Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Forum wide challenges if you fancy it...
19 September 2012, 11:31,
Forum wide challenges if you fancy it...
I was going to put this as a reply to sd's post on the main site but as some people dont go there, I thought I'd put it here for you to have a butchers at...

For me, prepping and survival is about mindset more than it is about kit,
look at what the Australian Aborigines DON'T have and can survive without.

Yes I know, we don't have the sun over here,the main problem over here is the rain, wind and cold, also snow but to a lesser extent. Snow never seems to be a given over here, unless you live in Scotland or the high moors in Yorkshire say.

Maybe not now, maybe not when your having that nice naked sunbathe in the garden...but you know we have it, that's one thing you can rely on the u.k. for cold and rain and not much sun, are you prepared for it??

Food wise, Bunnies, squirrels and such are about but you need to "know" them and their habits, where they go when they feed, what they feed on AND how to make snares, traps or be a good shot or you'll never ever get one.
The same can be said for fish, fishing's harder than it looks, especially if your cold wet and shivering and near death due to hypothermia.

Try going out with your fire starting kit next time its pissing down, just in your back yard or whatever, stand there in just a t-shirt and jeans and get soaking wet, say about half an hour at the very least, its even better if its windy and cold as well. get soaked to the skin. get cold, get shaky and shivery, then try and light your fire with whats available in your yard or garden only and no, not the charcoal briquets from the shed.

Go out on cold windy wet days in very inappropriate clothes, anybody can survive with a Berghaus jacket etc...

Experience the weather, experience cold wet misery for an hour or two in a safe controlled way now.

Experience the mind numbing cold on your head when its raining and the winds howling and you've forgotten your hat.

What I'm trying to say is experience things now, push yourself to experience suffering, but in a safe way while you can.

What happens if you have to bug out with nothing but the clothes on your back, no coat, maybe no shoes?

Think it cant happen?

Why do you think soldiers rarely take their boots off on a survival or escape and evasion course? Because its guaranteed the minute you take your boots off to dry your cold wet feet, you'll get bumped and hey presto there's you running away with either no boots or your boots in your hand...Pick a day that your at home and walk round inside and out all day barefoot on the grass on your path, when its wet and cold as well, feel you cold wet feet, feel the stones...

Could you improvise footwear from whats in a shed maybe, and no not the wellies or gardening boots.

Pick a day in autumn or winter when its cold, spend the day outside in the cold and wet with no coat on, get cold and wet, how do you feel??

Go out with your air rifle or bow, crossbow whatever you have in the middle of winter, without gloves or a coat, try loading the air rifle or fitting your arrow with cold numb hands, definitely try for that kill shot whilst your shivering uncontrollably...

Can you banish the shivers long enough to get off a good shot??

Go a full day without eating from the minute you get up till at least 3 in the afternoon, later if you can, experience hunger, experience watching others eating but not you, smell the food but you cant eat.

These are all basic things we should all experience more than once, to feel what it might be like in a real shtf situation.

As an ex reg, I've been "privileged" to experience sentry duty for hours in the pouring rain, not being allowed to put your waterproofs on because they make to much noise... Lying in a shell scrape on a windswept, raining sideways, godforsaken moor, or walking in driving horizontal snow over moors with ankle breaking grass tussocks up to your knees... not being allowed a fire because it can be smelt and seen for miles... not being allowed hot food because it can be smelt for miles... not being allowed more than your one canteen of water a day no matter how hot and thirsty you are...no smoking because that can be seen for miles at night.

Have a go at things now while you can in a safe controlled way, because experiencing things like cold, hunger and pain etc... in a survival situation for the first time is not a good way to go.

Peace out, prepper1Big Grin
I tried to be normal once.... Worst two minutes of my life...
19 September 2012, 14:01,
RE: Forum wide challenges if you fancy it...
I know it's kind of cheating, but I managed a semi-reasonable shot in the cold a while back. My trick......

I regularly have ice baths to help recovery from gym sessions, mma, etc. So the cold isn't that bad. But also...and this is a real beauty, but could easily lead to you being killed more easily...exercise. If you pump out a load of press-ups and stuff like that, you can raise your bodyheat high enough for long enough to stop shivering. Only issue is....in a real life scenario, you will look like you're getting your butt kicked mid workout haha.

