Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kerosine stoves
17 September 2012, 20:35,
Kerosine stoves
Non pressurized wick type.
[Image: 16712_168_Kerosene_Stove.jpg]
Anyone recommend a good UK supplier?

17 September 2012, 20:38, (This post was last modified: 17 September 2012, 20:41 by NorthernRaider.)
RE: Kerosine stoves
Oh I remember reading a warning about some of these but I did not keep a copy of it, apparently some of the chinese copies are utter junk and it was some obscure nations version that was the best.
Oops I was thinking about the Origo alcohol unpressuirised stoves loved by boaters
http://www.swego.com/stoves_alcohol.htm

18 September 2012, 09:42,

These people may be able to help. I've used them in the past for spares for my Blue flame heaters, and they are really helpful.

http://shop.hattersleyaladdin.co.uk/inde...nt=10&pg=1

Hurricane Lamps.co.uk used to have them advertised, I wanted one myself, but put it off. They don't advertise them on the website anymore, but maybe they can point you to the manufacturer.

http://www.hurricanelamps.co.uk/
HTH

Sailing away, not close to the wind.Heart
18 September 2012, 12:27,
(17 September 2012, 20:38)NorthernRaider Wrote: Oh I remember reading a warning about some of these but I did not keep a copy of it, apparently some of the chinese copies are utter junk and it was some obscure nations version that was the best.
Oops I was thinking about the Origo alcohol unpressuirised stoves loved by boaters
http://www.swego.com/stoves_alcohol.htm

They are junk BUT the piccy was to give folk an idea about what I'm on about. I don't like pressurized. Never had even though I owned a primus for years.
I regard pressurised the same as gas powered.
Something else to go BOOM!
Plus there is the spares issue, the limited fuels you can use, etc.

Currently I'm using a simple Altoids stove or my little rocket stove.
What I'm looking for is a "wicky" stove for home use.

18 September 2012, 12:42,
What about these Kelly stove or Hurricane stoves that use a directed venturi effect to heat food and water using scrappy bits of wood?

18 September 2012, 13:58,
Too expensive to buy NR.
Think Worzel Gumage type of engineering, that's me.
I try to build using s'crap'.
I always work on the premise that one day I'll need to use what's lying round.
My can opener, and knife as my only tools.
My little rocket stove (made from a large catering tin and two baked bean cans) fries my favorite bangers in minutes.
OK, outside use only, but the wood it uses is minute and absolutely no waste and hardly any smoke as it burns so darn hot.

The Altoids stove is great when out and about. Together with it's little stand, it fits into my billy together with a 60 ml eyewash bottle full of meths which is enough for two complete brews.
So far it's burnt DERV, unleaded, white spirit, paraffin, and acetone. Tea occasionally tastes a bit weird but that's part of the fun.

I've tried to make a wood / gas burner.
It works, sort of, but I find it difficult to break up the wood small enough and cut neat enough holes in the cans.
Then it takes for ever to get going.
I know I'm doing something wrong but I can't work what.
It's a work in progress.

Now winter is approaching AGAIN (funny that, every year without fail) so I thought I'd splash out on a proper wick stove.

18 September 2012, 15:44,
(18 September 2012, 12:42)NorthernRaider Wrote: What about these Kelly stove or Hurricane stoves that use a directed venturi effect to heat food and water using scrappy bits of wood?

Kelly kettle highly recommended. Use mine most weekends to brew up for the missus. Boils water quicker than my gas stove, especially on windy days.
18 September 2012, 17:15,
(18 September 2012, 13:58)Paul Wrote: Too expensive to buy NR.
Think Worzel Gumage type of engineering, that's me.
I try to build using s'crap'.
I always work on the premise that one day I'll need to use what's lying round.
My can opener, and knife as my only tools.
My little rocket stove (made from a large catering tin and two baked bean cans) fries my favorite bangers in minutes.
OK, outside use only, but the wood it uses is minute and absolutely no waste and hardly any smoke as it burns so darn hot.

The Altoids stove is great when out and about. Together with it's little stand, it fits into my billy together with a 60 ml eyewash bottle full of meths which is enough for two complete brews.
So far it's burnt DERV, unleaded, white spirit, paraffin, and acetone. Tea occasionally tastes a bit weird but that's part of the fun.

I've tried to make a wood / gas burner.
It works, sort of, but I find it difficult to break up the wood small enough and cut neat enough holes in the cans.
Then it takes for ever to get going.
I know I'm doing something wrong but I can't work what.
It's a work in progress.

Now winter is approaching AGAIN (funny that, every year without fail) so I thought I'd splash out on a proper wick stove.

Paul,

Details of Rocket Stove please???

72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

18 September 2012, 18:35,
(18 September 2012, 17:15)Lightspeed Wrote: Paul,
Details of Rocket Stove please???

pdf sent.

18 September 2012, 18:56,
Also check out nemesis ( Wet & Cold) You tube vids I'm sure he has article about improvised cookers.