Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Easy grow foods
4 September 2011, 21:03,
Easy grow foods
I'm looking at planning for next years crop.

I found that my plums, peaches and raspberries were an excellent crop and required little work beyond picking when ripe or before to stop the wasps enjoying the crop. The raspberries are still producing now. I had so many plums and peaches I was giving them away as well as storing them. These are planted in the ground.

My blackberries and blueberries were just as prolific and I had a good crop from them for a couple of months. These are planted in pots.

One of my regular providers are a couple of wild brambles that have rooted behind the greenhouse. I always get plenty of berries from them and they are very sweet. I'm taking a cutting and putting in a pot to see how that goes next year.

What other plants are good for the person with sap dripping from his fingers? Plants that will require little work and yet provide a good crop.

Any suggestions?
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
19 September 2011, 18:29,
RE: Easy grow foods
Hmm well I have tried plenty of fruit & veggies with varying degrees of success... Have you tried Rhubarb? Once established it doesn't require much attention, or so I hear, I haven't personally managed to get one established! Gooseberries would be worth a go. I always get a good crop of runner beans for not much input, they do need watering a lot in dry spells though. Onions, Leeks and Shallots seem pretty foolproof though I have always grown the Onions and Shallots from sets. Beetroot (my first time at growing this year) was pretty much sow and grow with a bit of thinning. Too many failures with other crops to mention though!
19 November 2011, 16:49,
I tried growing foods for the last two years now ,only thing i can grow decent and quick with little maintainence was lettuce raddish and peas ,they fly up indoors on the window cil and grow fast ,had raddish ready to eat in only 10 -14days if i can remember ,don't half burn your skin off your lips though.
Tomatoes usually go green or mold up
I have 2 good apples trees with good fruit on this year,that we made apple pie and cider
hebs were good as well ,water crest and basil grew ok

I,m stocking up on these seeds i can grow fast with only water to help them ,I made an aquaponic system 2 years ago and the fish waste was feeding the hebs ,but I,m looking to grow big eat food not herbs yet untill i get a bit better at it
Watch your six
19 November 2011, 18:35,
Peas failed miseably for me. This year I have lettuce and radish on my list. Need to finish that off It's getting near time to go.
Skean Dhude
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
19 November 2011, 18:41,
easiest thing to grow is broad beans, there about the earliest thing to plant in the ground, around maytime.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
19 November 2011, 18:45,
On my list ,cheers Bigpaul
Watch your six
19 November 2011, 19:39,
I have found Broad Beans easy enough to grow though they do seem to suffer from Blackfly. Sowing in late autumn rather than spring is said to prevent this infestation.
19 November 2011, 19:50, (This post was last modified: 19 November 2011, 19:57 by Twoesme.)
Is there anything that grows here in the UK all year around thats fairly easy to grow cos people say we will go to the country for food ,but i,ve been out and about in south wales since I was a kid and belive me there is not a lot you can eat around here on the mountains ,unless someone else knows what I dont.
The cattle will be long gone in a few weeks or days soon as the farmers get them in and slautered .

Birds don't hang around in the cold weather so not many of them to shoot at ,There will be plenty of rats and fish if your a good fisherman to catch them ,rats will be on the menu mmm rat burger
Rat nuggets with lettuce and raddish [Image: photo08901.jpg]

Lettuce havent grown yet and i was starving ,just thinking ahead Big Grin
Watch your six
19 November 2011, 20:53,
It may be rat but I suspect it was sold as something else in the local fast food shop.

I'll be unhappy to be eating rat but I'll live with it. Just tell the kids it is rabbit or something.
Skean Dhude
20 November 2011, 18:22,
We might hafto eat our pets Undecided

My dogs 15 years old ,not much life left in him so i be doing him a favour ,well i did feed him for 15 years ,work out how much that cost i deserve to eat him all up Big Grin
Watch your six