On another note, have your hands tucked up tight under your arm-pits. That allows your body to 'recycle' the heat produced, but more importantly, it helps you keep pretty good dexterity in the cold.

But you're damn right, it's one hell of a challenge!
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
19 September 2012, 14:17,
also one bit of advice if tshtf, dont put your boots on if your feet are wet, or you most likely will get trenchfoot, and that s**t (pardon my french) is nasty as hell, seen it happen to a guy i was hiking with a few years back, not good... another thing to consider is lack of sleep, i go through it quite a lot working nights and not sleeping enough in the day, i think the longest ive gone without sleep is about 36/38 hours. but good advice from prepper1
19 September 2012, 14:59,
You can get high from sleep deprivation!!! The lead singer from REM used to hallucinate off it. Check out Uberman Sleep pattens! Really cool!!!
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
19 September 2012, 15:14,
Well I can say done that lol and it's hard but. U will be suprised how much a mouthful of blackberrIes can give you a boost sugar fix lol still do the sleep dep 4 hours last night and will be going till 2 tomoz morning lol it all helps when u can get your head round being tired just take your time mind you you have no choice
Good post Smile be nice to see who does it

Bd
19 September 2012, 15:34,
Why? I've got waterproofs etc stashed in various locations - why put myself through suffering unnecessarily when I prep precisely to avoid those things?

Yes, we all know when you're cold and wet and hungry, it's not nice, as you're cold and wet and hungry. I imagine 99% of us have been there before. You're not learning anything though are you? Seems like a waste of time to me - I'll spend my autumn day doing something productive, so I don't have to sit in the pissing rain thanks.
19 September 2012, 17:08,
(19 September 2012, 15:34)00111001 Wrote: Why? I've got waterproofs etc stashed in various locations - why put myself through suffering unnecessarily when I prep precisely to avoid those things?

Yes, we all know when you're cold and wet and hungry, it's not nice, as you're cold and wet and hungry. I imagine 99% of us have been there before. You're not learning anything though are you? Seems like a waste of time to me - I'll spend my autumn day doing something productive, so I don't have to sit in the pissing rain thanks.

Couldn't agree more Digital.

As for trying to get hypothermic to see what it's like?
What you going to do if some impressionable unknowing forum member does that with a weak heart or undiagnosed condition AND SNUFFS IT because they take it too far?
They're not all hardened ex-forces like you are.

As for shooting cold, shivering?
I go pest controlling in all weathers.
You know what our little team does when we get cold?
We stop and get warm. Why?
Because we don't want to waste ammo!

Oh yeah, we're all ex's as well.

19 September 2012, 21:30,
I've deleted the posts where you are slagging each other off.

I'm starting to feel like I'm spending to much time moderating and I just don't have the time. I'm not even getting time to post on the main site and if it wasn't for the guest posts there would be little there.

The rules are simple. People can post what they want as long as it doesn't attack others. If I see any more posts that attack others then I'm going to start banning. Prepper1's post may not be to everyones tatse but if you don't like it then just ignore it. How difficult can it be?

If someone attacks you let me know and I'll check and if I think it's an attack I'll ban them. If you retaliate you'll be off as well.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
19 September 2012, 21:34,
Isnt it both sad and unfortunate that this type of class is so common yet so unneccessary on prepping forums, I wish we could find a way to agree to disagree, but failing that SD is right, if you dont like a post just ignore it we REALLY dont want to go the route of Unwanted Knitting Patterns etc or tother place and end up with OTT moderation.

19 September 2012, 21:40,
(19 September 2012, 21:30)Skean Dhude Wrote: I've deleted the posts where you are slagging each other off.

I'm starting to feel like I'm spending to much time moderating and I just don't have the time. I'm not even getting time to post on the main site and if it wasn't for the guest posts there would be little there.

The rules are simple. People can post what they want as long as it doesn't attack others. If I see any more posts that attack others then I'm going to start banning. Prepper1's post may not be to everyones tatse but if you don't like it then just ignore it. How difficult can it be?

If someone attacks you let me know and I'll check and if I think it's an attack I'll ban them. If you retaliate you'll be off as well.

Ignore someone giving out potentially dangerous information?? I thought we were here to help each other, not endanger each other. This thread is daft. Catching hypothermia isn't good advice.

But, your house, your rules. With threads like this it's not surprising people don't hang around long.