Tax etc is going to be ramped to to a level it will ensure no one dares protest or dissent cos they dare not get fined. Hopefully for some maybe Wales and Scotland will go independant thus giving a possible safe haven for some of us. But for most of us I fear for our survival purely cos of the cost of living.

Interesting about Scotland going it alone... IMHO, the British establishment will never allow it. Have you seen the amount of strategic military facilities in Scotland? The nuclear submarine base and support bases, the arsenals (including one south of Greenock where all our Tomahawk cruise missiles are stashed), the secret SAS base near Loch Lomond, the marines base near Arbroath? I'm working on a 2012 UK map of strategic nuclear targets and Scotland is just bristling with them, especially the greater Glasgow area.

The MoD made plans a long time ago when this was first raised. SUre they wouldn't like it but they would be out of scotland and moving down south before you coulld say 'Goodbye Barnett formula'
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
9 September 2012, 23:16,
(9 September 2012, 23:07)Skean Dhude Wrote:
(8 September 2012, 23:11)cryingfreeman Wrote:

The MoD made plans a long time ago when this was first raised. SUre they wouldn't like it but they would be out of scotland and moving down south before you coulld say 'Goodbye Barnett formula'

I frankly don't believe they would and any such plans were cosmetic; the Scots of a separatist persuasion are mostly happy to think the option of secession exists and is viable without actually having to see it through, so it keeps them happy. But the fact remains, Scotland already possesses critical strategic military value just by virtue of being the northern end of the UK. The powers that be will not relinquish this and any Scottish referendum on independence will be made sure to flounder.