Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Water Butt Problem
28 September 2012, 19:41,
Water Butt Problem
During the summer (think there was a couple of weeks of sun somewhere during that time), the water butts got a healthy dose of Algae.
So I've been scrubbing them clean and jet washing them ready for the winter when, as always, our mains water trickles to a stop.

Comes with living on the end of a VERY long water pipe I suppose.

Problem is the 120 liter butts still feel 'slimy'.
Clean but slimy.
First time it's happened in 5 years.

Anyone got a quickie cure for this?
Please don't say flush them with hot water though, with 120 liter barrels it's just not practical.

28 September 2012, 19:46,
RE: Water Butt Problem
Try milton sterilysing tabs. It would probably take 5 or 6 of them to do 120l butt, I used them to sort out a 60l tank that had algie in it a couple of years ago and they worked fine. Cheap, and available in the baby section at tescos etc
You have the right to hold any beliefs you want. You do not have the right to have those beliefs automatically respected
28 September 2012, 20:41,
Never thought of that one, good tip.

29 September 2012, 11:20,
pressure washer is my go to for removing just about everything, a good hand scrub will get the worst off and loosen it and the pressure washer will obliterate the rest Smile

used to use pressure washer and some strong soap powder stuff, might've been soda crystals or something weird, to wash some exceptionally greasy crates from my local bakery, a good scrub got the majority off and sufficiently loosened the rest off for the pressure washer Smile

but IB1's idea sounds alot easier xD
29 September 2012, 12:19,
Yup, a splash of milton every now and again keeps green away. You can also use those clay and barley straw ball things to keep ponds clear. Lob a small clay ball in each barrel and nice sweet water.

Sailing away, not close to the wind.Heart
29 September 2012, 14:31,
Thanks guys and girls, all taken on board.

Pressure washing sort of worked, got the green gunk off but still left that 'orrible slimy feel.
So Milton is on the shopping list.
I'll let you know what happens.

Cheers.

1 October 2012, 13:41,
(28 September 2012, 19:46)IB1 Wrote: Try milton sterilysing tabs. It would probably take 5 or 6 of them to do 120l butt, I used them to sort out a 60l tank that had algie in it a couple of years ago and they worked fine. Cheap, and available in the baby section at tescos etc

Agreed IB1 .... works a treat.

LS
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

1 October 2012, 15:05,
I also had this happen and milton works well.
1 October 2012, 16:55,
Done and dusted.
Nice and smooth, non greasy, left it overnight, 6 tablets.
THanks all.

2 October 2012, 08:12,
To stop a build up of algea keep the water barrels covered to prevent light getting through to the water, most barrels are not fully opaque, any light getting in will allow algae to grow.
Military grade water containers are usually of much thicker opaque plastics.