Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
HN's home security scenario
23 September 2012, 13:20, (This post was last modified: 23 September 2012, 13:24 by HunterNurturer.)
RE: HN's home security scenario
(23 September 2012, 12:29)NorthernRaider Wrote: Plant vicous thorny hedge along front edge of lawn, invest in some glass bottles read to be made into molitovs AFTER rule of law has collapsed. Start your first line of defence at the edge of your property not against the window.

If you dont like militovs then go and buy they dry then dessicate and pound into dust a few pounds of hot chilli peppers that you can tip out the windows, works like CS gas.

With respect Sir the windows are the last place you want your lookouts after TSHTF, if you can look out they can look and shoot in, so to view and stay out of sight you have to stay in the back of the room moving sidways to view out the windows at restricted angles.
After TSHTF your lookouts need to be peeking out of slighly lifted slots in the roof tiles, or preferably outside.

Your clear field of fire is to the nearest building facing your house, only a mob is going to come up the middle of the street, real trouble will come in a vehicle.

The individual propetry to the south west of your property is the high risk spot, so much so it looks like it could be difficult to defend your home on more than one front, I would be investigating the back up plan AFTER TSHTF of knocking through from your loft to your multiple neighbours to give yourself an escape route to the north if it gets to dangerous and you cannot get out the back.

Do the sewers and drains run towards your house or away cos if they run towards you really nasty types could pump petrol down the drain and burn you out.

Thanks for the well thought out response, much appreciated! I'll try and address the points one by one.

Unfortunately I don't have a front lawn, just a very small (about 2m x 1m) patch of grass directly in front of the door. But I may plant something like blackberries or other quick growing thorny bush on this patch and let it grow out if SHTF.
I completely agree about having the first line of security as edge of the property, but unfortunately I'm kind of limited on that front as I only really have a driveway.
So my thinking on this is my first line of security is the lookout and the crossbow. This should stop an individual or up to 3 people before they even reach the edge of the property if they're coming from the road way. The main advantage of my position I feel is the bottleneck created by the close.
I also have a preliminary plan involving a deterrant at the edge of the property line - I'm thinking a 5 litre plastic water bottle, petrol, 1 way air valve, duct tape, screws/nuts/nails in the bottle, spark plug wired up and the wires leading to the bedroom where I'll be sat with a 12v battery Big Grin

Molitovs is def part of the plan. Defending against molitovs is a worry, but tbh in a situation where fuel is scarce I don't see many people willing to waste it for arson.

Homemade pepper spray type stuff is a good idea and I'll be factoring this into plans.

As for the window lookout, I don't think I explained it well. The windows will be boarded and will have blackout curtains, with just a small gap cut into the board to see out of, with those 1-way-view netting curtains obscuring the view in.
The roof tile lookout is a good idea though and I'll be taking a look at the practicalities of this later (I have food storage in the attic though, so I'm thinking about leaks).

Good point about real trouble coming via vehicle. I guess my only real defense against this right now is the crossbow, so I think I'll be stocking some quick dry cement in the shed from now on to knock up some quick vehicle barriers if SHTF.

Regarding knocking a wall through for an escape route, that's definitely in the plans which I forgot to mention. It's a semi-detached house so I would be able to knock through to that property and the next ones down are all attached, so if all were abandoned I could technically have holes through all of them as an escape route. The only problem is this means more property to defend and an easy way in for anyone who breaks into one of those houses. But doing it through the attics is a brilliant idea and something I hadn't thought of, and would allow me to put a tripwire or something in next door's attic with an alarm/explosive for early warning. Again much appreciated.

Regarding sewers and drains - NO idea whatsoever. How would I be able to find this out? Something I honestly never considered.
The picture doesn't show it but the road away from my home is downward sloping slightly which gives protection against flooding, so maybe this means the sewers/drains flow downwards away from my home too, but that's just guessing and any ideas of how to find this out would be appreciated!
Oh, and I should mention the threat level from the immediate neighbours listed in the picture is relatively low. Mostly lesbians (seriously, 3 of the houses are inhabited by lesbian couples) and single moms who would almost certainly go stay with family within the first few days of SHTF - they have semi-bare cupboards at the best of times.

Messages In This Thread
HN's home security scenario - by HunterNurturer - 23 September 2012, 12:01
RE: HN's home security scenario - by NorthernRaider - 23 September 2012, 12:29
RE: HN's home security scenario - by HunterNurturer - 23 September 2012, 13:20
RE: HN's home security scenario - by Metroyeti - 23 September 2012, 13:24
RE: HN's home security scenario - by NorthernRaider - 23 September 2012, 13:35
RE: HN's home security scenario - by Hrusai - 23 September 2012, 14:19
RE: HN's home security scenario - by bigpaul - 23 September 2012, 14:49
RE: HN's home security scenario - by HunterNurturer - 23 September 2012, 16:10
RE: HN's home security scenario - by NorthernRaider - 23 September 2012, 16:24
RE: HN's home security scenario - by Hrusai - 23 September 2012, 16:54
RE: HN's home security scenario - by Skean Dhude - 23 September 2012, 17:42