Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
THE GREAT SARDINE CHALLENGE!
20 September 2012, 14:06,
THE GREAT SARDINE CHALLENGE!
I’m pretty darn sure just about every UK prepper has tinned Sardines in their preps. I know some of you have more than others! There’s just one thing.... apart from on toast, in sandwiches, straight out of the tin, what else can you make with them to ring the changes and make them more palatable?

So, here’s the deal. I challenge each and every one of you, and your other halves, parents, whoever holds your hand when you’re sad, to come up with a recipe to include tinned sardines. It can be as simple or complicated as you like. You must, however, provide the recipe and if possible a photo of the finished product.

At the end of the challenge, I will post a poll for voting for the best recipe.

You have until 10/10 to post your recipe. I will then open the poll which will close on the 20/10. The winner will be announced on 1/11 or thereabouts once I return from my hols.

As an incentive to take part, I am offering a dehydratorful of any one of the veg listed below to the winner.

Mushrooms
Mixed Peppers
Celery
Onions
Leeks
Peas
Sweet corn.

Happy cooking!
TOF.

Sailing away, not close to the wind.Heart
20 September 2012, 14:24,
RE: THE GREAT SARDINE CHALLENGE!
Take sardine add to crab pot, throw into sea, recover following day and eat crab or lobster instead Smile

20 September 2012, 15:29,
I love sardines.

Take 2 tins of sardines (I like mine in spicy tomato sauce)
few handfuls of your favourite pasta
salt and pepper.

Boil up your pasta in water (obviously) with a bit of salt and pepper if you like.
mix in with the sardines

EAT IT!

If you're trying to conserve fuel then leave your pasta to soak for an hours or so. Makes it nice and soft so all you really need to do is warm it up Smile
20 September 2012, 15:59,
I ate so many sardines when I was a poor student (last month), this is my favourite recipe for them though (serves 1) :

1 can sardines in oil
100 grams couscous
1 tsp lemon juice
a fresh or rehydrated chilli
some rehydrated onion
some mint leaves
200 ml hot chicken or veg stock (I make mine with bullion powder)

1 - put the couscous in a bowl with the stock, cover.
2 - in another bowl flake the drained sardines with a fork and add the lemon juice
3 - fry the onion in a little oil (in summer when I have lots of veg I'd also put in some peppers and courgettes, but this is the store cupboard option)
4 - mix the vegetables with the now soaked couscous. Add the sardines and the mint and chilli.
5 - stir everything together and enjoy.

This is a summer dish but everything listed above is in my food storage so I can make it any time of year.

I don't own a digital camera so I can't take pictures but I might be able to borrow one and add pictures before the deadline
Do not rush to meet Death, he may not wish to see you.
20 September 2012, 16:37,
Open tin and feed to dog? Not the biggest fan of sea food.
20 September 2012, 19:49,
I'm with NR and using it for fishing
Leon__xx

"The richest man is not he who has the most, but he who needs the least."
20 September 2012, 22:01,
Funny enough I have plenty of fish but sardines are not one of them.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
21 September 2012, 07:21,
not so much a recipe (and not my official entry, am workin on it Smile ) but basically we have no food in the house so i had to eat some sardines Tongue...but i found having a bit of caramelised onion chutney with them made the alot nicer Smile
21 September 2012, 10:07,
sardines in oil drained
2 oz. cream cheese
1 stick of celery chopped
half a red onion chopped
1 teaspoon dried dill
1 teaspoon horseradish sauce
2 teaspoon french mustard

In medium mixing bowl mix everything together , spread on crackers or toast then eat
21 September 2012, 10:21,
I'll stick to NR's crab catching technique. I HATE sardines, tuna, salmon (unless smoked), anchovies, and almost every other fish product available!!!
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin