Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Watches
8 September 2012, 19:38,
Watches
I'm looking for some reasonably priced but accurate watches. Pref with a date feature. I want a wind up or kinetic.

Anyone got any experience with watches and recommendations.

There are 200K on eBay and I have no idea which are any good.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
8 September 2012, 20:08,
RE: Watches
I've used two types for the last 30 years and both types have never failed me, neither are EMP proof though.
First is my Lorus sports KINETIC yt57 self winding watch black analogue face white date box, second hand and luminous hands
Cost me £45 from Argus still working fine.
My current EDC watch is a Citizen ecodrive solar powered watch, lighter than the Lorus but just as reliable , black face with three sub dials and stop watch mechanism again cost around £45

I always fit either green mil spec watch straps or velco sports straps so i can clip Recta or Suunto mini compasses to the same strap.

8 September 2012, 20:12,
is this the one you have NR?

http://www.citizenwatches.co.nz/products...AN3390-50E
8 September 2012, 22:12, (This post was last modified: 8 September 2012, 22:15 by NorthernRaider.)
(8 September 2012, 20:12)Hrusai Wrote: is this the one you have NR?

http://www.citizenwatches.co.nz/products...AN3390-50E

Similar but cheaper, plain stainless case.
More basic like this
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Citizen-Eco-Driv...839&sr=1-5

8 September 2012, 22:22,
(8 September 2012, 22:12)NorthernRaider Wrote: Similar but cheaper, plain stainless case.
More basic like this
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Citizen-Eco-Driv...839&sr=1-5

ah thanks, had a look through their catalogue and that was the one that sounded most like ur description to me Smile....definately look like nice watches though Big Grin
8 September 2012, 22:28,
I like not relying on batteries or clock work springs, both systems have been utterly reliable for over a decade.

8 September 2012, 22:32,
(8 September 2012, 22:28)NorthernRaider Wrote: I like not relying on batteries or clock work springs, both systems have been utterly reliable for over a decade.

i share the same sentiment myself so its nice to hear of a good watch that fufills these requirements from a source i trust Smile...will put it on my "to buy list"
9 September 2012, 01:20,
Solar powered watches charge up during the day and they store the solar power in ..... a rechargeable battery.
This rechargeable battery has a shelf live just like a primary battery. Probably about 10 years.
While I like solar powered watches (I don't feel as guilty draining the battery to use the backlight) they are not going to last you a lifetime and replacing the battery is harder as it's not going to be a standard button cell.

If you want a watch to last you a lifetime you need a mechanical watch.
Doctor Prepper: What's the worst that could happen?
9 September 2012, 07:14,
Seiko Kinetic dive watch. 200m water resist.

Like an automatic, but in stead of winding it has a flywheel dynamo type arangement that charges a permanent capacitor, I think. Movement is quartc based analogue, with day date.

It has seen a lot of action, 2000+meter altitude, 50m dive depths, -30c to +40c.

So far in continuous use for a few months short of 10 years. Looks and performs exactly as it did when first purchased.

72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

9 September 2012, 08:48,
Timex rule!
25 years old and still going although it always has lost 3 minutes a day.
That's 6 days of my life, shocking!