Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Utility Room
5 August 2023, 20:54,
Thumbs Up  Utility Room
Utility means useful, being able to perform several functions.

We have finally got round to making better use of the utility, not a big room, 10ft x 6 ft 6in, but already having the usual sink, washing machine and freezer we realised it could be much better.

With reasonable cupboard space we’ve had a clear out of the things we never use and moved in some SHTF stuff, and it’s given us more room for food storage in the kitchen.

Should an event occur and we have no mains gas, electricity or water, everything is now at hand, even permanent 12v LED lighting.

I fitted a piece of marble worktop so I can use the two burner picnic stove safely, with the window cracked open for ventilation.

Outside there is room for two propane bottles under the workbench/table this will be under the new (soon to be) open veranda/canopy.

The berkefeld filter is now kept there together with oasis tablets, jugs and funnels and a couple syphon pumps. There is room for at least two water jerrycans on one cupboard.

The 12v supply from the leisure batteries is in there, for charging the USB lamps and batteries.

We never recharge lithium batteries, phones and tablets overnight or when we’re going out.

There are smoke and carbon monoxide detectors in there, and a fire extinguisher, just in case.

We still have room for coats and boots, and a couple of buckets of coal, it’s work in progress but we’re getting there.
6 August 2023, 08:18,
RE: Utility Room
my utility room is my shed.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
6 August 2023, 12:39,
The plan is to keep everything together to make things easier and simpler during outages
for these two Oldies.
6 August 2023, 13:26,
(6 August 2023, 12:39)Pete Grey Wrote: The plan is to keep everything together to make things easier and simpler during outages
for these two Oldies.
I know where everything is, the boxes in my shed are all labelled with contents.
its also my workshop and potting shed.
small stuff is in boxes in the 2 bedrooms.
our house is a small modern (1992) 2 bed starter home with a very small kitchen, in fact all the rooms are small, we worked out if we bought a small park home the floor space would be more than what we now have in the house. not that I have anywhere to put a park home!!
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
6 August 2023, 16:48,
That is absolutely the most stuff I ever heard of being packed into a 6x10 room!

You should write a book. I have the title.

"Zen and the art of room packing"!
6 August 2023, 23:47,
(6 August 2023, 16:48)Mortblanc Wrote: That is absolutely the most stuff I ever heard of being packed into a 6x10 room!

You should write a book. I have the title.

"Zen and the art of room packing"!

Have I not said before I am a Zen Master ?, one of my many talents :).

Window side from kitchen....upright freezer....washing machine....sink unit....cupboard with room on top for jerrycans should the need arise.

Marble on top of washer for picnic stove, stove has 2m hose and regulator, pass through window to gas bottle. Stove with hose kept in cupboard when not in use.

Inside wall....cupboards, these are only 12in deep wall cabinets under a cut down to 15in worktop, used this trick before in a galley kitchen.

Gives more walkthrough space but still leaves sufficient storage for the berkefeld, oasis tablets, jugs etc....at kitchen end Firexo all fire (types) 2litre extinguisher....at outside door end coathooks over a boot-rack....just enough room for couple of coal buckets by outside door (winter).

12v supply comes through wall from leisure batteries in garage....panel with 4 USB sockets, 2 cigarette lighter sockets....spare batteries in cupboard with ready made connecting leads.

Plan is to have SHTF essentials together and still be tidy and practical on a day to day basis.
7 August 2023, 11:52,
Mine is full of food. I've put shelving in wall to wall so it'll be awkward getting out a specific item despite me recording everything I put in there. It's really designed as a store and I'll have to extract and sort it into more manageable space. Although if you were not after anything specific, and in a disaster situation you won't be, you could just start at the front and work your way back.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
7 August 2023, 19:35,
Pete, word of caution.

I have had those rubber and copper gas lines freeze in really cold weather. If it gets much below 0c you can have a problem.

They do not freeze while sitting, only when the gas is flowing.
7 August 2023, 20:27,
(7 August 2023, 19:35)Mortblanc Wrote: Pete, word of caution.

I have had those rubber and copper gas lines freeze in really cold weather. If it gets much below 0c you can have a problem.

They do not freeze while sitting, only when the gas is flowing.

Thanks for the advice MB, fortunately we do not have the extreme frosts that you do.

The hose would only be used for short times (half hour ?) in a SHTF situation, and would not be left out when not in use.

I wonder if we could use foam pipe insulation ?, however your advice is gratefully noted.
14 November 2023, 21:37,
Tested smoke and carbon monoxide detectors.....simple prep but essential.