Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Living permanantly in your BOL prior to an event ?
19 October 2011, 10:41,
Living permanantly in your BOL prior to an event ?
.....how can you live permanantly in your BOL ?

I come across the statement "I live in my BOL" quite often on prepping and survival sites, usually from people who live in a village or somewhere a bit more remote than is usual. It's usually in response to someone asking about BOL's in general.

My problem with it is that if you live there it cant then be your BOL, it is your home, unless i'm missing something. I'm not being pedantic about the words used, I just don't get the concept. Just because you live somewhere remote doesn't mean that you will never have to bug-out although that is often the impression given

I appreciate that some people might not see the need for a BOL, but I am just struggling with the concept of living in your BOL prior to an event

Confused as ever

JD
19 October 2011, 11:00,
RE: Living permanantly in your BOL prior to an event ?
You are correct they are not using the terms ideally.
What they should say is something along the lines of "I live in a location that others might consider to be a BOL for them".
But no matter where you live you may need to Bug-Out, even if you have bugged-out you may need to bug-out again! (That would suck but it could happen).
Doctor Prepper: What's the worst that could happen?
19 October 2011, 14:14,
You're right.

Reading my post again it does look like i'm arguing about semantics but it is more about the point you made, the fact that no matter where you live you may at some point need to bug out even if it isn't your preferred option

I have read a few people saying similar across the various forums over the years, that they don't need a BOL as they already live in it. I just find it a very strange thing to say especially as one of the people saying it recently (not here) has been around the prepping/survival world for many years.

I just wondered if i was missing something, it wouldn't be the first time

19 October 2011, 16:18,
What they should be saying really is that their live-in BOL is in fact their Retreat or Redoubt or Homestead.

For some people their Retreat/BOL is the be-all and end-all as they have taken many years to find their ideal location and home. If it is the perfect Retreat then why bug-out? If it was that perfect, then I would defend it or die trying.

Again, a lot depends on what/why you are prepping in the first place, so a BOL might not even be considered. Remember, not all of us are planning on a TEOTWAWKI scenario.
British by birth, English by the grace of God.

Every morning, I wake up and thank God I am an Englishman!
19 October 2011, 16:27,
(19 October 2011, 16:18)Dana Wrote: If it is the perfect Retreat then why bug-out? If it was that perfect, then I would defend it or die trying.
No location is perfect. While I'd defend my location in most circumstances there is no point dying trying to defend against an overwhelming force.
Also natural disasters (or radiation, poison cloud etc) can force you to abandon your location no matter how ideal it appeared.

Always be prepared to Bug Out.
Doctor Prepper: What's the worst that could happen?
19 October 2011, 16:47,
Maybe it's the definition of a BOL that is the problem. To me it is a "location" to "bug out" to (hence the name) if ever your permanant home was, or was going to be, uninhabitable. There are many reasons that could happen from the more extreme to the simple flood / fire etc

It could be a B&B, a campsite, a cabin on Ben Nevis, anything at all where you can avoid the danger affecting your home, but what it can't be by definition is your normal home no matter how ideal a place it is/was to survive
19 October 2011, 20:45,
Myself I say I'm Bugging In.

Bugging Out means I'm relocating to a better place. Bugging In means that I'm already living where I want to ride out the aftermath on the event.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
19 October 2011, 22:02,
i would bug out.
if you live somewhere really good try and stay for as long as you can but you should always be ready to move out and go to a safer place unless your god or the devil you could not stop every one from attacking you and it depends whats happened aswell
to win the war, you must be willing to die
20 October 2011, 09:17,
Grumpy,

It depends on where you live. If you live in the country on a smallholding for example you can Bug In.

If you live in a block of flats in central London then you want to bug out.

Obviously people draw the line at different places because of costs or needs. Personally many of us would like to have a remote retreat but cannot afford it.

We have to make do. We will have to adapt and if we accept the situation we can plan to reduce the risk.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
20 October 2011, 15:15,
This is my arguement skean. I already live in a place that a few would consider a BOL, most others would overlook it. It is a place that has been used in fiction.

Unfortunately, I do not have a place in the countryside though I am literally 5 minutes walk from it. This is something that I am considering when the finances are right (along with moving abroad). Saying all that, there are no cities either where I live, just small towns, villages and hamlets.

I am comfortable of where I live, so would only consider BO when/if the need is of a serious nature and then it would still be within a few miles of home. I was born here, I know nowhere else apart from holidays away, so I would take my chances in my local area.
British by birth, English by the grace of God.

Every morning, I wake up and thank God I am an Englishman!